Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My name is Brian and I adopted a beagle-mix (I named him Oscar) about a month ago. Oscar was found as a stray by a friend of a friend. The vet said Oscar was hit by a car right before he was found - he couldn't use his rear left leg and was limping. Long story short, he had FHO surgery and is now doing much better. He still doesn't use his rear left leg consistently, but at least he's no longer in constant pain. Anyway, Oscar is my first beagle-mix, and he's also my first fully grown rescue (I've only adopted puppies in the past). It's also been a very long time since I've owned a dog (16+ years). I can say this past month has been a learning experience and at times I felt a little overwhelmed. However, Oscar has been a very good dog. He's very loving and sweet, and even his stubbornness is endearing. My only complaints are that he LOVES to bark at other dogs on walks, and he gets overzealous with the property protection (he goes barky-barky-barky-infinity when people come over). Hopefully I can train him to tone these behaviors down a notch (another thread is forthcoming). In any case, I am very happy to have adopted him - he makes me smile, and I love spending time with him.

I am very excited to find a forum dedicated to beagles, and I am looking forward to some interesting conversations. Without further ado, here is Oscar:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy Brian :wave: Welcome to Beagle World and a big arrooooo to Oscar. My beagle doesn't bark, in fact he has barked a total of 5 times in the 9 years I've had him! He does arroooo and is zealous in thinking all dogs should be his friend and he should get to meet any dog he sees. I've never thought of a beagle as a property protector. I suspect some of Oscar traits are rescue baggage but with time, that should become easy to change. The general discussion area gets move visits and look-sees than this thread. Oscar looks happy and very much at home in those pictures.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW, Brian & Oscar! Any guess on Oscar's age? I have a rescued beagle as well, Maggie, who was about 1 year old at time of rescue and is now almost 12. I didn't hear an "arooo" from her for many years -- she has definitely found her voice now, howling if I am too slow with dinner, howling when she plays chase ... Oscar looks very wise and, like all of our beagles, looks like he loves getting belly rubs!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vet estimates that Oscar is about 2 years old. I sometimes think he's A LOT older because he acts like a grumpy old man at times. He'd bark, we'd tell him to be quiet, and he will ALWAYS bark (grumble) under his breath a few times before completely stops. It's quite funny.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome Brian & Oscar! :wave: My Li'l Girl is a rescue, too, and was a year to 18 months old when we adopted her. Thank you for rescuing Oscar, and we'll look forward to more pictues and stories.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Welcome. I love the pictures. I have to find the time to learn how to post pictures. I am so glad you said that your beagle makes you smile. Whenever anyone says "why did you get a beagle?" my new reply is "my dog makes me laugh every day does yours?" Looking forward to more pictures and stories.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Welcome to you and Oscar. Like lots of others here we also have adult rescues - three in total... so hopefully we can all give you guidance as you go through some rescue "wrinkles" with Oscar! He looks like a really cutie - any idea what the "mix" is in his beagle-mix? He sure looks awfully beagley to me!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The first time I saw Oscar, I thought he's a purebred beagle. However, there are a couple things that makes me think he's a mix. First of all, his hair is REALLY soft - almost downy soft - except for a strip of short, glossy, coarse, and black hair down his back. From what I understood, that's the type of hair beagles have, so I figured that most of his fur is from another breed, but he inherited his hackles from his beagle lineage. Secondly, his butt is just kinda... Wrong. Here is a pic:

As you can see, his butt is SUPER small compared to the rest of his body (see where the rib cage ends). At first I thought he's just skinny from being a stray, but now that he's really plumping up, his butt is still very small. It's actually really cute, it looks like someone took the front end of a beagle and stuck the back end of a smaller dog together!

Anyway, the vet wasn't sure what the other mix(es) might be either. I think there might be some terrier in him. Whatever his composition, he sure turned out cute though!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

So he had a dislocated hip. How long ago was surgery done? I ask because in you pics there is no cast or shaved area. If its been a while and he still isn't putting weight on it, there could be nerve damage. Hopefully is was recent and Oscar is still healing.

As for the fur being soft with a course strip, that sounds like my Summer. We found that a dogs coat depends on what you feed them. Purina One keeps our two soft and happy. We put Summer on Purina OM (Diet) for some time. She didn't lose weight but her coat lost its softness and became course. Once we switched he back, it returned to its normal self.

Keep us up on his progress.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He had his operation about three weeks ago. It's really only been about two weeks since his staples came out, so he is still healing. He is going in for a follow up exam in two weeks. We'll see what the vet recommends.

I am feeding Oscar Nature's Recipe right now, but I think I will be switching him to Blue afterwards. You're right, his diet definitely affects his fur's softness - when we first go him his fur was so coarse, but after switching him to NR, it became much softer.

I will definitely keep everyone updated on Oscar's progress!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Welcome to the BW /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Your Oscar is gorgeous /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif And what a sweet muzzle :heart: I'm glad you rescued him, and hope all the best for both of you!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Welcome to BW!!!
My other dog(retriever) has a dislocated hip too. We rescued him when he was 4, now 11, yes, we too suspect that he is a lot older, rescue foundation tends to estimate their age a lot younger, so we thought. He now suffering from severe arthritis on his hip. We suspected he was injured in a car accident which dislocate his hips. Check with the vet to see if you need to give him anything to prevent arthritis in his later years, or just to keep him healthy.
As for barking at others, Charlie does that a lot in the park, he likes to steal toys and possess them. If he can't get it he will bark, :greendevil: soooo loud it is quite alarming. So I would squirt him with a squirt bottle and tell him to stop. It works every time. Do it when you think he is getting out of control only, bad behavior.
Once again, welcome.

Charlie mom

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to BW. Oscar is very attractive and must be at least 90% beagle.
The barking can be difficult to stop One of our rescues barks like mad if he sees another dog whilst we are out walking. Some people have found going to dog school can help, if Oscar has a lot of contact with other dogs he might greet strange dogs with a tail wag rather than a bark. In the house Oscar should be allowed to bark if he hears or sees something strange, but learn to stop when told to.
You havent had him long so maybe he just needs to settle in. Good luck, and keep us up to date. Hope his medical problems are sorted soon.
The photos are wonderful
Angela and the pack

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you everyone for such a warm welcome, and thank you for the advices about barking. I am hoping Oscar will learn to bark less with more socialization. I really don't think he's aggressive, and I think he's just excited to see other dogs. In any case, we're going to group obedience class in less than three weeks, and we'll see how he reacts to other dogs.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
So happy to meet you and Oscar. I love that name and it could very well have been my Henry's name under other circumstances.

You are a special person...not many people would adopt an adult dog with a fresh injury in need of surgery. Oscar will reward you with so much love for that...just watch!

I wonder what xrays of Oscar's skeleton would show. His ribs are pronounced and his hips almost look atrophied. Our border-collie mix came to us with an acetabulum fracture (which the vets decided to not do surgery on) and to this day, her hips seem slightly smaller that the rest of her.

But your description of Oscar is right on...somebody put the front part of a "beetle" onto the back part of a smaller dog. Bingo!

On Oscars behalf...thank you for taking him in and taking him on. Not many people would care that much about a homeless little dog. (Maybe that's what he is trying to tell you when he grumbles under his breath).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts