Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Beagle World. Greetings from Ogden, Utah. I'm glad I found this place. It looks like a good place to get a lot of advice, and after the last two weeks I think I'll need it!

This is Julia. We got her when she was 6 weeks old, and she's 8 1/2 weeks now. My wife grew up with dogs, but this is my first experience with having any dog, let alone a beagle. We've got four young kids, and I think it will be a good experience for them as well. A lot of people are telling me I don't know what I've got myself into, that a beagle isn't a good choice for a first dog, but after all the reading and research we've done, and our experience over the past couple of weeks, I think we made the right choice. She's strong willed and likes to growl and nip at all of us (which will be the subject of my first request for advice) but she is a sweet puppy and I think she'll be an excellent companion to all of us as she matures. Wish me luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
She is adorable! Welcome to you and Julia. People made the same comment to us when we bought our first Beagle 11 yrs ago, we now have 2 and those people were WRONG! They are great dogs and this is a great site. You will learn a lot here.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome!!! Julia is magnificent

The first dog you take, whether it's a Beagle or not, should fit your family and lifestyle. If you researched beforehand and concluded that a Beagle is for you - all those people who advise otherwise should be ignored!

From experience (and you'll get a similar answer from all of us here, doh!!) - Beagles are the best!! However, they aren't for everyone. They require a lot of attention and careful discipline at the beginning. They are stubborn but extremely smart (you are in for the ride of your life
).

About the nipping and growling, this should be nipped (hehe) in the bud! When she does it to any of you, make a sharp noise and a firm NO! then, when she stops give her a toy or something she is allowed to chew on.
Another option is a spray bottle with water, whenever she bites, spray to her nose. They don't particularly like it, so they usually stop pretty quickly and after several sprays they stop as you reach for the bottle.

Take lots of pictures, and remember - when you want to kill her... don't - you'll laugh about it in a year or so.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Welcome to BW. She is sooooooooooooooooo cute:)

You said, A lot of people are telling me I don't know what I've got myself into.

Ummm never mind that, I said that to Myself when I first adopted My beagle, Heck I may of even yelled it.

Now I know WHY, )My gawd I have never had a dog That showed so much love. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Welcome
Our first dog my husband and I got as a family was also a beagle Bazel followed by Merlin [ not with us now] we couldn't have been happier we are on a 3rd one now with Millie. We can't imagine having any other dog but a beagle
Julia is lovely .

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. She is adorable! We had dogs when I was a child and my husband had an older dog when we got married but Maggie was my first puppy. I got the same kind of comments you did and there were days when I wondered if I was crazy. The work I put into Maggie that first year has truely paid off and she is a wonderful companion. I highly recommend some kind of obedience class and I would only take a class that will let you involve your kids in some way. (at least any of them who are old enough to participate.)
Enjoy her, even on the hard days because that funny puppy stage will be gone before you know it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Julia is so adorable!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Welcome. She is just the most precious little girl I have seen since the last beagle baby pics I looked at. Beagles are wonderful little creatures, and only special people can have them.
I've had poodles and poodle crosses before, loved all four of them, but I have had three beagles, and wouldn't trade one of them for another poodle or any other breed. They are great dogs for families. I am glad you found us...we're hear to see the pictures, hear the stories and share with you all the joys of being owned by a beagle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts