Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 year old beagle has started humping my wife's leg and then barking at her for up to 5 mins or more as if she is having a conversation with her. As well as this she bites my wife repeatedly and i have to break them up. Can anyone tell me whats going on please.
My beagle's name is Embraer, she is female and just 1 year old.
Thanks
Barry.

·
Registered
837 Posts
No one is really going to be able to tell you what is going on via the net - we can give you an idea, but you really need a professional trainer to come in and assess the dog in person.

Where do you live? Maybe we can recommend a trainer for you?

What training do you do with your dog? She is an adolescent so will be at an age where she will want to challenge your authority, if you are not giving her clear signals that you are the boss.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Another thing is: exercise her as much as you can. It sounds like she has excess energy that she doesn't know what to do with!

Did you do obedience training with her? If not, highly recommended. Maybe agility would help too....

One thing is for sure, your wife should be the one to tell her off and not you. Your wife should be her leader as well as you. She with no doubt thinks she is superior to your wife.

A trainer will be able to help more.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It sounds like dominance issues. Training and exercise would be helpful. I would start when she humps, remove her immediately with a stern, firm NO. Then ignore her for 5-10 minutes.

I do agree with the others. Obedience training is immensely helpful. Check with your vet and local pet stores for trainers and schedules.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm no expert but that sounds like a dominance thing to me too. I would contact a trainer/behaviorist though to get a better answer. Obedience training was great for us. We saw a huge behavior change in Jersey within a few classes. She was only a puppy when we got her, so her issues were just your typical puppy things. And like Eleanor said, your wife needs to be the one making Embrear stop, not you. She's never going to learn her place in the pack (which is at the bottom) that way. I would also consider a vet trip to rule out any physical problems.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Also, is she spayed? They are more likely to hump if they are not spayed/neutered. It does sound like dominance issues more than anything though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have had only one dog who was a humper, but he was a male. He was about 11 months when he started and he was neutered, so it was a dominance thing with him. He was a rat terrier, so smaller than a beagle, but pretty aggressive. We got to the point where we would have spray bottles in pretty much every room and when we started we would tell him no, spritz him and igore him. It worked, kind of. I think he more just grew out of it. It also really helped that we got him in obedience training. So with him it was definetly him testing his boundries.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Yes, spray bottles, add a little lemon juice if he gotten use to water. And keep saying no in a firm tone.
Puppy training as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input.
I have had Bark Busters come out some months ago to help with training and she is quite good with me.She sits comes and stays for me. She was also good with my wife. The trouble has really only started since we came back from holidays. We were gone for a week so i dont know if that would have anything to do with her behaviour.
Thanks again for all your comments.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: ImOverItThanks for all the input.
I have had Bark Busters come out some months ago to help with training and she is quite good with me.She sits comes and stays for me. She was also good with my wife. The trouble has really only started since we came back from holidays. We were gone for a week so i dont know if that would have anything to do with her behaviour.
Thanks again for all your comments.
Ok, so I am guessing you are in Australia (so am I). Bark Busters is a terrible franchise, and their so-called trainers only have to complete a 4-6 week course on basic training before they can help others. I would NEVER recommend them in a million years. Which state are you in? I could direct you to someone much better, who will help you eliminate the issues you are having.

Going away for a week should not cause the behaviour you are describing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts