Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My name is Mark and I live in mass. I am 24 years old. At this moment I don't own a beagle but I am looking into the breed. I joined this site to maybe pick up on some information about the breed and hear, or read in this case, about others and their lives with this breed of dogs before making a decision.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Welcome! I hope you find this site as informative as I do. Beagles are a unique breed, very smart, entertaining and loving! You will need patience but they are definately worth the effort. We started out with one beagle, not knowing too much about the breed, and a year later got another beagle! Best of luck with your decision!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I commend you for getting educated about a breed before purchasing one. Thank you.

I am up to 3 purebreds and 1 beagle mix in my home. I fell in love with them and they can be a bit of an addiction I think. lol

Things to remember: *They can be hard to train because they are smart and stubborn. *They pull on the leash when you walk them so harnesses are better than collars. (you can train them to not pull, but it is tough) *They are ruled by their noses and when they have a scent that they are on, you will not get them to obey you. *If left outside all the time or if they get real bored, they tend to howl which is undesirable for non-beagle lovers. *They usually love other animals and children of all sizes. *They are compact and sturdy. *They require very little grooming and the shedding is minimal. *They adapt well to any environment (house/apt) as long as they get adequate exercise. *They use their energy in spurts. They can run and play like crazy for short periods of time (zoomies), but then they zonk out and you wonder if all they do is sleep. *They do not have too many common health issues. *They are very loving and loyal. *They are great watch dogs, but lousy guard dogs.

I think I have more pros than cons, but maybe that's because I love my little Beagles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the information. Sounds like a great breed.
I'm looking forward to finding out more about them. ^.^

·
Registered
847 Posts
Like Donna, I too commend you for having the foresight to research the breed first. We did the same thing too. From our experience with Bodie I'll give you our Pros and Cons.

Pros, very lovable, affectionate and cute. He gets along with everyone including other dogs, so a great temperament. Very smart and easy to train. Nice size, very durable and healthy. Nice short hair coat makes bath time a lot easier.

Cons, have you ever heard of the term baying or beagling? If not, look it up and become familiar with it. This will probably be your biggest headache if you don't care for that type of behavior. Beagles are high energy which can be a Pro or Con depending how you look at it. If you have a cat or other small critters your beagle will most likely want to chase it. They are a hound dog and often used for tracking and hunting.

If we would have known more about the beagling we might not of got a beagle. But since we did we'll adjust and make the best of it. For us, the Pros out weight the Cons and we couldn't image life around here without Bodie.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Gotta agree with Brien on the beagling...aka sweet music to your ears. You have to research and check out the sound on it and hopefully its sound you can live with

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
yeah i agree with everyone else that the beagling can be annoying to some (personally i dont mind the occasional howl) they are also diggers so watch out! On the flip side my beagle isn't a loud one. So it all depends.

Another thing to keep in mind the most common health issue is anal gland problem so you might have to deal with having them expressed or doing it yourself. Luckily i also dont have this issue but it happens to alot of beagle owners so keep that in mind.

The leash pulling is very real you can try to train them not to pull but its going to be constant training you have to always be on it, they like getting their way.

Once you go beagle tho...you probably wont go to another breed. their great little dogs if you can deal with the harsh realities of owning a hound dog.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Welcome! You will find lot of good information here and plenty of people who can answer your questions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here's a few really good web sites I've found on Beagles.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/beagle.htm
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/beagle.html
http://www.mybeagledog.com/article6.html

They all somewhat address the issue of should I get a beagle.

I've always loved beagles, as a breed, and really wanted one. I've had lots of other dogs in my life, but never a beagle. So we got Scout over a year ago. I thought I had done the research and maybe my want to have a beagle overshadowed my reason. Anyway, to be painfully honest, if I had it to do it again I wouldn't get a beagle, at least not a puppy.

I love Scout (our beagle) but I have to tell you that she is the hardest dog to train I've ever had. And Beagles can be destructive. They love to chew things, EVERYTHING!!!!!, so it's important to make sure things are out of reach or put away. Also you can never let them off the leash or they always have to be in some sort of enclosure (eg fenced yard). Beagles are scent dogs and are driven by their noses. They won't care that you yell stop or come here, if they catch a scent they will be gone.

I dont' want it to sound like they're uncontrollable, that's not true either and once you get one and spend some time with them the challenges end up being funny or great memories. Beagles are the most loving dogs you'll find and they give that love unconditionally and make great companions. And they're real characters, and will make you laugh.

The other folks have put it very well as to the pros and cons. The most important thing when you have a beagle is <span style="color: #FF0000">PATIENCE</span>. That is the magic word.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy Welcome I have a fully different opinion than most on beagles. Beagles are not, IMHO, hard to train, they are a delight! The point is they are beagles, not mindless herd dogs bred to follow a masters command. They were bred to be independent thinkers so they don't take commands, the evaluate them. You have understand how a beagle thinks in order to train them, they think with their noses BUT they were also bred to be social animals and you become their pack so they want to please their pack so you can use that to train them easily. Since they evaluate each situation, they can never be completely trusted off lead, a good smell sometimes trumps the best treat so there is hno such thing as 100% recall. They are not going to spend hours learning tricks like roll over just to please you when there much more interesting things to do but it is not because there not as clever as say a border collie, there just a heck of a lot more independent! Beagels are not for everyone but if you want a compact, easy to care for companion who can be both a macho hunter and a loving sweet friend, they are the perfect breed. My Bagel spends 99 percent of his time at or near the end of a 35 foot lead, nose to the ground wishing his anchor (me) would move quicker but will heal on my left leg when I require him to polite walk, sit when I stop walking, stay if I say stay, sit if I say sit, and leave it if I say leave it! He was between 3 and 5 years old when I rescued him from the pound, took him to obedience class which he passed easily, and 11 years later he is still well trained and my best buddy. Consider the breed but remember, when they are not being beagles, they will expect to be with you!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome to the board. I to have a beagle and she is my first. Beagles train easy once you figure them out. I have trained several dogs just not a beagle. It was frustrating why this dog was not training like my 2 German Shepards, poodle or even my Basset hound. I called our local humane society that has this program called Petpeeves. They told me to treat the dog like a child that has ADD. Train in short frequant sessions. And wholy cow it worked!! She knows all sorts of things tricks, commands ect. She picks things up quickly now we know how she works.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Bob, is dead-on about keeping them on a lead at all times. The only time Bodie goes off lead is at the dog park or at Patches' (his beagle GF) house.

However, last night Patches' parents brought her over to play with Bodie. Because Patches has a history of bolting when at our house we were very reluctant to take Bodie off lead. But we did otherwise they would of been all tangled up. After about 20 minutes of playing Patches just took off and of course Bodie followed. They're so fricken fast too! By the time we made it to the street after them they were already heading back to Patches' house. So we knew we'd be able to catch him. But my wife and I were not too pleased with this stunt. We don't blame Bodie, he was just following her. But Patches on the other hand... let's just say she's a bad influence on him. LOL!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
A big welcome to beagle world.
The above are correct, never let your beagle (once you have one) off leash unless in a secure area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts