Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm new to the Forum. I got a handsome beagle pup in August, I'm new to the breed. I've had Dobermans/Rotty's/German Shephards, and my last dog was a Golden Retriever, so its both a new breed a new size for us! We're very excited though. Also i heard their really hard to house break and we are having some difficulty does anyone have any tips? I was told by a fellow beagle owner it took her nearly a year because their so stubborn.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to BW! My beagle, Maggie, was my first small dog but it was easy to adapt -- she was already house-trained when I adopted her 12 years ago so I won't be much help with the potty training. However, we have lots and lots of members who are going through this phase -- if you have some time, do a search in the discussion forum and you will find tons of suggestions. Please share your pup's name and we love pictures (there are posting instructions in the how to forum)!
P.S. Just saw Teddy's photo in the gallery -- he is so handsome!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Welcome and yes Beagles are quite different than most dogs.

As far as the potty training have a plan of attack from day one with goals. Bodie is 16 weeks now and hasn't had an accident in weeks. Last night was the first night he slept in our bedroom on his dog bed. Up until now he was in his crate overnight. It took us 3 nights to do it, but once he got comfortable he didn't make a peep all night.

My first advice to potty training is to cut off all food and water after dinner time. Followed by a few potty breaks before YOU go to bed. Put him in the crate. And within a short period of time he'll hold it all night.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Welcome!! We adopted our two at 2yrs old and we worked on crate training at first. We rarely had a problem with them having any accidents in their crates. Granted they were older and probably had better control in general, but we still had to work on potty training in the house. I will say though, it didn't take them very long at all. It helped that there was pretty much always someone home so they got to go out pretty often. But I'm sure if you post in the discussion area you'll get lots of advice from those dealing with that right now.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. You will find lots of ideas and support here.
I got Maggie at 8 weeks and she was potty trained at 5 months. I thought she would never get the idea but when she did it was almost overnight. After that I think she had only a few accidents in the house. I considered those my fault because I got busy and didn't see her at the door.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I must be unique (or my dogs at least) because I did not have any more trouble potty training my Beagles than any other dog I have ever had. Crate training is a HUGE factor though for us. We have also used the bell hanging from the door and a pocket tether. All the methods have proved successful for at least one or another of the dogs.

Welcome to BW. We all look forward to getting to know you and your pup.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I had no problem at all house training my first beagle Molly. HOWEVER, my 10 month old Maggie is a different story. She's still not trained, and continues to go in the house an average of 2-3 times a day, even though she is taken outside every 1-2 hours. Beagles are extremely smart, but boy can they be stubborn! My only advice to you is consistancy and patience. And good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, everyone! thanks for all your responses. I forgot to mention his name, we named him Teddy. Funny story we almost went with Pi, the mathmatical symbol. (no i'm not kidding) and he has a perfectly shaped heart spot on his leg which is his only spot and we almost called him Mclovin but he looks like a Teddy, so we stuck to that.
Also we are working on the crate training, my problem is guilt! I have a friend who tells me i HAVE to crate him for three or four hours so that he learns to hold it during the day but i feel so bad sticking him in the crate, he hates it! Another thing this might sound weird but when he has accidents in his crate their usually over night and its usually poop her hardly ever pees in there. Last week he went number 2 over night three nights in a row! i was pretty upset, because i dont want him to think its ok to do that, and i dont really see the point in reprimanding him after the fact, i doubt he'd made the association that DOING poop inside is bad , not simply that the poop itself is bad. He hardley pees inside, mainly because i watch him, and take him our every few hours, when we wakes up from a nap etc.etc. BUT if i leave him alone...in a room, he'll just do it.
I'm getting alittle frustrated, i hate to make comparisons but mainly because my golden was easy to train and so i'm usually like why hasn't he gotten it yet! but I'm trying to stay positive. Also he's Four months old and we got him a bit young (at six weeks) so he knips like crazy which i assume is because he didn't go thru the nipping stage with his siblings and so they didn't tell him its not ok to do it. He's getting a bit better with it though. He goes for clothes now not feet or ankles.(i swear he wants to herd everyone)
On a positive note he's SOOOOO friendly. Moreso then my golden was. I literally went outside the otherday to find our mailwoman MASSAGING him. it was the funniest thing. He thinks everyone is his best friend and needs to pet him. He's also bird friendly oddly enough! whenever we encounter geese or ducks or my parrots he will just point (like a GSP) and look quietly intrested. its adorable. He rarely goes nuts (pretty much only when i come home or there is food involved). Oh and at 7 weeks we went on a camping trip and took him along and HE WAS SOO GOOD! we took him on a day long canoe trip and he was wonderful! wasn't scared or nervous, or overly excited, he played with the fish in the creek it was great! and he definatly enjoyed meeting the hunting beagles we met up there. Anyway thanks for all the information and so nice to meet you all!
-Seph

1 - 16 of 16 Posts