Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I recently got a beagle from Kijiji, after I got him I asked the breeder for expected size and he said 17 inch and 25 pounds (didn’t respond after that)

He is now about 10 weeks, 8 lbs, and between 9 and 10 inches! The weight seems normal for a larger beagle but the height seems very tall for a 10 week beagle. Do you think he will be 17 inches like the breeder said, or even taller?

I love him and would never return him but I’m concerned about size/breed since I live alone in an apartment (building has a small dog park though). I will do the DNA test as well but thought I’d ask experienced beagle lovers here! Pictures attached (within last 2 days)
Dog Blue Carnivore Dog breed Pet supply
Dog Carnivore Scent hound Dog breed Companion dog
Dog Tartan Comfort Carnivore Working animal
Dog Comfort Carnivore Dog breed Fawn
Dog Blue Carnivore Dog breed Pet supply
Dog Comfort Carnivore Fawn Working animal

Dog Comfort Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

Dog Tartan Comfort Carnivore Working animal

Dog Carnivore Scent hound Dog breed Companion dog

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi! I recently got a beagle from Kijiji, after I got him I asked the breeder for expected size and he said 17 inch and 25 pounds (didn’t respond after that)

He is now about 10 weeks, 8 lbs, and between 9 and 10 inches! The weight seems normal for a larger beagle but the height seems very tall for a 10 week beagle. Do you think he will be 17 inches like the breeder said, or even taller?

I love him and would never return him but I’m concerned about size/breed since I live alone in an apartment (building has a small dog park though). I will do the DNA test as well but thought I’d ask experienced beagle lovers here! Pictures attached (within last 2 days) View attachment 42470 View attachment 42467 View attachment 42468 View attachment 42469 View attachment 42470 View attachment 42471
View attachment 42469

View attachment 42468
View attachment 42467
I got the same quote with my beagle. He's AKC registered and he's a big boy. His best weight is 30-35 pounds. He's reached 40, which makes him husky but not fat. Probably 16 or 17 inches. Oh, well. That's my boy. Wasn't going to show him anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts

I love him and would never return him but I’m concerned about size/breed since I live alone in an apartment (building has a small dog park though). I will do the DNA test as well but thought I’d ask experienced beagle lovers here! Pictures attached (within last 2 days) View attachment 42470 View attachment 42467 View attachment 42468 View attachment 42469 View attachment 42470 View attachment 42471
View attachment 42469

View attachment 42468
View attachment 42467

He is just adorable - so much cuteness going on there! I am between beagles and my heart melts every time I see a one. I think the height/weight seem about right for a taller male beagle. A few more months and I'll be ready for my puppy search. I hope mine ends up being on the taller side (less bending over, lol).

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
He's so cute. 9 human years makes him about 1-1/2yrs.is that about right? [ 1 human yr = 5 beagle yrs]
I see you're in LA.. not far from me in Ventura county. Cassie was born in Missouri and was flown out here.
Cassie here...does he like older girls? Im 10yrs old but still frisky.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha no he is actually 4 months old (the pictures on embark are more or less up to date). The equation is true for later years, but the first year alone is equivalent to 15 human years is what I’ve read.

He met my friend’s older dog and they played well together! If Cassie is nearby I’m sure he’d love to play

·
Registered
138 Posts
I finally got his DNA result back and he is indeed a beagle. Full result here for anyone curious.
His expected weight is 27 lbs and I hope that’s true cause he is already giving me sore arms just from carrying him off the couch all day (I let him on the bed but not alone on the couch… he has his own couch)
Thank you for sharing his DNA results with us, it's so interesting! So exactly what he looks like is what is predicted by his genetics, it fascinates me. I especially loved that he's a male and you could do the maternal and paternal halotype, a very interesting piece on the evolution of the breed through time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts