Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or should that be Beagelers? How 'bout Fellow Beagle Owners. There. We were at the new 8 acre dog park in town and ran into a fellow Beagle fancier and he mentioned this site. I signed up as soon as I got home... We got our first Beagle, Belle (our girl, 13 inches) back in 2000 when she was but a year old or so. She had been given away countless times by countless owners. When we got wind of it, we decided to accept her, sight unseen. My wife and I spent the next several months coaxing her off of each others laps curing commercial breaks when watching TV so after a year of that, I decided to get myself a Beagle! The more the merrier...We found Tinker (our boy, coming in at 18 inches!) in 2001 on the Columbia Willamette club's site. They do great work. He was tied to a tree for his first two years while rocks and food came his way several times a week. It took a year or two to socialize him and get him to trust humans again, and he still has his off days, but he loves us. He is quite the loyal hound and follows me all around the house. We had never owned dogs before, and am glad we ended up with Beagles. These two hounds have changed our lives. We are childless, and they have given us unconditional love and made us both all the better. So, now that I'm all signed up, I can't wait to ask lots of questions and hopefuly answer some others. But for now, it's time to learn how to post pictures...I can't wait to share! Thanks everyone, be seeing you! ~Mark

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. It sounds like your beagles have found a great home with you. I will look forward to hearing more about them.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Thank you for rescuing these two sweet beagles.
My Li'l Girl is also a rescue who was adopted in 2000 at about the age of a year. What a loss to whoever abandoned her, but what a blessing for me.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Welcome to BW, and thank you for rescuing your beags. They both sound wonderful, and I look forward to the pictures!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to BW! Double kudos to you for giving forever homes to Belle and Tinker -- speaking from experience (my adopted beagle, Maggie, is now 13), it is not easy trying to figure out how to rid our rescues of their baggage. Here is a link to some assistance with posting photos: Photo Posting Help . Looking forward to pictures and tales of adventure!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy - Welcome to beagle World -- Bless you for being there for Belle and for giving Tinker a loving forever home. Look forward to hearing more of Belle and Tinker.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Welcome,
I am that other beagle fancier at Pacific Park. I am glad you signed up. Belle and Tinker are both great looking beagles. Tinker is the first beagle I've met who is taller than my Tucker. Hope to see you again soon.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Thank you for taking two rescues. Our two are also rescues. Lots of report about them please an photos.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi and a big welcome to our pack!!

It's so wonderful that you have rescued Belle and Tinker
I can't wait to see them! My Daisy was a stray, but when we found her owner he said we could keep her. Now she's 9 years old and has been with us for almost 4 years. Don't know what we'd do without her. Beagles are so affectionate, and such little devils all at the same time

Welcome and thanks again!

Monica and Daisy

·
Registered
242 Posts
Originally Posted By: WorshipTheBeagleOr should that be Beagelers? How 'bout Fellow Beagle Owners. There. We were at the new 8 acre dog park in town and ran into a fellow Beagle fancier and he mentioned this site. I signed up as soon as I got home... We got our first Beagle, Belle (our girl, 13 inches) back in 2000 when she was but a year old or so. She had been given away countless times by countless owners. When we got wind of it, we decided to accept her, sight unseen. My wife and I spent the next several months coaxing her off of each others laps curing commercial breaks when watching TV so after a year of that, I decided to get myself a Beagle! The more the merrier...We found Tinker (our boy, coming in at 18 inches!) in 2001 on the Columbia Willamette club's site. They do great work. He was tied to a tree for his first two years while rocks and food came his way several times a week. It took a year or two to socialize him and get him to trust humans again, and he still has his off days, but he loves us. He is quite the loyal hound and follows me all around the house. We had never owned dogs before, and am glad we ended up with Beagles. These two hounds have changed our lives. We are childless, and they have given us unconditional love and made us both all the better. So, now that I'm all signed up, I can't wait to ask lots of questions and hopefuly answer some others. But for now, it's time to learn how to post pictures...I can't wait to share! Thanks everyone, be seeing you! ~Mark
Wow - what a similar story to mine! The start is a little different; I had to put my Malamute down on May 20th. One of the vet techs who wanted to be there with me and Makaella, gave me a flyer on a Beagle and told me to look at it after a few days.

When I did I saw a (very cute, if I must say so myself!) Beagle on a 6ft chain. I called the woman arranging the adoption and was told he had lived on the chain outside 24/7 on an Amish farm an hour north of where I live. I said I would just go see him-I have always been a large dog owner and didn't think I wanted a small dog.

Welllllll, when we got there, I approached him very carefully expecting aggression. (I'd be pretty p.o.'d if I lived on a 6ft chain!). When I finally got up to him not only did he not growl, back up, cower or bark - he just gave me one big sloppy lick up the side of my face! I was done. I paid them and took him home right then. He had never been in a car, never been in a house, never been to the vet, never pet by the famiy and rarely let off his chain to run - only when the woman (not Amish) visited the farm and gave him water and food and a run.

I changed his name to Jack and he is the most wonderful dog! The first picture I'm posting here is his first night in my home. When he got here he was a bit freaked out - never been in a house before - so after hours of running around discovering everything that was in a house - not peeing once I may add! - I walked in my bedroom after 1 minute of not hearing him and this is what I found. He had discovered beds and thinks they're really cool!

Question: does your Beag have separation anxiety? Jack does now and it's getting worse. I have hired a trainer to come to my home tomorrow to help me learn how I can help him (train him) to be OK when I leave. It breaks my heart to hear him cry so hard....

Anyway, good luck with your beag - keep in touch and let me know how it goes.

The end of my first day

Devildog

Jack with a new toy

·
Registered
865 Posts
Welcome to BW! It sounds like you are a Beagle Angel!!! Can't wait to see pics of your pair!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Big arroooooo to Tucker's dad! Thanks alot for telling me about this site. And for telling me about Evo, we went and got free samples from the pet store over on 164th and 9th(?) and they LOVED it. Of course anything different is probably a nice change of pace for those that are addicted to their noses (my pet theory is that their noses are so sensative that it makes them overly fond of food as well, but it's just a pet theory..) and we went back the day after grand opening and got a big bag. We are mixing it about half and half with their old food (Beneful) until the old food is gone then they'll get the new EVO full time. Did you go to the grand opening? What a nice time we had, we were there for several hours. A Walker tree hound didn't like Tinker taking her bone and she hooted and hollered. They look alot like Beagles and holy cow, you get a kick seeing that Tinker is bigger than Tucker, this tree hound was a good half a foot taller than Tinker! I thought my eyes were playing tricks at first! Seeing all those Beagles at Pacific sure gives my eyes a work out, hope I don't take the wrong ones home... We'll see you around! ~Mark

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wowwa Beaglemom! The story of Jack is very similar to our Tinker. Originally I wanted our first dog to be a greyhound, there is a great group of people who save them from the racetracks in Oregon. We ended up hearing about Belle though, and got her. After a year it was time to look for another one, to kind of balance things out in the household. We saw Shilo's picture on the web and inquired about him. They brought him over and he stayed that night. It was a perfect fit! He spent two years at his former owners tied to that tree with an old electrical cord, with the prongs pointed in at his neck. I'm sure the kids threw rocks at him, and the owners (who supposedly paid 2 grand for him from a breeder in the south) fed him, and the two other dogs they had tied to the tree, infrequently at best. Thus he has some food issues (not aggressive as in growling or baring teeth but grabbing as much as he can as fast as he can and shoving anyone or anything out of the way..And forgetting to chew!) but we tell him Easy and pull the food or snack away from him if he lunges. He is much more gentle now. He also didn't like to be left alone but having Belle for a year first, and being a reasonably smart hound, he picked up the rules and learned all the tricks inside of ONE DAY. Thus he has never had an accident in the house or 'ate the sofa' or any of that, but he does wimper just a tad when we leave him to go out to dinner or whatnot. He didn't know his given name (Shilo which I'm guessing the former owner's kids saw the Shilo movie and begged their parents to get them a Beagle, and of course they lost interest after probably two weeks or so) and in fact wouldn't even respond to it, so we held a contest at my wifes work: best new name gets a batch of her famous Swedish Truffles! Many names came our way, but Tinker stuck (Tinker and Belle!) and so far, no other dogs named Tinker have come running for me at the dog park when I holler Tinker... But hollering Belle brings at least two other Belles other than ours! Tinker also had to learn how to ride in a car and had never been in a house. That first night we had him, we sat down and turned on the TV, and oh boy, what the heck is that thing...he was freaked at first, then after several nights he would stare...and stare some more... And last but not least, he too sleeps on the bed in the same fashion as Jack. He takes snoring and snoozing to new heights! I'll post some of my favorite photos I've taken over the years in the 'big picture' section shortly. Anyway, great show saving Jack, but food for thought: They say Beagles are like potatoe chips, you can never have just one...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Welcome from the other Vancouver! It is so wonderful hearing about your two beagles and how they came to you - we also adopted our first beagle, Booker, in 2000 and haven't looked back since (we adopted our second, Moose, in 2002 and our third, Popcorn, in 2005)!

Our Moosie also spent the first year and a half of his life tied to a tree with an electrical cord... but he had the good sense to eventually chew through it and get free and the authorities picked him up. His old owner went to court to try to get him back, but eventually settled for money instead - which was the best thing that could have happened to us since that meant our adoption could go through and we haven't looked back since. Although his early years were horrible, he has managed to come through it without any apparent baggage except a fear of dental floss and smoke detector alarms!

Looking forward to hearing lots of stories about Belle and Tinker!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hello and Welcome to BW!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking these two babies who needed you so much!
I love rescue stories with happy endings.

My two (Henry and Yodel) are rescues also.

Glad you found BW.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World!!

I have a beagle and a mixed breed dog (both rescues)as well as two new kittens (also rescues).....

My two kittens are also named Tinker and Belle!! I just saw this introduction today, so I didn't know I'd stolen the names from you (Tink and Bella Boo have only been with me one week)

Looking forward to hearing stories of your two fur kids....A big hello from Maggie, Calvin, Tinker and Belle in Indiana!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts