Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just joined Our Beagle World Forum. I am a past owner of a beagle, who passed in 2019 and have started my search for my next beagle.

My first beagle, Ally McBeagle (rescued at 11 weeks) was named after Ally in the TV show Ally McBeal, popular at the time (year 2001). If you watched the show, Ally McBeal (played by Calista Flockhart) had a quirky personality and not being too familiar with beagles, some of the beagle quirks fit the TV character. As time passed, I learned the quirks were really beagle personality.

You can probably imagine how devastated I was when we (husband and son) lost our Ally at age 17. Healing has taken a while, but I'm soon to retire and we will be ready (e.g., time and patience for a pup) for our next beagle puppy. I've been researching other breeds to make sure I wanted a beagle and was not just rebounding from my loss and researching breeders for a year but I haven't interviewed them yet because I first wanted to have a better idea of my retirement plans.

I also thought participating in a forum would be good as well. So hear I am.

I am looking forward to reading forum posts and hearing more about your beagles as I prepare for my new journey. I tend to be "wordy" but I will focus future posts on being more concise.

Thank you!
AB

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Welcome! I am so sorry for your loss of Ally. She was lucky to have you for 17 years. As you were lucky to have her.

We'd love to hear all about your search for your next beagle, and of course raising her.

To introduce my crew - me, my husband, Neb (beagle mix, just shy of 13 years old), Xerxes (beagle, ~5 years), Agis (Rottie mix, 18 months) and our two cats, Timothy and Cordelia.

(If you can't tell, we named the boys after kings of antiquity - Nebuchadnezzar (Babylonian), Xerxes (Persian), and Agis (Spartan))

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! I am so sorry for your loss of Ally. She was lucky to have you for 17 years. As you were lucky to have her.

We'd love to hear all about your search for your next beagle, and of course raising her.

To introduce my crew - me, my husband, Neb (beagle mix, just shy of 13 years old), Xerxes (beagle, ~5 years), Agis (Rottie mix, 18 months) and our two cats, Timothy and Cordelia.

(If you can't tell, we named the boys after kings of antiquity - Nebuchadnezzar (Babylonian), Xerxes (Persian), and Agis (Spartan))
Thank you for the warm welcome! I was blessed for 17 years. Ally had some health problems, the two main were pneumonia when we got her (a long story) and dx of Cushing's at 14 yrs, manageable with meds. Tooth extraction surgery was our biggest scare after that - it affected her appetite (imagine! - a beagle not wanting to eat) and her meds were to be given with food. Remarkably she gave us 3 more years!

Your pet names are excellent! My adult son lives with us and has a 9 year old Yorkie, Archie. He is sweet and mellow, curls up on the couch with me. I hope he will be accepting of a puppy! Still researching dog introductions. I over-analyze so too much info paralyzes me and I'll have to stop for a short bit.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Welcone. So sorry for the loss
Your dog lived an amazing long life.. no doubt due to good care. I waited to retire to plunge in and get a beagle puppy
Cassie recently turned 9 years old and says Hi. We look forward to your next quirky little bugger...lol feel free to give us advice.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
She was lucky to have you help her with the pneumonia - we had a dog who got that when he was older (he had laryngeal paralysis). And that you got her Cushings diagnosed.

Archie sounds sweet - and I'm sure you'll be able to get him and the puppy along. Luckily while the beagle will be bigger, not TOO bigger. Agis is 54lbs and has almost 20lbs on Xerxes - we had to stop them playing for awhile because Agis was too rough. Now he lets Xerxes control and initiate the play.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your dog lived an amazing long life.. no doubt due to good care. I waited to retire to plunge in and get a beagle puppy
Cassie recently turned 9 years old and says Hi. We look forward to your next quirky little bugger...lol feel free to give us advice.
View attachment 42137 View attachment 42138
Hello Cassie! You are a beautiful beagle girl.
View attachment 42137 View attachment 42138
ooops, I posted my reply accidentally before I finished. Lucky indeed to have 17 wonderful years. I was sure we’d have more time but osteosarcoma had different idea. The breeder search is on; I’m checking a list from the AKC webpage as well as National Beagle Club. i‘m on the east coast so looking mostly with a day or so drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She was lucky to have you help her with the pneumonia - we had a dog who got that when he was older (he had laryngeal paralysis). And that you got her Cushings diagnosed.

Archie sounds sweet - and I'm sure you'll be able to get him and the puppy along. Luckily while the beagle will be bigger, not TOO bigger. Agis is 54lbs and has almost 20lbs on Xerxes - we had to stop them playing for awhile because Agis was too rough. Now he lets Xerxes control and initiate the play.
It was touch and go with the pneumonia- 5 days in ICU, IV antibiotics, oxygen text and low probability of survival but she did it. We noted increased water intake so off to the vet, lots of tests later we got the Cushing’s diagnosis. She responded well to trilosane. Archie loved her from the start, he was a puppy and visited occasionally in the first few years. When they moved in with us, he wanted to snuggle and she wanted her space. Every time she fell asleep, he‘d snuggle up next to her. She’d wake to him and jgive him the side eye - then one of them would move. never any angry “words”. She was amazingly tolerant. He respected her boundaries. Hope he will be tolerant when the time comes,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts