Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Its my first time on this board and I have to say I am THRILLED to find a place for beagles. Everyone and everywhere I go for advice tells me 'beagles are so hard to train!' 'beagles are so stubborn!' So I guess I just need some general advice.

We got Griffin a couple weeks ago when he was 11 weeks old. He seems really smart, he learned No Jumping, Sit and No pretty quick, but he is not picking up on the potty training so well. I am home all day so he isnt alone. I take him out whenever I see him sniffing around, I take him out about every hour. I have pee pads down...but sometimes he just gets up and pees. I know I shouldnt expect him to be 'cured' by now but damn, Im getting frustrated, and Im sure he picks up on it.

Any key tips for getting my Griffin to stop messing up my carpet?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi to you and Griffin. I too am a new member - it IS great to have other Beagle Friends !!! Persevere with the potty training - it will pay off. Penny took a while, but now she is 100 percent. I had many midnight walks outside with Penny in the freezing cold, I made a sound that I only associated with potty training (like trickling water) and then praised her when she went - It worked!! Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts

Be patient and consisent with the housebreaking. Our first beagle, Roscoe, learned VERY quickly, however, our second beagle, Cole who is now a year old, still has occassional accidents but he is learning! We didn't get it b/c we were spoiled with Roscoe and Cole is super smart with learning everything else, but this is taking a very long time. We are seeing results so hang in there!

·
Registered
12 Posts
keep the treats handy when she is successful, give her one. beagles like their food. don't get discouraged. it does take time.

I won't volunteer anyone else, but I will lend you a shoulder to cry on and an ear to talk to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
roxy still isnt perfect but wow she's come a long way in the last few months...i agree that it is very frustrating some days....we still have our days here when we go out a million times and might only have two to three successful trips...enzyme urine remover is a life saver for the carpet and it seemed to keep her from going in one spot repeatedly and treat bribery works too. our big issue was the fact that if she had an accident i snatched her up and outside we went so she thought the ticket to get to go out was to pee in the floor but some stern talking to and quite a few yellings later she's pretty much got it down unless i take too long to get my shoes on or if we leave her alone where she cant get to us (take a shower or run out to the car etc...) you can count on accidents

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all
So far Griff is getting 'better'. He has his good days then he has his days when he just squats down and pees right in front of us! Im confused because I dont know if I am teaching him to sit by the door to go pee or to sit by the door and go play with leaves! I make sure that I take him straight to the lawn, then as soon as he pees I take him straight back inside. I heard about bell trainging him. When we ring a bell everytime we go outside to pee and then someday he learns to ring the bell himself when he needs to go outside...anyone ever do this kind of trainging?

·
Registered
847 Posts
You really should be utilizing crate training. Just because your home all day and can take him out when needed doesn't teach him to hold it. A pup his age should be crated most of the day and taken out every 4-5 hours at first. Also, create a feeding, exercise and potty schedule. This will help the whole family stay in synch with his schedule.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh we do crate train. But not when we are home, that just doesnt make any sense to me. He is in his crate all night and whenever we leave the house. He knows how to hold it. My issue was training him to TELL us that he needs to pee, but I got a bell for the door and it took him less than 2 days to learn to ring the bell to be let out to go potty. I know it will take a while longer before we can leave him in the house without supervision but for now he is doing great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts