Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried 2 collars and he gets out of both when he wants to. Please recommend a good collar he cannot get off of.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
You may want to try a harness....but introduce it very slowly.

I tried a gentle leader with my beagle.....and she rolled around like a crocdile till she got it off.....which is what she does when you stick a sock on her head as well.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Is the collar on correctly? It should be tight enough that you are only able to stick two fingers in there. His ears should block the collar from coming off. I would try the harness if not, they are not too bad, but just remember, harness give a dog all four legs to pull you more with. :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Does he remove the collars randomly or by pulling on them when you're walking?

If it's randomly then you simply need to tighten the collars a little. If it's happening while walking then do yourself and the dog a favor and use a harness (a far, far better way to walk a dog).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Maybe you could try a martingale style collar. They are designed to tighten up a bit if the dog tries pulling or backing away, so I doubt there is much chance of your dog slipping out. They look like regular collars (they are not choke chains) but they have an extra loop of material. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
We use harnesses for our long walks. Roscoe was able to slip out of his collars no matter how tight we made them.

Gino has a Martingale collar and it is great!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. He manages to get out of his collar no matter how tight. It's not random, it's when we are walking and he just pulls and squeezes his head out and runs and I have to run after him and catch him. I tried a harness and he managed to get out of that too. I'll try a Martingale, I guess. Thanks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Is there something that triggers him to try and get out of the collar/harness when you're walking? I agree that the Martingale might be just what Buddy needs.

It might be that harnesses are just a little too big for 5 month old Buddy. Maybe he'll grow into them as he gets bigger.

Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there something that triggers him to try and get out of the collar/harness when you're walking? I agree that the Martingale might be just what Buddy needs.

It might be that harnesses are just a little too big for 5 month old Buddy. Maybe he'll grow into them as he gets bigger.

Good luck!
Something he smells maybe, I don't know. I'll often tug on the leash to get him to come and stop sniffing so much. I'll sometimes catch him trying to pull off and I'll stop him, but sometimes I won't catch him and once he's off, he'll just take off and won't respond to anything, including food.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We can only walk Willie using a harness; he pulls and chokes with a leash on his collar and won't be deterred no matter what is used. But he's 2 years old and full grown. He's never slipped out of his harness, but he can slip out of his collar.

Willie also won't bat an eye at food proffered when he's chasing a rabbit, and typically, there's nothing he wouldn't do for a dog treat. I once spent 45 minutes crouching around my neighbor's house in the middle of the night trying in vain to get him to pay attention to a bag of treats and not the rabbit he was stalking long enough to grab him, when he'd climbed/leaped the fence in our yard due to said rabbit. Finally, I got close enough to pounce and grab him, but it wasn't due to any interest in his usually beloved treats. Nothing can stop that scenting/hunting drive.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Molly always wears a harness for walking, she will twist and turn if she gets frightened but hasn't escaped it. She wears a collar around the house just for safety to have tags on, but then the harness goes on for walks. If you have a good pet store by your home, the staff should be willing to let you fit your pup with a proper harness.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well, maybe it wouldn't hurt to use a martengale collar/or halty lead with a harness. It would be walking with two leashes, but at least you have something to back up? Maybe it will make is harder for him to get out of too.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'd vote for the harness also. Casie can squirm out of anything he doesn't like...coats, collars, etc. And once he's out, he's gone. The harness that was suggested is spendy, but it's the best I've found....

Good luck!

Cathy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I got a Martingale collar, but Buddy got out of it today and it took me an hour to get him, with a treat. Maybe I didn't have it tight enough though. I tightened it up a little. I just let him out to do his business and he somehow slipped out.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Well I got a Martingale collar, but Buddy got out of it today and it took me an hour to get him, with a treat. Maybe I didn't have it tight enough though. I tightened it up a little. I just let him out to do his business and he somehow slipped out.

Hmm, that surprises me. It takes me forever to get the darned thing off of Gino when I need to and there is slack in it, it is not tight to his neck.

Maybe it just needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We put our beagle, Hunter, outside on a lead/run and use only a collar. He pulls very hard on the lead and got out of a few of the "snap-type" collars. We have found that collars that have a buckle instead of a snap-lock work much better. The buckle only gets tighter the harder he pulls. We also, walk on a harness...much easier! Tr the Yuppy Puppy harness...it has soft sherpa fleece for around their legs...at PETCO!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts