Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new here and new to Beagles. My last dog was Sam, a yellow Lab rescue and the most gentle soul you could imagine. Broke my heart when he finally had to go about four years ago. My wife and I retired a few months ago and moved from Pennsylvania to Georgia. I quickly found that I was getting lazy and needed a good excuse to get some exercise, so Charlie became a member of the family. He's my exercise coach.

Charlie is a found-wondering rescue, one vet says about 1-2 years and another says 3-4, so he's mostly grown but still young and very energetic. I think I've mostly got a gem here. He doesn't chew, is house trained and sleeps in his crate with the door open at night

However, I'm beginning to see what people mean when they say that a Beagle is stubborn. We live in the North Georgia mountain country, in the woods populated by hundreds of deer which are not hunted so are fearless of humans. Charlie and I go on morning and evening walks, about a mile each. At least I walk a mile... Charlie walks or trots about four times that. Of course he either visually spots deer or locks onto the scent several times on each walk. When that happens Jekyll instantly turns into Hyde. All the leash training disappears and he announces to the county in general that he's tracking a beastie while trying to pull me along behind. He's got a pinch collar for our walks, which does a great job normally but he'll endure anything when he's on scent and completely ignores it. Will he ever get to the point where he doesn't go crazy when he scents a deer?

I do have one question. Charlie has a distinct 'doggie' odor which comes and goes. It doesn't seem to be his breath, his coat, or gas. It seems worse at night but can pretty much disappear in minutes. Anybody have an experience like this?

Also, how can I attach a picture of Charlie as a sig?

Regards,
Fred and Charlie

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. Charlie sounds like a great beagle. I doubt that he will ever get over that tracking instince. Mine goes nuts every morning if she gets a scent of a raccoon in the backyard from the night before. It is the only time she ever using that baying bark.
I am not good with attaching pictures but I know you need 100 posts before you can attach your avatar. I did look at your picture of Charlie. He has a cute face.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
from another Georgia woods dweller. We live in the NW corner of the state. Beagles have been a part of our lives for 35 years, and I love the little hounds. I sincerely doubt that you'll ever be able to change Charlie's behavior when he gets on a scent. Do be sure to have him on leash, though, because we had a beagle disappear for 4 days once when he got on a deer scent. We got him back, but learned a valuable lesson about unleashed beagles.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Welcome. We love to add new beagle friends around here. It is accurate that to place a photo as the avatar you need to have posted 100 times. You could put one like you did in your signature at the bottom or you can post a picture in your message when you like. We all love photos. I also looked at your small photo of Charlie. He is very cute. I hope you enjoy your time here.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to BW! Charlie looks and sounds like a sweetie. Similarly, my Maggie (who is now 13+ years old) came to me from a shelter at about 1 year old after wandering the streets. Other BW members have commented on a distinct Frito smell that their beagles have, particularly on their feet -- perhaps that is the doggie odor you have detected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're almost neighbors, Sandyj. I live in Ellijay. Rest assured, Charlie never goes out without his leash. He did give us a scare once... had him tied out just outside the garage while my wife and I were in and out cleaning it out. She suddenly noticed he was gone. He'd chewed through the lead. We started frantically looking and found him calmly sitting by the front door waiting for it to open. Lucky there wasn't a deer around.

Now he has a plastic covered steel cable for the very occasional tie-outs.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yes, we are almost neighbors.
Every once in awhile we drive over to Ellijay, Blue Ridge, etc. Our Li'l Girl is a rescue, too. We adopted her from the Humane Society in Whitfield County in July, 2000. She's my angel.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Welcome to you and Charlie! We also have rescue beagles - four of them! We live in the city so our pack don't see deer very often, but they do go nutso over squirrels... and I don't think there is much that can be done to stop that!

I wonder if the odour you mention is the corn chip smell from Charlie's paws - a lot of our beagles have that smell when they get warm (which makes me think that might be it since you say it is mostly at night) but I like the smell so I don't mind it! Another possibility if it really is a nasty smell might be his anal glands - if you haven't had the pleasure, that smells more like battery acid!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
A big welcome to the world of beagles. You'll love it here. Cant explain the odor unless its the typical hound smell. Or is it a metalic smell? Then it will be his anal glands that need squeezing.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Welcome to BW! I have a wonderful rescue named Henry that is a beagle/german shepherd mix. I love him to pieces and am so happy that you decided to adopt. You will have a lifetime of devotion from Charlie. Henry is more devoted to me than my other dogs were, whom I had raised from puppies. Not by much, but enough to make me think that he's grateful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts