Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wife and I are brand new to the Beagle world. We just put our deposit down for the most adorable little beagle boy. His name will be Leonidas of Sparta, we'll call him Leo for short. If anyone has some tips for us about the beagles, please let us know! My wife and I do a lot of camping and hiking and we want to bring Leo with us, any tips for that? I am going to do some reading on through the forums and see what else I can learn. I can't wait to start posting photos and videos! We are so happy to be apart of the community!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I haven't had a tiny puppy for many years, but several folks here will be able to give good advice about that. Bob should be able to give you some tips about hiking and camping since he takes Bagel on neat trips.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Gee, for some reason that name seems so familiar to me. lol Welcome to Beagle World. You've already gotten my advice so I will let the others chime in now.

Leo is going to get his first bath today or tomorrow because they are all really getting in to eating the formula off the plate, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Welcome and congratulations! It sounds like you're getting your Beagle from Donna. She's a valued member of the forums and should be an excellent resource for you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going crazy thinking about all the things I want to do with Leo when he comes home. I can't believe its going to be a month before he comes home! ahhhh! That's ok though, it gives us time to read up on beagles and get all the puppy necessities.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Welcome! I am also a first time Beagle owner-Murphy is now almost 7 months old. They're great dogs and you're in for quite a ride!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I, too, am a first time beagle owner. Totti is turning 16 months next week! You are going to have so much fun raising a beagle!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy, welcome to Beagle World. I know nothing about puppies, never had one, only adult rescues, but my beagle, the Bagel and I, camp and hike, and adventure all over the place. If ya hike trails like the Grand Canyon, Zion or other established (used by others) you'll want to carry a couple some small sandwich bag ziplocks and keep Leo's food quality dry kibble. Beagle's live by their noses and there are critters out in the wild (Coyotes, cougars, skunk bear) that would consider Leo lunch so keep him on a lead! Snake avoidance class is a must if you blaze trails as that nose can get Leo into trouble! See your in Utah, if hike camp along the I-15 cooridor you might consider Lyme disease otherwise if your more into the outback, the west is pretty safe. Bagel and I explore Ghosttowns so Hantavirus is a concern, I just discourage him from sniffing deermouse infested human clutter. Giardia may be a problem if you drink downstream from cattle but after a couple bouts you develop an immunity and the places your gonna get it you won't need the sandwich bags for pooch clean-up, besides you'll be more worried about Ian and Kayla Concerns than Leo. But here I'm rambling and I don't know what you mean by hiking and camping. The Bagel and I have probably 100,000 miles of off-roading, hiked and camped all over Uath, Colorado, Arizona, parts of Wyoming, New Mexico, Oregon, and California and we've bagged maybe 500 ghosttowns in Nevada. Course, he has been adventuring with me for 11 and half years!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Bob! Wow! Thank you so much! Kayla and I do a lot of short day trips as far as hiking. We have hiked Mt. Timpanogas, and plan to do it again when Leo is strong enough to make it the whole way up. We do a lot of hiking through Canyons. There is a hot spring we go to every now and again in North Utah, but I visit my Brother down in the St. George area a lot. Leo would definitely come along for those trips. As far as camping out; Kayla and I just got married in October 2008, so we haven't really done a whole lot of camping together, but we both like it. What would you recommend for when we settle down for the day? Should I get one of those stakes to put in the ground with a long lead? I don't want to have him follow his nose into danger. I know you haven't had a puppy, but what age would you recommend that we could take him on overnight or more difficult hikes? Ahhhh! We can't wait to do all of these things!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Ian, I will send you home with one of those stakes you are referring too. I have some brand new ones and we don't use them.

What hot spring do you go to, if you don't mind me asking? Is it in Honeyville Utah? Just curious. There is one down south that I should suggest. Look up Mystic Hot Springs on the internet. Hubby and I love that place.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow! Thanks Donna! That is so cool of you! The hot spring we have been to is a couple miles of a hike in. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. You get to it through Springville. It's a short drive through a canyon, and there is also a lot of camping around there. I just looked up Mystic Hot Springs, that looks really nice! Kayla and I love hot springs!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Ian, There is just the Bagel and I so he kind goes where I go - don't use a stake - have tied his lead to a tree, bumper, fence post when I've been busy but that usually results in him wrapping his lead around a bush or other obstruction and baying for relief (kind of defeats the purpose). Now, I use a 35 foot lead and tracking harness, so I can pull him back from danger (Gila Monster, Mine shafts, the silly badger he thought wanted to play) but a beagle with 35 foot of lead can get tangled easily when left to his own devices. You’ll find that beagles are great companion in that they are little macho hunters in the outdoors and when you settle into camp, they turn into sweet little cuddle critters. Bagel shares my sleeping bag and around camp is calm and contented but can hike and dig and adventure all day! Again, I would not want to tire out a puppy, I’m not an expert but other than overdoing the exercise, I can see nothing that would preclude involving Leo completely in all your adventures. Beware, they are independent thinkers and they just know that masking their scent is the proper thing to do so they will roll in fox poop, goose poop, and Bagel’s favorite: Fresh cow patties. Nothing like having a stinky beagle and being 30 miles from a garden hose. Beagles are a hoot, once you get them accustomed to riding they a great travel companions. Again, the one thing I know about puppies is their bladder isn’t as strong as my 15/16 year (Bagel was 3/5 when I rescued him 11.5 years ago). And they can only hold, once they learn they need to not just go, a few hours, (Figure a hour or two per month they are old) so consider this when determining sleeping accommodations. The other thing is once Leo discovers the power of P-mail (marking of bushes, etc) he will need to establish the packs ownership of your camp by marking the perimeter and he will drain his body of Beagle-magic-marking-fluid so always having a doggie water bowl in camp and water for Leo when hiking is a top priority.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Originally Posted By: bob Beagle-magic-marking-fluid
I Love It.

Never heard that one before.

Leonidas,
I just moved to Riverton/Herriman last week. I am hoping to set up a Meet-Up group for the area. I will be sure to post it on Beagle World so you and Donna will know about it. My parents live in Springville at the mouth of Hobble Creek Canyon. I will need to find that Hot Spring you are talking about.

Go Cougars B.A. 1989

1 - 20 of 27 Posts