Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When can I expect Winston to sleep thru the night?? He WAS sleeping until about 7am which was perfect, but about a month ago he started getting up between 4 & 6 am and won't settle back down. Some nights hes up around 2AM as well. He wakes up scratching like there is no tomorrow, and whining so I suit up to go outside, then open his crate, he ignores me and lies there. So I force him out cuz I'm dressed already, take him to pee, then if I put him back in his crate he whines for two hours!! My DH insists I put him on the bed, but then he just scratches or tries to chew off a leg or tries to bite us so he still keeps us awake.
I refuse to feed him till at least 7AM because I don't want him thinking he'll get fed if he gets up during the night.
I am so sleep deprived now that I can't even enjoy a morning walk with him anymore.
HELP!! Any suggestions to get him to sleep at night??

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You could try to get him worn out during the day, though that can be tough to do, as energetic as beagles seem to be. You could limit his water for the last couple of hours before bedtime to make sure he's not topping off the tank, as it were, and making a potty issue something that causes him to wake up.

My dogs have an established bedtime routine that helps them settle down. When I'm about to go to bed, I tell the dogs it's time to go potty, get a treat, and go to bed - they recognize the words. I take them outside and praise them for going potty, give them a treat (sometimes asking them to do tricks), and then go right to the bedroom. I think this helps them be able to settle down more quickly.

Bones used to frequently wake me up in the middle of the night and not want to go back to sleep. Living in a one-story house makes it easier for me to get up and let her out without having to put on clothes over my pjs. If she wakes me up, I get up, take her outside, praise her if she goes to the potty, and then put her right back in bed with us (no treat, or she might start waking me up just so she can get an extra goodie). It took a while for her to get it, and I do remember having weeks of broken sleep because of her behavior, but she eventually learned that night time was sleep time for everybody. She has woken me up an hour before my alarm goes off for the past two days, so it's not a perfect system.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Have your vet check him for allergies. They can give him allergy pills to help with the scratching.

When ours were young they got up a few times in the night to go pee. Ours have always slept in the bed with us. Maybe if he slept in the bed he would sleep through the night??

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I think you should deal with the scratching...maybe that's why he is waking up or having trouble sleeping. Poor little guy.

And although it's not for everybody, ours do sleep thru the night in our bed...the little stinkers.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been dealing with the scratching, he was on medication, which he has now finished. It took away the rash, but not the scratching. I don't see any point in continuing with meds if it doesn't help, especially since it contains prednisone, which makes him pee more. (while he was on it we were up 3-4 times per night)
He sees the vet again in a week. I would love to let him sleep in our bed, but until he is fully housebroken, and has learned some obedience, I don't think that would be a good idea.
The vet thought his itching might be because his coat and skin seemed dry. Any tips to help that?
I certainly try to wear him out in the eves. 4-5 walks after 4pm and no food or drink after 8. I think I'm more tired and hungry than he is!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm no help, since Duke slept all night through from the day we brought him home at 10 weeks (yes, we were lucky).

Does Winston's food have corn? That used to make the labs itch. Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
There's medicated shampoo you can buy for dry skin. I use it on Elvis (otherwise he's scratching a lot, too) and we have to use it on izzy some during the winter, too.... not so much now, but especially when she was a puppy.

Elvis isn't fully housebroken/trained yet, either, but he does do a good job of staying on the bed and sleeping at night. He goes potty at 2am, just before I go to bed, again at 7am when hubby gets home, and then goes back to sleep 'til I get up. Today he slept in 'til 11:30.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Hmmm, ours don't have the dry skin. Ours have allergies. Our vet suggested we give them an over the counter Antihistimine called Tavist. We use the generic brand of it. But you would have to talk to your vet about it. Talk to your vet about this or if he recommends a special shampoo for his itching. We take our doggies colars off at night so they don't jingle when they do itch and scratch.

Good luck. It all just takes time and a lot of growing up on the pups part and one day he will be a super good little fella.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm undecided if it is allergies or dry skin or a combo of both. The pills the vet gave him did take away the rash. The itching is mostly at night and in AM for a while. I thought maybe it was his bedding in the crate so I changed that when I bought him a bigger crate, but nothing has changed. He slept with me since about 4AM last night and he can scratch so hard I feel the mattress shake, He kept me awake just with scratching.
I have heard of tavist and I think an antihistamine will help. I just don't want the same one the vet prescribed because it contains prednisone too. I have yet to see how prednisone is the cure all for dogs.

Is the medicated shampoo prescription from the vet? I looked at an over the counter one which contains oatmeal and was recomended for dry skin. I just don't know if a bath will help or hinder.
Any thoughts on that?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If the rash is gone but the itching persists, I'm thinking allergies. I've used Chlortrimiton and Benedryl with Jersey when she's had allergy problems, both with great results. That was under the direction of my vet though, so I'd definitely at least call to find out what your vet thinks and what dosage would be right for Winston. Do you notice the itching more at certain times, like right after he comes in from outside? Jersey gets inverted sneeze attacks sometimes with the changing of the seasons and they almost always occur right after she's been outside and sniffing around. I know you said you changed his bedding. Are you washing his bedding though? Could he be allergic to the type of laundry soap you use? I know that's a big skin irritant for people sometimes.

As for baths, if it's dry skin, too many baths could dry out his skin more. Does his skin look dry and flaky where he's scratching? If it's allergies, a bath with a nice soothing shampoo should help.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No flakes when he scratches, I do try to brush him every day or two though. Once we get started, a brushing sort of soothes him for a while. I haven't used soap on his bedding for a while now, thought of that too. Itching is definately more prominent at night and in AM as everyone is trying to rise and shine. Has a vet appointment Saturday, I will definately be asking about an antihistamine. I think I will try the bath thing tonight. I have only bathed him a couple times, but that was due to the mud he rolled in.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hmm, if it's dry skin, i remember reading somewhere on this board that a small drop of olive oil in a dog's kibble can help. Others may have to corroborate that as I am definitely no expert.

·
Registered
250 Posts
all good advice for alergies.. diesel had them and the doc gave me a spray cause the rash was only in his ears. so that helps when i put it on when his scratching gets bad...

but as for ignoring you when you open the crate... i would just keep doing what your doing and take him outside. just like a toddler he is trying to push your boundries. diesel had the same problem so i decided if he wanted to wake me up to go out side he was going to go outside. usually he would get out there and turn right back around and scratch to get in. after about 30 seconds i would open the door.

he is amost a year old and he still does this sometimes. but not very often. so it takes a few months to get rid of the behavior

·
Registered
889 Posts
Rocky had pretty dry skin when we first got him. We've tried a couple different shampoos, but honestly he's been much better since we changed his food. I know food is a big cause of allergies in dogs.

We've also given the liquid children's benadryl (dosage was from the vet). We would just pour it on his food and he'd gulp it down. I would say that odds are if he's scratching that much, that's probably what's keeping him awake.

We crated our two until we were sure they were housebroken and now they do great all night. Although they will still wake us up on the weekends by about 8am, a little later if we don't make eye contact.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So last night he made it until 6AM, might have made it later if My hubby's cell phone alarm hadn't gone off(he didn't need it set anyway)
I made Winston go out, only to discover he had peed in his crate. He has done this a few times before. I really doubt that he was awake anytime earlier because if I am asleep at all, I wake up when feather hits the floor. He has never peed in his crate overnight before either, it's always been during the day, and he's not usually in his crate more than 3 hours at a time in the day anyway.
I'm absolutely stumped.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts