Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, My name is Greg and recently I purchased a dogs from a guy that sells puppies on a corner close to where we live, that people either mistreated or have abandoned. He told me it is a 5 month old pure bred beagle and that he has seen her parents. Beings that he rescued the dog, there was no papers for her, but we brought her home and are planning on giving her a full and happy life. We haven't really owned puppies before , hence the reason I decided to join this site , to help me along with the raising. I'm really excited on learning techniques and methods to help with her health and happiness.

I 've looked through your picture section of this forum and I haven't really noticed anyone the has a beagle with 'raccoon eyes' like mine.
does this mean the she is not actually a pure bred? I know that a pic would be a major help in this, but our loving daughter dropped our camara in the river, so this is not possible at this time. Any thoughts would surely be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack! And congrats on your new adoption.

First, with your pup being a rescue, you may never truly know if she is a pure beagle, regardless of what the man said. To me, it makes no difference. I assume that since you rescued her, she is not going to be used for breeding. So getting her spayed should be done as soon as your vet feels its time. Believe me, its best for you and her and will make both your lives easier in the future.

As to the racoon eyes, not all beagles have the same markings.If she looks different, all the better. She is unique. So give it no further concern.

Do take the time to put her through obedience training. Beagles need some training to help them get along with us. Sit, stay, down, drop, and come (recall) are all very important. Again, training will make both your lives easier.

Also, I hope you have a fenced in yard for her. Otherwise keep her on a lead until you do. Beagles have a knack for following their noses for miles when off lead. They also "go deaf", meaning that its hard to recall them.

Again welcome.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy :wave: Welcome to Beagle World. Look forward to echanging stories. Can't be much help on the puppy thing but Beagles are a loving breed that make good family pets.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Welcome!

Do you mean teary eyes? Where they appear to be crying? Many "beetles", including my Henry have that. Those constant tear-streaked eyes.

Some beagles have that look of heavy eyeliner. Again, some have it and some do not.

Anyway...your little baby will just keep you surprised and happy all along the way. Beetles are extra special that way.

Like Joe mentioned, beags are really not the kind of dogs that can go unleashed and be depended up to stick close to home. Be careful about that. And spueter him/her asap so no little accidents happen.

What is yours called? On behalf of him, thanks for adopting him from the man on the corner.

~Denise

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World!

You're in the right place. There are many knowledgable beagle people here that can help with all of those little problems. As Joe said, obedience school is a must and keep her on a leash. It doesn't matter if she's a full beagle or not, she's more than welcome here.

You may have noticed already that any food within her reach is automatically hers. Beware - the beagle nose is a wonderful thing but can get our pups into a lot of trouble.

Good luck, and we look forward to hearing all about her (what did you name her?) and hopefully you'll be able to post pictures soon /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry, her name is Sadie,( my son named her after the car, mercedes). Unfortunatly, we live on a golf course, so we are unable to put up a fence, due to restrictions, but we do have a 50' lead for her to be on when she goes outside. We already found out what happens when she is not on it, what a joy that was, lol. The 'raccoon eyes' look like a mask sorta like the lone ranger. For the obedience school, we dont really have the money for it, but we have been doing pretty well in our home training. I've done some research through various sites and am giving her a home course. Within a week, we've taught her to sit, stay(somewhat), and to not beg for food. She also is not allowed in the kitchen when we are cooking meals, so far she is abiding. She is a really smart dog, but as all animals, has her moments. The 'potty training', is still in process, but who knows what her life was before us.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Welcome, lereg and Sadie :biglaugh:

Looking forward to pictures. :thumbup:

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to BW. Thank you for rescuing a beagle. You will have years of love and fun from Sadie. Yes, it is important to keep her on leash. If you have any special questions then fire ahead. plenty of experts on here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome and congrats! I too am a new member, but trust me this place is awesome!

As far as the tie-out goes, be careful! As I have recently discovered that it is not only my beagle that is a great escape artist from her collar and harnesses, etc. Just keep your eye out, and let me know if you can find something that will hold a houdini-like beagle in!

Love that little dog and she will always love you back! Like I have said before, we rescued our beagle too, but in all reality she was the one who resuced us.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I take her out, I always stay out with her just in case she tries to escape. So far that has not happened, yet. She doesn't seem to want to run away, but she does like to follow the scent trials.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. :wave: You probably will never know if Sadie's purebred, but it doesn't matter. A beagle comes in many forms. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts