Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone.

I'm so happy I found this Place.

I lost My chow due to ole age at the tender age of 15years old in Sept. Our hearts and lives was very lonely and empty with plenty of love still to give. We decided with all the love a Beagle has this was the next dog to get.Sooooooo

1 week ago, We adopted a 14 Month old Male : unneutered Beagel.

Led under the umpression he loved cats :)Well it seems all he wanted to do was Mount My cat of 14years and use it as a rag doll, yeh maybe a toy? I don't know My cat is docile so won't play with him and DOES not want be used for mounting purposes, So We thought how do we solve this problem?

Get the little tyke fixed, in the meantime I sepertaed the two allowing Our new member to meet our cat slowly a little at a time with the bathroom door open (ohh our cat loves dogs just so you know), still continues the a.d.d behavoure of our new beagle, so I had him fixed yesturday, he will be wearing his cone till the 20th of this month, this has not stopped him from still wanting the cat.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me, as I'm new at raising any type a dog that is not more on the docile side.

He is a very loveing boy, but ohh so stuborn.
I have no clue how the other family raised him, from what I was all told about him, it's turning out the only True thing they said about him is that is is loveing.

He needs constant learning and correction in all aspects, it's like starting off from a new pup a few months old.

Help please cause I realy want this to work out.
I look at that helpless little face and know that I have to stick with it not giving up, but in order for this to happen I need Guidencess, cause I'm kinda stressed out *tear*

THANK YOU

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to the BW pack. You have definitely found the right place.... We love beagles (obviously) and love to share stories and pictures....
Speaking of which: a week you have him you said? That's plenty of time for picture taking.... did I mention we love pictures?

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hello from me (Denise) and Henry B.! :wave:

Many of us here at BW have adopted "beetles" at all different ages. Alot of them were rescues with sad histories and alot of baggage to work through.

My Henry was a hurricane dog from Louisiana and came here on a transport truck scared and very sick. He is well now and still learning to trust us but he has come such a long way we can't believe that it hasn't even been two years yet.

If you want love, you adopted the right little guy. And you're right, begles are very stubborn. It's been said over and over on BW and I find it to be true...beagles do not respond well to negative feedback (harsh words, yelling, hitting...things like that). They respond best to praise and positive reinforcement. I have found this to be very true with Henry...if I yelled at him or worse, it would break his fragile spirit and his heart.

I'm not a expert on humping but he's still fresh post-op and there are still hormones still surging. It should level out in a bit. My suggestion would be when he humps the cat, gently remove him with a stern "no" and just keep doing it. When he finally sits and looks at you while it sinks in and stops humping the cat, praise him lavishly and tell him what a good boy he is. Maybe even a little treat might be in order. This same thing can be used for housebreaking if he isn't already.

It's still early yet, don't feel discouraged. He sounds like he has alot of love to give...even though it may be misdirected at the moment.

Hang in there through these hard times and it will be worth it.

BTW...where is Lowermainland?

~Denise

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Beegie Weegie,"You have chosen wisely", since beags typically learn to accept nearly any creature you have as a pet before them! "They know who has seniour status" & will respect their status as the elder pet! Homer-the-Huge is about 4 times larger than Goober, but Homer knows that Goober is "the boss" when I'm gone! As Homer was raised by Goober when he was merely 10 & Homer was a puppy in 2002! :thumbup:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW! Having had a previous dog neutered late in life (at 9 years of age) due to onset of extremely destructive behavior, I remember the vet telling me that it would take a while until I saw a change. I don't remember how long it actually took but the change did come. Expect time frame would be even shorter for a younger dog. Hang in there -- it will be worth it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the response.

Ha he does not just mount My cat he goes nuts, here are some pictures of one of his behavours from ground up, including in this type of behavour was barking and growling. this was before the room sepration and yeh, he is needing potty train which I bring him for long walks, he does his 1 and 2 then in the middle of the night he does number 2 in the house, can't correct him till morning, cuz were sleeping and he does not let us know.

He knew he did wrong becuase he runs towards the door.
I've not hit him nor will nor do I yell, stern voice, and I'm trying to teach him Stay command, everywhere I go he's at my heals, I was cleaning the enteryway and wanted him to stay at the top of the stairs, I did STAY, at the beginning he sits. then soon as I move down a stair, he starts to come, I re-enforce it by turning around each step and say STAY, get up there which he did, then my back is turned he's comming down again, he sees me turn for correction, he runs back up the stairs, then runs down half way then starts barking and growling at me.
I say that's enough get Up there STAY. then he was running all around the top of the stairs soooo angery bumpin into things cause of his cone.
Finally he stayed, and when I WAS READY I told him to come down.

Which now he's confused and did not want too, however after a few secs he did, this was last night, when we had company over.

One of our friends who was over, his grandparents had beagles back in the day, and He said the Lucky must of had the Run of his past house, I tend to think this is true, I want him to atleast tolerate My cat, not try and attach him like a nut on crackerjacks.

We live in Vancouver that is the lowermainland.

P.S I'm not fond of the name lucky, however he listens to it well, so maybe we'll keep it.

he has play date walks in the morning normaly, but since he got fixed he is not allowed to play with them till he's better, don't want stitches comming undone, cause he's so HYPER.

(alrighty I wish to post pictures My HTML is not working), is there another way of doing it on here? thank you

P.S pay no attention to the many typos. I tend to ramble when I have so much to say.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

**I fixed that first pic for ya. Just FYI we ask that pictures on main boards be less than 650 pixels. Bigger pictures can be put in the "Large Photos" are or converted to links. If you need help or have questions feel free to PM me ~BeagleBabe**

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World! :wave: Thank you for adopting. My Li'l Girl is a rescue adopted at approximately 1 year of age. Happily, for me, she hasn't had any behavior problems other than being nervous.

I've had a couple of males that were neutered later in life. One was so laid back that it made no difference, but the other one took quite some time for the "fix" to kick in. Hang in there, he's a handsome fellow. :heart:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Welcome to BW :wave: . Great pics of a great beagle :thumbup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for comments of Picts.

However the jumping picts were not even suppose to be good pictures of him it was a bahavoure I'm trying to ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so break, regarding My cat /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif *it was to show something he does, read first posting* /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Yeh I like him sleeping too, best one outa the lot *lol*

You all have been so great for support thank you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts