Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY name is Tim, my beagle is Zoey, She is 8 months old now. We just adopted her about a week ago. She was in less than friendly household. They used bark collars and crated their dogs all day.

She seems to trust me and Sarah my girlfriend a lot and loves her new home very much. We are having problems getting her housebroken however. We walk her twice a day and she will only evacuate on these walks. So when we bring her out to her spot about once an hour and tell her to go to the bathroom she just stands and sniff's and gets distracted by every little bug or lizard. Then we bring her back in because she doesn't evacuate. She then proceeds to evacuate when we take showers or are making dinner ect.. We've tried putting paper towels soaked with her urine at her spot to get her to go and she refuses to go.
So we're now trying a method we found on a beagle web site which is to keep her in the crate all the time and bring her out and feed her on the regular schedule. She is supposed to figure out that when she goes out it is to evacuate. After 2 days of this she still refuses to go in her spot she only wants to go where the neighborhood dogs go. She would rather hold it and go back to the crate than go in her spot.

We're out of ideas. Please help, we hate to crate her so much.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Welcome to the pack.

I don't know if crate training would be the best approach for an older dog that was crated a lot previously. But if you can't find a solution that works, you may need to do it.

When you said you take her out every hour and she sniffs around it's probably because she doesn't need to go. What you should do is create a potty schedule. Work it around your family's schedule and do 2 hour intervals at first. Se how that goes and then expand it to 3 hours. Obviously give her lots of praise when she does go.

If she has an accident don't be too alarmed. She's in a new setting and I'm sure it's a little dramatic for her. Be patient and give it time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!
Just got some good news! She went in our yard today! Getting closer to the spot!
I hope today can be her last day in the crate.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Welcome to beagle world! When we got our two beags they were about 2yrs old. We think they were previously hunting dogs but it didn't take too long to housebreak them. Daisy would do what Zoey does sometimes though. I would take her outside and she would just sniff and stare at me like... what, mom?

It does pass though
A potty schedule is a great thing.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Welcome to BW!

Poor Zoey probably doesn't know what she is supposed to do outside since she probably had to potty in the crate at the previous owner's house.

Henry was about 5 yrs. old when we first got him and I would get so frustrated when he would not pee on his outings but go on the rug the minute we came in. Consistency is the key; Brien makes a good point...take her out on a fixed schedule less often than you so now. And like us and Henry, one day you'll suddenly realize that Zoey hasn't peed in the house in a long time.

And always use positive reinforcement rather than screaming or physical punishment. Hang in there.

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW! Another Florida Beagler joins our pack! Just stay patient and consistent with Zoey and she'll eventually get the potty thing down. Find some nice yummy treats that Zoey loves. Take them with you every time she goes outside. When she potty's outside, immediately give her a treat and praise her like no dog has ever done anything so good. Eventually, it will click that potty outside means she gets some nice yummy treats. We were having some problems with housebreaking Jersey and that was what we did. She got the hang of it in no time once we started treating her every time she went out. Hang in there, she'll get the hang of it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts