Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife Holly and I got Bodie when he was 8 weeks old. He's now 13 weeks older and 5 lbs. heavier.

His training is going very well. We're amazed at how quickly he picks things up. And as long as I take him out before I goto bed (10:30ish) he hasn't had any accidents over night. We're still struggling with Down and leash walking. I thought joining a Beagle specific forum might be more useful since some of their traits are unique.

My focus right now is to improve his leash walking. It's been a challenge to say the least. I'm hoping to learn from other members what they've done with their Beagles to get them to walk better.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Welcome,

You will get lots of advice here. Sometimes it feels like walks are more like moving sniffs with multiple stops when something smells real good. I know how you feel.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to BW! Bodie is just precious. I adopted my Maggie when she was about one year old so my walking techniques might not be right for young Bodie but what I did was, for at least one walk a day, let Maggie sniff for the first few minutes as we walked along, then I picked up the pace and basically didn't allow her to stop and sniff, then on the return trip home let her sniff again for the last few minutes. If I felt Maggie start to move in the direction of the grass, I would give her leash (attached to harness) a quick little tug and she would get back on track. Now that she is a senior (at 13) all we do are sniffs -- no more brisk walking!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy Holly and Brien - welcome to Beagle World and a big ole welcome arrrooooo Bodie. I guess I need to know what kind of walk you want out of Bodie. My beagle, the Bagel will polite walk or heal if I insist but it isn't much fun for either of us. I'll describe how to train Bodie if you really want but perhaps better that you and Bodie attend obdedience school together. Now to have enjoyable walks is another thing. I let the Bagel and his nose lead and only turn him if I wish to go in another direction. That means most of the time, we usually go where his nose wants to take us. The key items to training him was a harness, my refusal to give in if I said no, and praise when he would change direction at my whim. The harness is to pull him back from the hazards we have encountered, (mineshafts, rattlesnakes, a badger, etc...) not to force him to comply. I don't want him to ever succeed at pulling nor do I want him to hurt himself pulling so the harness is necessary. Praise, having fun, enjoying the walk are important for both of us. We do a lot of emploring of old ghost towns and my direction whims need to be satisified as well as his nose. Talking to Bodie in a joyful, happy voice will keep his attention and make walks more fun! Bodie is a cute pup.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World! I'm Glenda and am currently owned by 9 of the little darlings - oh and I'm from Sacramento! Would love to move back home, but guess I'm stuck in eastern Washington. Bodie is absolutely adorable - but then, I've never seen an ugly beagle puppy!
I agree with Bob - I would strongly suggest puppy classes for him - it will be wonderful for the whole family!

You're in for a great adventure with a beagle puppy!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Welcome!! He is SOOO adorable! We just got our two beags last year (they're 3yrs) and we're still trying to get them to walk nicely. LOL But they're much better than they were before. It's just taken a lot of repetition.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Welcome! Bodie is so cute. I got Maggie at 8 weeks. We took several obedience classes and I am so glad we did. I highly recommend it to anyone with a pup.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Welcome!! I had to chuckle when I saw your beagle's name!! My son's name is Bode, pronounced the same as Bodie!! LOL!! Those ears are just too precious for words!! You will love it here at BW!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Welcome to BeagleWorld!.
Winston is now 4 months and the walking was tough when we first started out too. At least one walk a day now, I just loop the leash on my wrist, stick my hands in my pocket, forget he's with me and GO! This way he learns to pay attention to me and keep up to me. You'll be surprised how little pulling and stopping to sniff he can get away with this way. I also use a harness, maybe not ideal for training but it works for us. I still let him have a sniff and explore walk each day too, but he's much better on these since I started the walk and ignore.
There was a time I thought Winston would NEVER learn anything, but thanks to a wealth of information from Beagleworld, things are looking up! They will for you too!
By the way, he's adorable!
It also helps for potty training, so he's not going on someone elses lawn, and holding it longer. We take some time to do the business before and after the walk in our potty spot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts