Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reading up on the causes but Jack never did this until this week and I've had him since Memorial Day. He woke up the other day with it soooo bad I thought he was going to stroke out. My Malamutes did it occasionaly but this is every day throughout the day and he threw up a little this morning. I have never seen it so severe as it was the other day.

I've wondered for a while now if he could have an allergy because he scratches all over his body a lot during the day - more than is normal. I just read about nasal mites and Jack did live on a 6ft chain outside 24/7 before I rescued him.

Does anyone know anything about this? I am going to take him to the vet as soon as I can get in but wondered if anyone else has had this and if it was related to an allergy?

He looks so miserable...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Beagles have much more sensitive pallets and are more prone to reverse sneezing. However, if he has very long attacks and also scratching all over, maybe you should talk to the vet to give him something to ease up the attacks.

Poor Jack, give him extra belly rubs from us.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Definitely sounds like a trip to the vet! My vet has always told me the reverse sneezing is harmless (Toby does it a lot), but the scratching along with it sounds worrisome. You can give Jack Benadryl for the scratching in the meantime. Not sure of his size, so you might want to call the vet for dosage.

I hope he is better soon!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It sounds like allergies to me. Jersey had that problem a couple of years ago. She would go into a reverse sneeze every time we went outside. Turns out she did have allergies. The vet prescribed a generic for Chlortrimeton which really helped out.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Popcorn reverse sneezes much more often than the others, but a few months after she arrived she started to do it way more than was usual even for her... we started to look into what might be wrong (and allergies were definitely on the list, so was a doggy cold) but then she went back to just doing it a normal (for her) amount and so we didn't follow up any futher. I would definitely suggest a vet trip unless he goes back to a more normal amount within the next few days.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If he has another attack try lightly cupping your hand over the end of his snout. This usually helps stop the reverse sneezes. Hope Jack feels better soon!

·
Registered
223 Posts
benedryl for children (or half of the adult dose) is good for his allergies until you can take him to the doctor.

Threedognight is right - cupping your hand over his snout can help. Some other tricks that have worked for me is giving Arty an ice cube, or rubbing his throat.

The best thing I have found so far to stop his sneezes is to actually cover his nose so he cant breath through his nose and will breathe out his mouth instead, which stops the sneezing almost immediately.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Did you get to the vet?
Our first two beagles had very bad reverse sneezing. It never seemed to harm them.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It does sound like an allergy problem to me - especially since there is a lot of scratching. Benadryl is a good thing to keep on hand - <span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">I think the Pepto Bismol post has dosages for some human meds for the furkids. I would definiitely check with the vet though. Some of my beagles have reverse sneezing episodes at times - others very rarely. They don't seem to really hurt them as much as they do US. With my first beagle it scared the heck out of me. Now I just take it in stride and try not to make a big deal out of it. Sometimes rubbing their tummy or throats will help. I actually have one beagle that I can tell to stop and she does
. Neither JoJo or Tanna have the problem and their kids are all sneezing free - I think that is a GOOD thing to breed out. Since this is a fairly recent thing and is accompanied by the itching problem, I'd check with the vet. He might need something a little stronger than benadryl for allergies. </span>

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. We see the vet tomorrow as I wanted to see my particular vet and he was only in on Sunday.

Jack's reverse sneezing hasn't been anywhere near as bad as that first day or two - but, I still think it's somewhat allergy related and somewhat that Beagles are prone to it.

I've been rubbing his throat and, actually, blowing in his nose with his mouth shut. That's what the vet told me to do with my Mal's and it forces them to swallow which mostly stops the attack. Rubbing the throat area really works the best for Jack.

Now, on to some other news. Last night I just rescued another dog - a friend who got me Jack from the Amish farm called and said a puppy had been returned to the farm from the buyer because the family dog was too aggressive with it. I could not let it stay at that farm so sight unseen, I had her bring it to me. I am looking for a home for it and may have found one.

Now I don't know how the forum feels about Puggles and, to be honest, oh well, I had to rescue him. I got him out of a bad situation and just look at how cute he is! His name is Miller and he's three months old and the sweetest puppy I have ever seen. He is soooooo gentle and shy and just as cute as can be. Say a prayer that I find him a good home.

Attachments

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Miller is adorable... and I do hope you find him the best forever home possible.

Keep us posted on Jack's allergy/RS after the vet sees him. I'm sure it's nothing serious.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Miller is adorable. He's got a great little face. As for how this forum feels about puggles? Well, we're not biased about any kind of dog. We love them all. Beagles, beagle mixes and honorary beagles are all welcome here!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whew! I go to another forum that is not as accepting of these mixed breeds (darn, I can't remember the name used for the purposeful mixing of two breeds - need more coffee!). Some people get quite nasty about it and I don't like that. And, sadly, even at my age, my feelings get hurt when someone slams me, even subtley, in public...

Thank you!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Aw, no one here would ever slam such a cute face! Or such a good beagle mom for that matter. Everyone here has been super welcoming and cool even though I have a beagle mix, not a purebred. I think the word you're looking for is hybrid or designer dog. Henry's a Speagle (German shepherd/beagle) but I don't believe he was intentional, lol!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tooooooo funny! I'm not sure I can even visualize that!!! But I do love the name - Speagle - that's cute. And YES, the word I was searching for was designer dog (good dog/god you'd think I'd remember that one since I worked in fashion!!!). Another forum has thread after thread of bashing designer dogs like Goldendoodles, etc. My very good friend has a Goldendoodle who is just a delightful blond (and I don't mean just hair color!) dog named Max. He's just a total spaz in that he is so tall and gangly and maybe just a little on the dumb side, but such a cutie I love him. You should see Jack and him play - it's so funny - all Jack can reach are his ankles and he just hold on for dear life and Max drags him around. It's too cute. I can't believe that Max just takes it - he never gets upset and Jack can be persistent if nothing else.

Well, thanks for the kind words - have a happy day!

P.S. I've included a photo for the fun of it

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Max looks like a cutie. My friend has a labradoodle that she found through what she thought was a rescue on petfinder. When the dog got here it had coccidia and was covered in ticks. The vet said he was a puppy mill dog. He is a very sweet big dog and smart. He learns so fast. He looks a lot like Max, except for color.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I forgot to give the diagnosis for Jack!!! He most likely has allergies and I could have the tests done but they are expensive and not 100% accurate. My vet said to give him Benedryl for five days or so and see if the scratching and sneezing respond.

Nasal mites are out because the vet said they are VERY rare here in Michigan and he has seen only one case in 19 years. Jack does have a little cough though that is most likely a mild virus and not a part of the reverse sneezing and scratching. The vet said it would probably go away in a week on its own.

Another symptom of allergies - which I would NEVER have put together - is anal gland fullness. Jack had been expressed just two weeks ago and has been, hmmmmm, expressing himself frequently around the house. When the vet was telling me about his own dog's summertime allergies, he said he had to express his anals all the time during the summer because they filled up from the reaction. Who knew??? I could intuit a few things about allergies but I would never have guessed they affected anal glands and sure enough, Jack's were full and just two weeks after they had been expressed last time. You learn something new every day...

So, Jack is fine for now. Let's hope the Bene does its job cause the only dermatologist for the skin test is at Michigan State, an hour from here...not that Jack isn't worht the drive, I'd do it in a Michigan snow storm if need be but I'm praying the bene works first!

OK, having just said that. I gave Jack his first pill 20 minutes ago and he just threw up!!! Yikes, can he be allergic to the allergy medicine!!?? I've got a call into the vet already - geez I hope it's nothing. I'll let you know.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sorry to hear about Jack's allergy issues -- if he has a problem taking Benedryl, there are lots of alternatives. My vet has me give Maggie generic Tavist -- I buy it a discount store.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, the vet just called and said to give it to Jack one more time but after a meal which might help coat his stomach. If that doesn't work - judymaggie - do you think I should try the Tavist or are they all of the same ingredients???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts