Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading over the thread about the naughtiest thing your beagle has done, and I noticed people talking about Beagle-proofing the house. Can anyone give me suggestions or just tell me what you have had to do to Beagle proof your house?

Beau has gotten so destructive. He's always tried to chew things but it seems to be worse lately. We used to crate him during the day but he had terrible anxiety being in there, would pee in the crate (and sometimes sit in it), and would chew anything he could get to. He would actually scoot the crate around the room until he got close enough to something he could chew (rug, curtains, furniture). Obviously now that he is out of the crate he has access to most of the house with more things to chew, but he didn't destroy too much at first. He seemed to get worse when my in-laws came to visit. They brought their dog, which we thought would be nice since he would have a friend to play with. Except that their dog is smaller than our cats and she didn't want anything to do with Beau. My in-laws also helped set us back on the few gains we did make with training Beau. They didn't do anything when he jumped on people or the kitchen counters, even though we made it clear they had to nudge him down and tell him "no" or at least "down". I've just started taking him on two long walks a day, plus evening play time. But he still seems to have so much energy and wants to terrorize the cats and chew everything, even after a recent 12 hour day (without a nap) at day camp. He's even in a play yard with a few other beagles! We found a trainer to take him to, but he's on vacation for a couple weeks. I know Beau needs it, but I'm still a little reluctant because of the cost. This trainer is the cheapest we've found but it's still $280 for behavior modification sessions. We are just getting so frustrated because this week Beau seems to have been particularly bad. One day the house was destroyed! Most of it ended up being a box of tissues, and some random other cardboard boxes, but he's still gotten books, movies, a wedding scrapbook from my best friend, tv remotes... I've tried moving everything up where I thought he couldn't get it, but we still had access, and he still got a hold of some things. I need to find some way to keep our cats safe (and alive) and keep Beau from chewing everything until we get him trained and figure out exactly what we need to do to keep him from chewing our house. :frustrated:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I know what you mean about the in-laws we had a bunch of them staying with us for a week and they undid a lot of the training we had done.

As for our remotes and stuff we got a small stand with a door to put in the livingroom and I put a basket in there with all the remotes. That way when we are able to supervise her I can take the whole thing out. We keep all the doors in the house (to the bedrooms and my office etc) closed at all times.

for the rug and couches and stuff I got this stuff called fooey. My husbands nephew gave it to us as they had an extra bottle left over from their dog. It doesn't have any smell but it has a bitter taste and it has kept Lily from chewing on some of the bigger things (such as the edge of the carpet, the couch, my desk etc).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Our Marley goes through bouts of separation anxiety so we use a lot of baby locks for cupboards and gates to keep her in the kitchen. For the chewing we used a bitter citrus spray which had to be reapplied once a week until she got a little older (3 years). Now that the anxiety eased up and she's older we only lock the trash and tupperware cupboard. We keep her crate in the kitchen with her with the door open and a sheet over the crate for privacy. She really likes her little den and that has been the real key to keeping her calm. We NEVER let her wander the house unsupervised (just like a 2-year old human). That's just asking for trouble. In the past 3 months we've discovered she that when she escapes to another room she doesn't do anything naughty anymore. It took a lot of consistency and calm on everyone's part, but she's a great dog now and can travel anywhere.:dance:

·
Registered
959 Posts
We have made some gates for the doorways to some rooms that we need windows open for cross ventilation...they work well, even when I am fixing dinner, I can p ut them up and the boys can see me, but they don't have to be right there. The only time we willl crate them is when we are eating or there is a stranger in the house....If we have to leave, they are confined to one room with their beds and their water....and toys of course, but very little else. Saves a lot on the furniture. They rather seem, to enjoy the time out to plot and plan their next take over.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I beagle-proof the same way I would baby-proof for a hyperactive toddler. While you are not home, you may want to limit where Beau is allowed to be. Usually one room, with a radio on for company, works - and you will quickly learned what is chewable in that room! Sophie did pick on the cats, and at first they would tolerate being mugged or just run away, but as she has grown older, they have disciplined her more - and she is quite good with them now. They have never drawn blood, but they have made her cry a time or two.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Gates for certain areas, we keep the kictchen gate closed when we go out, the bedroom doors are closed when we are out, and the bathroom door is always closed.

Anything small or valuable up and out of reach or in a drawer. Some beags can open drawers so you have to be careful there. Wires are all neatly tied up and out of sight as best as possible (we have never had a problem with wires but you never know).

As far as chewing that took a lot of correction and patience. The bitter sprays didn't work for us as our guys actually LOVE the stuff! So basically we were just enticing them to chew on things. They did grow out of the chewing though and it didn't last long.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've recently returned back to working in the office and my little doggo is chewing his bed. He's just starred to chew through his second one and I'm reluctant to get him a new one really. I was hoping he would settle down after he got used to me being away again, so I'd stupidly bought another cheapo dog bed 😔

I was thinking of getting one that claims to be tougher than the average. What is the best material to look for? I've seen a few at Pets at home that look like thicker plastic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awww, I had a similar experience with mine. I got another dog but it didn't change his new chewing habit! My mum started taking him for more walks while I was at work, but as soon as he got left in the house on his own, he would chew his bed. We tried lots of dog beds that he managed to destroy, until we got this mattress style bed: https://www.petslovescruffs.com/products/armourdillo-robust-dog-bed-red It's made from polyester. My mum has a nylon mattress which works too. I don't know the brand, but she got it from Amazon. Hope that helps Zara Lou xx

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Welcome to the forum.. im laughing because my dog chewed up 5 dog beds before I got smart. For some reason they like chewing the furry bottom and then it goes. Ditch dog beds for now and get a hard plastic kiddie pool. ..toss in some old towels and toys and thats the bed for now. My dog finally grew out of that behavior and loves her beds. She also loves her crate and sleeps in it without even needing to close it. It takes time but it gets better.
Dog Comfort Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog
Dog Vertebrate Comfort Dog breed Dog supply

·
Registered
31 Posts
We Luke proof the house every time we leave. We limit his access to certain parts of the house by closing doors. We also remove all chewable items from his reach (this took some time to figure out because he reaches things we never thought possible). Most importantly, we always leave him with a bone to occupy his love of chewing. Bones with marrow inside take time for him to chew thru. We also stuff previously chewed thru bones with treats and peanut butter or cheese that have been frozen.

Luke is a little over one year old and we no longer have issues of him chewing stuff he isn’t supposed to when we are home. However, all bets are off when we leave the house and he knows there are no immediate consequences.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Haha chewing the bottom of it first, that's funny. I thought they just chewed the raised sides. Hopefully he's just getting used to me not being there as much. I'm hoping he snaps out of it and calms down soon, but I think that's wishful thinking with bonfire season coming up. I'm just grateful he isn't chewing my shoes or sofa at the moment. :LOL:
Do you know if those plug in anxiety reducing things are any good or are they just marketing nonsense? It's just that I used to be able to leave him on his own for a couple of hours before, so he should be able to get used to it again without getting anxious x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts