Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I wrote awhile ago about my 3 year old Ginger's limp. It got really bad Wednesday again (after she hadn't been limping for a few weeks), so we took her to the vet. He decided to put her on an anti-inflammatory, Metacam, and rest (leashed potty breaks, no playing, running, etc.) We were going to try it for two weeks and then take x-rays if it was still flaring up. We were suppose to my parent's cabin for the holiday weekend, but decided to stay home to avoid the risk of her tearing it and needing surgery.

We started the meds with her Thursday morning. We didn't notice any reaction to the meds on Thursday (come to find out on Friday I found several poopy piles in the basement...possibly from Thursday. She doesn't usually have accidents)...but early afternoon Friday, she started going crazy licking the carpet and then eating grass like it was going out of style but didn't throw up. I called the vet and he said to give it to her one more day and if the same thing happens again to stop the meds and call him Monday. Later in the day, while we were out, she ended up throwing up. Today (Saturday).. we gave her the meds again in the morning and then we were out of the house early afternoon. We came home to diarrhea all over the house. She seemed better, so i fed her her early evening meal as normal. She threw all of it up about 2 1/2 hours later undigested (she didn't gag or anything like normal...she was laying right next to me and I didn't know anything was wrong until I heard it hit the floor...it happened again about 10 minutes later). We are gonna stop the meds and call him Monday..

My question is... has anyone ever had their beagle on Metacam? Did they have any similar reaction? Any suggestions of what I should do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
511 Posts
It sounds like the stated possible side effects from Metacam.

Quote:The most common side effects of Metacam have been vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite. Metacam, as with all NSAIDs, can on occasion cause side effects involving the kidney and liver organ systems.
Metacam

I think the concern would be if the side effects are transitory in nature and will disappear, or if they are serious and the medication should be stopped. The website was pretty weak on good information.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Could well be a reaction to the Metacam.
I would contact the Vet and tell them as there are other Meds she could take instead.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I talked to him Friday, he told me to contact them on Monday if she was still having a not so good reaction... I will be calling tomorrow to see what we can do for her.

Thanks!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Definitely sounds like a reaction to the meds -- reaction should stop when you stop the meds but that doesn't mean that the stomach irritation will stop right away. I would definitely recommend that, if you have not done so already, you stop all regular foods/treats for 24 hours. It will seem like an eternity and I expect Ginger will whine/beg for food before the 24 hours ends but don't give in. Then feed her plain, white boiled rice. You can try a little every few hours (you can add some low sodium chicken broth to make it more palatable). If she keeps that down, then you can add plain, boiled or poached white chicken to the rice. Do that for at least two days. Then gradually add in some of her dog food until you are back to regular food. At any point if she gets sick again, back up on the steps. I would suggest that you hold off on any new meds until she is back on her regular food, i.e., in a few days. There are lots of options to Metacam but please don't let your vet put her on Rimadyl -- way too many horror stories. Metacam is basically a NSAID for dogs -- just like with humans, some dogs can tolerate one and not others. The only one that didn't bother my Maggie's GI tract was Deramaxx.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: judymaggieThere are lots of options to Metacam but please don't let your vet put her on Rimadyl -- way too many horror stories.
I second the not putting her on Rimadyl. One of my dogs had a very bad experience with it. Our senior, Misty has been on Dermaxx for at least 4 years, and has had no ill effects from it.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
My greyhound is currently on Metacam and is not having any problems, he has a cast-iron stomach! I would definately speak to your vet for a medication change. I just reviewed a bunch of options with my vet the other day. If this is a short term issue, you probably have more options that I do, since Jake is a senior and in pain daily.

Hope your pup feels better soon!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice/comments. We took Ginger to our vet today, but he seemed to think that she ate something that maybe got backed up...no I don't think so. He didn't really want to admit that the meds were what made her sick. We got a little irritated and didn't have him do any other treatment with her yet. We are gonna continue with the bland diet for the time being and see how it goes. We will go to another vet if it doesn't get better/worsens. So far, she will still eat and drink.

***As I was writing this she got sick in the bed. Guess we might need to find a new vet tomorrow. It is so frustrating, and I feel so bad because there is nothing I can do to help her feel better at this point

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well...it is 2am and I can't sleep. All I can do is worry about Ginger. She got sick again. I was up with her so luckily I got her to the back door and she vomited on the porch. It was sort of a dark orange type of color. The vomit/bile from the hour before had been yellow. I am getting really concerned here. I put her in her crate with a water dish for the time being. I want to catch the vomit if she does it again and so it doesn't go all over my floor, but I am afraid to go to sleep.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts