Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I stumbled upon this site after getting my little Beagle girl, Peanut. My dad had a beagle as I child and I was looking for a dog to kind of move into adulthood with me (I just turned 21 and have a year left of college), and so I picked a Beagle. My other dog, Oreo the papillion, who has been my best friend since I was about 7 has a heart problem and won't be around much longer, so it was time.

She is 10 weeks old, and just a little bundle of love and fury! Her favorite past time is to zoom around the house at mach speeds and chew everything she can (mostly her toys, but she's in the darn teething stage).

I will post a couple pictures of her if someone will kindly tell me how!

You all seem so wonderful and I'm excited to be a part of the group.

I have a lot of questions about puppies (been a long time since I've had one) so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears:

At what age can they start learning commands/maybe going to obedience classes?

What age to spay?

Is it normal for a puppy to hate their collar for the first time? Should I just leave it on her, even though she will scratch and scratch at it? Or, is she too young for a harness?

Any leash training tips?

All I got for now.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Oh, I also ride and show horses (reining for those of you who are horse people), so we'll see what Peanut thinks of that this summer! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I'm sure I'll have some stories and pictures (don't worry, I won't let her get hurt!)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/help.gif to both you and Peanut... you'll love it here.
Starting with your questions, I would say crate train for potty and limits. This will also help with her chewing things she shouldn't be chewing. There is a link somewhere about crate training (How BeagleBabe trained Abby). I think that as soon as the puppy can be separated from his mommy and litter, you can start training. Basic commands (sit, stay, down, heel) are very important for both bonding with the puppy and it will make everything easier for you.
Most vets will spay between 4-6 months of age. I would recommend spaying her before her first cycle.
Collar/harness/leash: they won't like it at first. Just to get her used to it (if you don't want her eventually with it on all the time) leave it on her and praise and treat when she is not objecting to you putting it on her. The next stage would be to leash her and leave the leash attached. 5, 10, 15 minutes at a time and again, praise when she is fine with it. She will get used to it in no time. Personally I like my dog "naked" indoors, but I live in an apartment and it's not like there is a flight rist....

Good luck, and remember - we're here for questions.

Oh, with the horses - don't let her roam free, off-leash! Most beagles can't be trusted off-leash, and once they'll pick up a scent - you can forget about it.

I can't add the link from some reason, but it's on health and welfare section: "How I crate trained Abby successfully in a weekend." (you can also run a search to find it easily).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no doubt, she'll never be off the leash. My boyfriend has a yellow lab (that I picked up running on the interstate) and she can't be trusted off leash either, so she's got a LARGE outdoor kennel next to the outdoor arena that we ride in during the summer, so miss Peanut gets to share the kennel wil Lola during the day (once she's big enough to be around a lab that is)!

Thank you for the tips. As of now my mother is potty training her. My mom works for 4 hours a day, so Peanut gets up in the morning around 6, outside for potty, then hangs with mom unti 9, and back in her crate until noon. Then my mom is home and Peanut is with mom in the house the rest of the day, but my mom takes her outside every 30 min. She has not yet pooped in the house, and does have pee accidents, but she is learning. She figured out the older dog's doggy door in about an hour of being there!

We put her in the crate when she wants to take a nap, and she is crated at night. Hope this is an ok way to do it--mom can't stand locking her up, because the other dogs have free roam and according to my mom "thats not fair" haha.

·
Registered
702 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/help.gifHi to you and Peanut!! This is a great group where you will be able to ask any question and have a lot of fun to boot /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

It sounds like Peanut is a very sweet girl. She's doing very well already /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif I've haven't raised a puppy for years, so I can't really help there. But I think common sense is a good start. My Daisy was a stray and she's now almost nine years old. Kisses from Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yay.gif

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: PeanutsMotherThanks everyone!
Could anyone explain to me, how to post pictures of my girl?
Go to the Infomation & Help Center, there is a section on "How To". You'll find a very detailed explanation there on how to post pictures.

Can't wait /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/dancemm2.gif

·
Registered
139 Posts
hi welcome

i still cant put pics on !! even though some of the members have e mailed me ABC instructions !! so i asked the to do it for me and they kindly did once i e mailed the photos to them ( i do know how to that much !!)

good luck with peanut. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/help.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy - Welcome to Beagle World and a big ole welcome arroooo to Peanut. All my dogs have been adult rescues so I;ll defer to the puppy people in advice. I would think training at home could begin now. I would thing all puppy shots need to have been recieved before entering puppy classes. I sure hope some one with more puppy experience can confirm this.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/help.gif My Li'l Girl was an adult when we adopted her, and we haven't had a puppy for quite some time, so will defer to the ones who have puppies to help you with the puppy training. Chantel sounds like a sweet beagle baby. Will look forward to pictures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts