Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm exhausted. I adopted a beagle from the pound 8 days ago. He is probably 4 years old. I named him Oscar. I love him already! We have some training issues ahead of us, but I think he will become an integral part of my family. He joins my other son Oliver (a greyhound) and Jerry (my female 9-year-old cat). Oh, yeah, and my husband, Keith.

I will be looking for advice in the other forums and am so looking forward to reading others' experiences!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy Susette. Welcome to Beagle World. My adult rescue Bagel sends a welcome arrroooo to Oscar. You will find that Oscar will get Oliver off the couch so to speak, I know greyhounds, like most sighthounds, can become such mellow couch-potatoes, when removed from a hunting environment and Oscar will bring the dog back out of Oliver. If you can, either you or Keith could take Oscar to a basic obedience class, it will help you bond, and learn how to think like a beagle. Beagles are a different breed. I got my Bagel from a kill shelter at about the same age as Oscar, that was 10 and half years ago and he is still healthy, active, and a joy to be with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Bob! We are all starting a basic obedience class TONIGHT! I am really looking forward to it. I know that once I am trained
life will be much better for all!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to BW! As we all can attest, it doesn't take long to fall in love with our beagles. I adopted my Maggie from a shelter when she was about one year old and she turned 13 this past June. There have been some trying times over the years but all worth it! Looking forward to pictures of Oscar and honorary beagles, Oliver and Jerry.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing pictures of Oscar

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
A big welcome to BW. Looking forward to hearing how your pack get along. Thank you for rescuing Oscar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am embarrassed to say I do not have any pics yet of Oscar! I will definitely post some next week. Wait till you see his eyes. My vet gave me a big explanation on why his eyes look the way they do, something about his second eyelids are pink instead of black. It's a unique look. We've been having lots of fun going on walks and smelling everything, even the cat as much as she will tolerate it. I am so proud of my Jerry the cat in being as patient as she can be with the constant sniffing. Oscar is such a good boy! The training fell through as the trainer never showed up! I have someone else in mind and can't wait to see how Oscar does. He seems so observant and smart!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Originally Posted By: SusetteI am embarrassed to say I do not have any pics yet of Oscar! I will definitely post some next week. Wait till you see his eyes. My vet gave me a big explanation on why his eyes look the way they do, something about his second eyelids are pink instead of black. It's a unique look. We've been having lots of fun going on walks and smelling everything, even the cat as much as she will tolerate it. I am so proud of my Jerry the cat in being as patient as she can be with the constant sniffing. Oscar is such a good boy! The training fell through as the trainer never showed up! I have someone else in mind and can't wait to see how Oscar does. He seems so observant and smart!!
I can't wait to see those eyes! And your confession about not having any pictures of Oscar yet leads me to one I now have to make as well - I can find a gazillion pictures of our first few days and weeks after adopting each of Booker, Popcorn, and now Buzz... but for some reason we seem to have absolutely no pictures like that for Moose. Maybe we were having so much fun with him we forgot to take pictures?! Or we didn't have a good camera at the time? Anyway Susette - we look forward to seeing pictures of Oscar when you get some!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome Susette and Oscar! Our Beagles can be exhausting sometimes but they are worth every minute. Jersey stole my heart from day one. I can't wait to see pictures of Oscar.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts