Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eek, Gracie just learned that bees do not like to be eaten! Hubby was walking her about 30 mins ago and she gobbled a bee, then immediately spit it out. Hubby squashed bee (he thinks a yellow jacket..bee or wasp?) and was pretty sure the stinger was gone. I came home shortly after this happened and her lip and partway up her cheek are puffy. We can't find the stinger, but the swelling is pretty obvious (her left upper lip now hangs about 3/4 inch lower than right). It doesn't seem to be bothering her and her breathing is completely normal. She's still drinking water and was playful as could be when I came in the door. She's tired from her walk and we want to try to look a bit more for the stinger, so we are trying to get her to nap a bit. Our vet is closed (ironically we were there this morning for her last set of boosters)and I'm not sure if this warrants an emergency. But we are a little freaked out, it's our first puppy and she's only 4 mo's old. Should we ice it? Give her baby benadryl? Go to emergency vet? Any insight would be greatly appreciated by both of us!
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I am sorry, I do not have any advice to offer as this has never happened to one of our dogs.
Maybe you can call the emergency vet and see what they recommend?

I hope someone else can offer some advice, best of luck, and please share what the remedy turns out to be, it sounds like she is fine if she is behaving normally.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RosCole! So far so good, the swelling has gone down about halfway, she's playing tug and acting like nothing even happened. I did call the emergency vet, they just said to watch it and make sure her breathing was ok. My childhood dog used to get bit all the time (she just loved to bite at anything flying!) and was allergic to something in lake water (but loved to swim) so I had an idea of progression and warning signs, but it is just so different now that it's my lil' pup! As a kid I remember the vet having us use benadryl, but that was after our dog was 2 yrs old. I am just so happy that her swelling is down and she seems unaware anything even happened!

Thanks again for the support!

·
Registered
889 Posts
A few months ago Daisy came back inside the house from poking around in the yard and both her lips and nose were so swollen. We think she was sniffing around and sniffed right through a red ant hill. Her breathing was also normal so we gave her some anti-histamine and just watched her. But she is 3yrs, so much older than your little one.

I always say, if you're really worried, it never hurts to call the ER and talk with them. How is she doing today?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yes, how is the little one doing today?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Much better, thank you for asking! Her swelling is completely gone. She was really sleepy last night, but I think that's more to do with the booster shots she had gotten yesterday morning. I did check with ER vet about any possible reactions between the shots and the bee sting, and they said not to worry.

Except for the swelling, I don't think she even noticed anything happened! Hopefully she'll stay away from bees now!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yay! Glad to hear that

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good info to have Stacy, I may need to use it soon. I'm not sure if her first bee experience really 'sunk in' as I have recently seen her nosing at bees! (lots of ground bees in my area this time of year) Thanks again for the support!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts