Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
She has spots and is golden brown and mostly black View attachment 42687
The only true, proven way to know for sure is to do a DNA test if you didn't get your beagle from a breeder who had previously tested parents. Beagles and Foxhounds can look similar. A foxhound will be much larger at 21-23 inches in height and about 60-65 lbs (so about double the size of a beagle) A Beagle shouldn't get more than 15" high and up to about 30 lbs (but just like people, there are exceptions). Both are scent hunting hounds; traditionally a foxhound requires the hunter to be on horseback because of their larger size they cover ground quicker. Beagles were bred to hunt rabbit, hare etc, are smaller in size so a hunter could follow on foot.

The spots you mention is known a ticking and is an acceptable marking in a beagle. Yours appears to be a tricolor (tan, black, white) with ticking. There are about 25 different color combinations for a beagle, with 10 or so being the most common.

·
Super Moderator
5,386 Posts
Looks like a mix to me but super cute! My beagle mix was one of the smartest dogs and so full of character. My others have been pure beagle but all have different personalities too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts