Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I am new to Beagle World and new to Beagles, in fact!
We are due to pick our Beagle pup up on the 28th May and are really looking forward to it. I have had dogs before but never a beagle, so if anyone can give me any tips on care and training, etc, then I'd be really grateful.
We are thinking of getting the pup a crate to live in, mainly because of my 2 year old daughter, who'll like poking a sleeping puppy. We thought the crate would be a nice secure cosy den that puppy can escape into and we can tell our little girl not to touch the pup when it's in it's crate.
Any help, ideas and info welcomed!
Cheers

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

Another new puppy joins the ranks...and more stories to follow, I'm sure.

I'm not a puppy expert, but those that know puppies will post soon.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW! You will be able to garner lots of info on this wonderful forum. If you get a chance, scroll down the "Introduction" section and click on "Trying to Build My Supplies Early" by Chris. You'll find lots of good suggestions for getting ready for your pup. I have a senior (almost 12) rescue, Maggie, so not up to date on puppy suggestions myself but am looking forward to hearing all about your new puppy. Be sure to learn how to post pictures as those of us who are puppy-less thrive on everyone else's pictures. There are good "posting picture" directions in the "Photo Posting Help" section.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World, and the world of beagles. :wave: We'll be looking forward to pictures and progress reports. My Li'l Girl was an adult rescue, and I haven't had a tiny puppy for many years. However, we did crate our senior, Misty, when she was a puppy and used a crate for the others when we adopted them. They all did well in the crate, and our youngest who is about 3 years old, still sleeps in his.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World :biglaugh:

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Hi and Welcome

I see you are in Uk, me too (worcester). I have three dogs, caleb 3 and a half, Foxy-Roo, two and a half and Gwenni who is 18 weeks.

I dont know if you have had a baby beagle puppy before but they are so lively and before they learn to have bite inhibition (biting without hurting) those puppy teeth are incredibly sharp and hurt like hell. They also jump up and run all over the place. Pups can be very overwelming!!

I would seriously get a crate for putting the pup in when you are out for it to sleep in and for the day I would have a puppy pen. a overtired pup is fractious and over excitable.

You will have to keep your two year old and the pup apart for long periods. Tiny beagle pups are very fragile and you dont want the dog being picked up. Your pup may well be too much for your child at first. We had our first pup when my daughter was nine and the pup was too much sometimes and I had to seperate them.

Please dont let you pup have too much exercise as they have soft growth plates and can end up being too muscely through over exercise or with bad shoulders and joints.

I feed my dogs calcium or bonemeal (can be brought at Pets at home) and it keeps the bone mass on the pup.

I also feed a supplement called SA37 (can get it off ebay or from independant pet shops) and it has essential vits and minerales.

I also give the dogs seaweed kelp (it helps bring the black around the eyes and the nose through (the pigment) However you cant give kelp in the summer as it can cause overheating! There is a product called elderberry and nettle extract which does the same thing and can be given in summer.

Available from Link to dorwest herbs

Good luck with your pup. Make sure your breeder gives you a decent diet sheet and advice. And if it is a Kennel Club pup make sure you get the paperwork given to you when you collect the pup and make sure the breeder has signed the back of the form so you will be able to transfer the pup into your name.

Where are you getting pup from?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone! It's so nice to hear from lots of Beagle-Lovers.

Hellen, my pup is coming from a lady called Jean Peak (I think that's her name) from Bayard Beagles near Preston in Lancashire. Have you heard of them?

I have heard about not over exercising them whilst young, although am not a little worried about my daughter being too rough with the puppy, but I'm sure pup will give as good as it's gets and my little girl will soon learn when to leave the puppy alone.

Will definately keep you updated with piccies when pup finally arrives.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Beagles are excellent dogs with small children, but straining on both parts is still essential. I hope you are stubborn and hardheaded, because that is what it takes to train a stubborn hardheaded beag! Don't let the sad eyes take you in, in a beags case tough love is the answer!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy :wave: Welcome to Beagle World. Happy tou goot some good advice on puppies, I know nothing of puppies but training an adult rescue is really not any harder than training most other dogs. Look forward to hearing stories of your new pup!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I lived through the joys of having a beagle puppy...barely. I can give a little advice, but my baby is almost 2 so I am still learning.

*Make sure to keep everything out of reach since they love to chew on things (I have lost many a things to Lucky)

*Make sure to get your puppy on a schedule so potty training will be easier (feed at the same time every day and other activities every day)

*Crate training is the way to go. Make the crate their home with blankets and toys. Use that crate as part of your training (puppy stays in there to sleep and when you leave the house).

I cannot think of anything else that wasn't already said, but as you will read on this forum, beagles are loads of fun & frustration at times. They are very stubborn. Can't wait to see pictures and hear stories! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome Chickeninabun :hi:
We are in the uk too!! Hampshire. I know Jill Peak (Bayard beagles)too.

Anyway, if you ever want to chat, Tim and I are Area Officers for Beagle Welfare so if you have any problems send me a pm and we can swap phone numbers or something...you might find with a lively beagle puppy (and when it grows!!) you may need some support and advice! :thumbup:

Wise words from Hellen & other BW members - everyone speaking from experience /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Take care

Angela
Chesborough Beagles
www.chesborough-beagles.co.uk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi and welcome
I also live in the UK.I have one Beagle who is 11 years old and two Basset hounds,They certainly keep me busy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
I think that you are very brave getting a puppy with a two year old :evilgrin: and agree that you should crate train the pup for your own sanity. Yvonne

·
Registered
448 Posts
Welcome !!!! :wave:
We will all be loooking forward to your tales of your new pup and pictures too! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif So much fun...

Hugs!

Judi and the gang-Harley, Maggie, and Chopper! :animal18:

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack! A crate is a very good idea! I have a 7 month old beagle puppy( and two adult dogs). The crate can be a lifesaver. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
794 Posts
welcome to Beagle World!! :wave:
Having a puppy, learn from mistakes, and make sure it knows you're the boss... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
I had to buy new bed sheets today, because Polly is eating them!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts