Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not new to beagles but this is the first time I have been here!

Alittle about myself, I am currently a Student at Texas Tech trying to achieve my Mechanical Engineering degree. I got 2 more years left in my degree plan. Ever sense i been in Lubbock i have lived at places that didn't allow pets, or required a HUGE pet deposit. But i have finally got a place of my own and for as long as i have remembered i wanted a dog. Now that i am buying my own place i don't have to worry about any landlord not liking me and my dog.

Now at the beginning i said i am not new to Beagles so i figured alittle back ground on that is in order.

Me and my Mother got my Dad a Beagle for his Christmas gift. We went to a breeder locally and got a very nice 15" beagle pup. We took him home and gave him to my Dad, who instantly named him "Squirrel"!!

Squirrel was one of the best dog i have known us to have, he was playful, he was good with kids, as we have a 4 and 1 yr old playing with him all the time. He helped guided my mother's Deaf mixed mutt, like he would go get Hotdog when we called for him and get him sent our way. He did his "AROO" when people came to the house, but was really friendly with them!!

But on July 14th it was a tragic day for my family. Now Squirrel was almost 2 yrs old, and he was a good escape artist!! we buried chicken wire around the fence line, we put rocks and his own crap in the holes he digged, we did everything possible to keep him in but he found new spots. As for calling him back after he gets out, DREAM ON!!! Well that day i got the call that my Grandmother in Alabama has finally passed away due to kidney failure, So i left from Lubbock to get to Odessa and pick up my Dad. When i got there i learned that Squirrel had made an escape. Well my dad tried to find him before we left, but we couldn't find him and we asked our neighbors to keep a look out for him as it was dark and late that night, we left the gate open hoping he would come home and stay there.

We left to Alabama worried about Squirrel and at the same time sad about my grandmother and trying to get to Alabama soon to be with my Mother since she was already out there.

We called friends to go looking for him and check the pound for us, but no luck.

Well the day of the funeral we called the pound, it was a Tuesday. They said they found a dog with a tag name Squirrel but he was not in the pound. They said this meant he was runned over. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

When we got home, we went to the pound and looked in the book to find Squirrel's name and it said he was found on a street 5 blocks from home, Sunday Morning.

Well, we never did get his collar as they said they didn't remove the collars on dead dogs. we went to that area and asked the people there if they seen a dog like that, and this lady said yes i was the one who called the pound for him, he had been hit that morning.

Well, my father told afew friends about his dog getring ran over, and this one fella offered us a full blooded beagle for free! He siad they ain't been born yet but we could have the pick of the litter when they are. Well today was that day! they was borned today and i will be picking one for myself!

I will be taking what i learned from Squirrel and applying it to my new Friend when he/she gets here! Also i will be going to Obedience school to do my best to train my new friend so he will be safe. Like coming to me when he is called.

So i figured i would join a site to get suggestion on training a beagle, and i have been reading most of the day threads that have been posted already on question i was wondering about.

So i know this is long, but i figured ya'll would want a good introduction!

Check the large pic section in a min for pics of Squirrel and HotDog.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack! You came to the right place for info. There is plenty of experience here (good and bad). We will help you out as best we can.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Welcome to you from Henry and I!

Wow, what a story.

I'm sorry about Squirrel. He was a very special little guy...it's clear that you loved him very much.

I can't wait to see his picture in the other section.

My Henry was a hurricane dog who came up to us in rather sad condition but is healthy, spoiled and begging for my oatmeal as I speak.

Glad you found BW.

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW! I am so glad you found us -- we get the benefit of all your puppy pics (hint, hint!) and you get to share with us. You already sound so prepared for your new family member -- I think only good things will come to you when you get to bring home your pup.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome to BW Madison ! You couldn't choose a better friend than a beagle ! Even the "bad" days are "good" wnen a beagle is around and sorry to hear about Squirrel. You did everything you could but taking that "escape" trait out of a beagle is almost impossible . Goo Luck !! :wave: :thumbup:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the Welcome folks!

I am still reading, but when i can't find afew answer to my question i will be sure to post up!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Welcome! I have a bad habit about bragging about Goobers long & active life...(but like humans... dog's are living longer as well)! I never would have thought that a hound would live longer than a caged bird in the "parrot family", but my cockateil only lived for 16 1/2 yrs & Goober has less than a year to beat that record! Cockateils live on average to 17, & Goober is still "amble-enough" to ignore the doggie-steps I purchased for him! He is still strong enough to jump onto my bed & coil up in my armpit for the night! :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts