Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of Beasleys favorite things to do in our house is run up the stairs...The second we come in from our walks, she bolts right up to the top of the stairs. Problem is when she gets to the top, she turns around, looks down at us, then just starts whining. We offer her treats, we help by lifting her from step to step, but no matter what, she will not go down those stairs...My assumption is that she's uncomfortable doing it since she has such short legs...Anything we can do to help her along, or is it just something that will come with time?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I would put her on a leash, and with treats, happy voice calling her down and gently pulling her down, will show her that it's not so bad... that is what I did with Chloe when she was afraid to go down the stairs at the building and down the stairs to the subway, and it worked great.... took me 5 minutes to persuade her... she is pulling me down the stairs now /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hmmm...not a problem I've ever had. Jersey has been pulling us down the stairs since the first time we let her go on her own (we carried her when she was a puppy). Eleanor's idea sounds good and it's worked once! I wonder too if putting something special that she loves at the bottom of the stairs would be enough to get her to go on her own. That way she'll start to associate good things with going down the stairs and maybe she won't be so scared.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
When we first brought our two home (aged 5 years) Susi would niether go up nor down our stairs. She had never seen stairs. It took weeks before she could run up them and much longer to go down again. I would go down the stairs backwards lifting her a step at a time. Gradually it worked, she got the idea and now manages on her own, but even today we put the light on so she can see clearly. During the day we have a stair-gate at the bottom of the stairs to stop Susi and Snoopy running up and down, as this can damage their backs.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Oh Badger was exactly the same way when he was a puppy! No matter what I did I could not coax him down the stairs! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif (Kinda nice on occasion if I had to run downstairs for something, knowing he wouldn't move from the top of the stairs!) ALTHOUGH I got too use to that and he finally gained some confidence and all of a sudden whoops there he was on the bottom! Little bugger...Beasley is pretty young and it took Badger a few months I want to say to finally come down the stairs! :angel: Enjoy it now knowing you know right where she is if you need to go downstairs for a few minutes without her. hee hee

Badger now follows me EVERYWHERE!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Our Sam (now 11) was also wary of the stairs, especially going down. As has already been suggested, we used treats to encourage him to work his way down. Since he is a true beagle, he will do ANYTHING for food!!!

Now that he is older, he waits to see what's happening before he decides whether to follow us down the stairs, particularly the basement stairs. He has learned that often, the trips to the basement are usually short (picking up laundry, etc.), he will wait at the top of the stairs for our return.

If, however, we have gone to the basement to refill his food container or to bring up a new bag of treats (or even if he THINKS that's what's happening), he will follow us down the stairs and watch (supervise) every single movement and then run back up the stairs as we walk up. He always beats us back up the stairs.

I guess wisdom does come with age!!!

I am sure with some positive reinforcement, Beasley will soon have the confidence to 'do the stairs.'

1 - 7 of 7 Posts