Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just adopted a 6-8 year old girly. She is the sweetest thing ever! BUT she goes #1 & #2 in the house! Worst part is...WE HAVE A DOGGY DOOR! She seems to go more in the house when people are home than when we aren't. She has no shame and does not hide when she does it. In fact, she does it when we are 2 feet away from her. It's so frustrating. She is on antibiotics for an infected spay (thanks beagle rescue!) and meds for seizures. I hope that has something to do with it and that it will get better. ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!??????????

·
Registered
193 Posts
Treat her the same as you would a puppy.Take her out every hour give her your chosen command word,then praise and treat when she gets it right.Do not tell her off if she goes in the house,just clean it up.Make sure that she is given regular oppertunities to go out and go with her so that you are on hand to praise her when she performs.
Do you know her background?If she was kenneled she would not have been housetrained.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing i know is that she was abandoned probably when she started having seizures which was i want to say 3 months ago. She was living in a house with probably up to 13 other beagles and then was spayed and then i had the pleasure of meeting her and took her home. She's had a crazy couple of months and i just hope it gets better! I've been considering a crate. I live with 3 other people and it's just not fair to my housemates when they come home and have to smell or clean it up :-(
i have been trying to do that but she just wants to be around me (so cute) and not sniff around the yard to pee. She hasn't grasped the doggy door as much as i try. i just want someone to say IT'S NOT HOPELESS!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I too will have to start toilet training my pup in a week and im dreading it, so i hope everything goes well.
And really good on you for getting a rescue Beagle /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I NEED TO FIND A LIST OF ALL DOG FRIENDLY BARS/RESTAURANTS/SHOPS IN BALTIMORE!!! i want to take her everywhere i go!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Re: Help! House Training guidance for an older do

I did a google search for Dog Friendly and found a few listings for Baltimore. Link ! There are probably more out there you can find if you dig a little more deeply with the search engine, but just scratching the surface, looks like you can take Punkin lots of places /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
First of all - it isn't hopeless...

It sounds like she has been through a lot recently and probably is just finding it all overwhelming and, even if she had been housetrained, it isn't at the top of her mind right now. We have three rescues and the second and third definitely did need a housetraining refresher when we got them... but it didn't take long for them to figure it all out (again). I agree with the others who have said you just have to treat her like a puppy and as if you are starting housetraining all over again - the good thing is she has a full size bladder, etc. so as soon as she picks up what you want she should be good to go!

I also think it can take a while for some dogs to figure out the doggy door - I know we had friends with a doggy door who looked after our eldest Booker one time, and notwithstanding that they had another dog that would go in and out of the doggy door all the time, in the two weeks Booker was there she never quite got it and would wait patiently beside the doggy door for extended periods of time for someone to open the real door to let her out! And she really isn't a dense dog ordinarily!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you for rescuing an older, special needs dog! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/PBnervous2.gif

And it sounds like you are smitten with your little girl.

My Henry was a sick, adult rescue when we got him and I never, ever thought he would housetrain. He was so frightened of everything and everybody that I felt guilty raising my voice if he messed. And boy did he mess.

Like Vonny said...be consistent, use the same word for pee or poop all of the time. Praise her and give her oppurtunities to go out.

I never thought Henry would train but he did and I feel like I can safely say that if Henry picked it up, anybody can.

Incidently, we are going through it again. Just adopted a one year old and he peed in the bed last night! That's a first for us. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Hang in there and good luck.

~Denise

·
Registered
865 Posts
You have gotten good advice already, I just wanted to say hang in there. It WILL happen!! She sounds like a great dog that loves you very much!! It is wonderful that she finally has you!

On the crate, Toby is crate trained and is perfectly happy to be in there - it's his quite place! Toby is still crated when we leave the house. He gets timid when he is out and home alone. He feels much safer, I guess, in his crate when we aren't here.

You have to be consistent with the crate, too. Crate training is a process of its own!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives." - Sue Murphy

Oh i love that quote! i think that is the problem i'm having with Punkin! She forgets why we're outside! I'm constantly reminding her and boy do i praise when she FINALLY GOES! It's like a ray of sunshine beats down on her and all is right with the world. haha.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

THANK YOU all for your advice! Great news! She used the doggy door on her own last night to poo! Ahh Progress!

i have to put some pictures up here! i have the cutest one of her in my bed as i'm making it, not budging. Like under the fitted sheet not moving at all. Cute lil gal!

Of all the dogs that are out there for adoption, it just made/makes sense for me to adopt an older pup. Bless her heart, not mine :)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

A belated /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/help.gif to BW! Having a senior pup myself, I am thrilled that you opted to adopt an older beagle. I bet that, once Punkin becomes accustomed to all the positive feedback in your home, she will progress rapidly. You definitely have to get those photos posted!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Punkins Mom!I NEED TO FIND A LIST OF ALL DOG FRIENDLY BARS/RESTAURANTS/SHOPS IN BALTIMORE!!! i want to take her everywhere i go!
Thank you so much for saving her.... can we have some pictures? I love pictures!!!

I found a website where you have all of the Baltimore Dog Friendly places... enjoy, and again - take lots of pictures /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts