Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I weighed JoJo yesterday and was totally gob smacked to find out she weighs 17.8 kilo (39 pounds)! I knew she was heavy to pick up and looks a little on the round side but that was a total shock! As you may or may not know she is a beagle cross with a cocker. I really need advice on how to get the weight off her. Her current food and exercise schedule is:

20 minute walk
breaky - half cup dry biscuits with one raw egg
40 minute free run/walk
dinner - handful of boiled rice, half a chicken thigh fillet & 3 chicken necks
treats - 1 chicken strip

I'm not sure what I can cut out without starving her? She will be starting agilty this Saturday so I am hoping the extra running around will help.

Any advise you can give would be a HUGE help.

Thank you

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well I'm not going to be of any help. It sounds like the exercise and food intake are reasonable. So I'm just as puzzled as you are. Perhaps it's more of a genetic thing since she's a mix breed. How old is she? Does the weight fluctuate?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She just keeps getting bigger! That's the only fluctuation. She's only 9 months old and she cant even keep up with my 15 month old cocker. I'm just not sure what to do?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
This could be as simple as too much food. Summer is 33 lbs. Big for a beagle but she has been that weight for a long time. She gets 3/4 cup of kibble 2x a day. Maybe 2 biscuits as well.

You may need to consult your vet. Jojo may have a thyroid issues.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Is there a reason why she gets an egg a day? Eggs are rather high in calories with the average medium sized egg at about 90 cals that's a lot for a medium sized dog. So I would start by cutting it down to one egg a week.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I think I would cut out the egg, reduce the biscuits and reduce the evening meal also. I have the same issue with my oldest female. She is only 2 1/2 and she weighs about 36 lbs. I hardly feed her. She only gets about 1 1/2 cups of dry kibble per day and yet she is hefty. She has been checked for thyroid issues before and there is no problem. I think some Beagles are just big boned. lol

·
Registered
889 Posts
My two are 20lbs and 25lbs and get just over 1 cup of dry kibble each per day. Plus I get treats made by a company called VitaLife, so they'll get a piece of dried chicken or dried sweet potato with a piece of dried duck around it. They're pretty low in fat and the dogs love them. But they only get a few per day. Both have really stable weights fortunately, but they act like they're just starving! Sometimes when I cook they'll get a piece of carrot too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I give the egg to make her coat shiny and also cause she seems to like it. Will cut to egg down to maybe a sunday treat? More JoJo is over weight and I cant keep weight on Jesie!

Today is the day that JoJo and I are on a diet! We have a chat last night and I explained that she has rolls of fat so she must go on a diet. I also explained that mummy has a few too many rolls aswell so i will diet with her. We increased our walk/run this morning from 20 mins to 35 mins and she was given 1/4 cup of biscuits for breaky plus a chicken neck. Tonight I'm planning on doing our normal walk and then she'll have mashed pumpkin and one chicken neck for tea.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
egg alternative

You girls are going to do great on your new healthy lifestyle!

Instead of the frequent eggs you can give JoJo a tsp or so of herring oil each day and a little bit of ground dried kelp. This is what I do with Ben (32lbs). He occasionally gets an egg (maybe once a week).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: egg alternative

Thanks silleb!

We went for a BIG free run around the park tonight and do you know for the first time ever she was able to keep up with my cocker, Jesie! Jesie I am convinced has ADHD so Jodie has never been able to out run her or keep up but tonight she did! I'm so excited!!!! Even my Mum commented that she was looking better!

Its given me the incentive I need to keep going! Look out world, me and my babies are barging through!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: JoJo's MumThanks guys. I give the egg to make her coat shiny and also cause she seems to like it. Will cut to egg down to maybe a sunday treat? More JoJo is over weight and I cant keep weight on Jesie!
Fish is also great for a dog's coat and isn't too fatty. I feed sardines regularly as well as mackeral. I have tried raw salmon heads too but the dogs found the a bit tough to get through.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
When ours put on weight, we cut out the normal treats and they get a raw carrot or apple instead.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again guys for the tips. I've tried the sardine's and she loves them! I can see that she's lost a little bit of weight which is great! We started Agility on Saturday and do you know she was BRILLIANT! We've never done it before and she was full of confidence. Straight through the tunnel, over the jumps and across the A frame. I was and still am so very proud of her. The Agility will help with the weight loss aswell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts