Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there guys - came across this site by accident and thought it would a perfect place to set up home /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I've just paid my deposit on a beagle and a little baby boy (who I'm gonna call Bailey) should be arriving the end of May (fingers crossed!)

Any other Beagle owners in South Wales, UK please get in touch and anybody with any advice or book recommendations etc etc would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance and I look forward to sharing everything with you guys. I'll keep you posted!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World and congrats on your entry in to the world of beagles. I'm sure there are many who can share advice on rasing a pup, I'm not one. All my dogs have been adult rescues.

You may be the first Welchman we've had join us, there several English and other U.K. types around. Angelica (A Doghouse) resides in Bavaria does visit Wales.

My mother was Welch but her relatives came to this side of the pond between 1620 and 1700 so I know little of "home" country.

Welcome to Beagle World.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW! Looking forward to your first pictures of Bailey and stories of his adventures. Like Bob, I have a rescue who was adopted past her puppyhood and who is now a distinguished senior lady of almost 12. Lots of our members are experienced in puppy behavior/training -- you will learn a lot reading in the "discussion" section.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Welcome Jim and how exciting you have a new baby coming soon !!!

Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing the stories of Bailey growing up !!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Welcome, Jim and your soon-to-arrive beagle :wave:

Looking forward to sharing more stories and pictures. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hi there, welcome to BW. Good luck with your coming pup , you'll get plenty of help on here with queries.
Where about in Wales are you? Dave and I have lived in Germany for 40 years but still have connections with the UK. My mother lives in South Wales near Llanelli (where I was born) and my sister in North Wales. We are off to South Wales next month with our 2 rescue beagles.

Please keep us informed and ask for all the help you want
Cheers
Angela

·
Registered
131 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World!!! I hope you'll enjoy it as I do! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif And congratulations for your puppy, it will be amazing, believe me! My puppy (Milla) is still growing up (she's 8 months now), but I can't wait to have another :biglaugh: I adore puppies /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

G

·
Welcome - you will find some great tips and funny stories here. I've taken the advice of a few here and its worked amazingly well on my puppy.

Donna

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome Jim! Looking forward to hearing lots of puppy stories in the near future.
Lora&Tippi

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Guys - I'm so pleased to be a member of this forum and for all the replies /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif (even though I feel a bit of a fraud for not even having a Beagle yet!!)

I'm so excited. hes being born the end of March and I am picking him up at the end of May. So now the realisation is setting in and I'm looking at every book and making list after list of what I have to do and have to get, even though the breeder who is a lovely lady will probably tell me half. :hi:

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Welcome Jim and future Bailey. We will be waiting for your questions anytime. I started Charlie as a puppy, and certainly gone through the entire puppy stage. I'll try my best.
As for the off leash, many of us here would not recommend, beagle will follow his scent and be lost in the wilderness. Is there any chance to fence it off?

Charlie mom

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Are you living on the Brecon? I would not recommend you let the beagle run free. They are pure hunting hounds and Bailey would be off like a rocket. Loads of long walks and, if possible, a well fenced off garden, would be perfect.
Could you take some photos once the litter is born, we love pictures of pups on here.
Are you getting your pup from a professional breeder? If so, which one is it?

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Hi welcome to our newest UK member

I am Hellen,English and married to Aled (who is Welsh and who speaks Welsh as his 1st language and comes from North Wales. We live in Worcester UK.

We have three beagles, Caleb 3, Foxy-Roo, 2 and we have our new baby Gwenni (short for Brangwen) who is 10 weeks. My KC affix is Swn Y Don (said Soon Er Don) which means Sound of the Waves in Welsh.

Welcome to our mad but happy pack. Croeso!

We keep our beagles on long leads but they have been off in a secure gated field, they do tend to follow their noses I am afraid, they may have 100 per cent recall in a training environment but dont count your chickens that if instinct kicks in that you would be able to call the dog and overide that nose!!! out in the open (said after a life time of being around these delightful hounds, and cant they move when they want too!!)

Which breeder are you purchasing pup off? Gwenni was from Dufosee in Hereford.

If you haave'nt had a pup before you will be suprised just how wriggly and quick they are and what sharp puppy teeth they have!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow thanks for the advice guys - im not up in the Brecon, its just a run of the mill non-famous Welsh mountain but its huge, but hey if you guys are saying i shouldnt let him off the lead then who am i to argue?!

Can anyone recommend a long leash that i could use, It'd have to look good too, mind you - it's all about the accessories!! :cool2:

The puppy I am having comes from the line of a Beagle champion named Mikey, which has something to do with the Tragband Beagles which belonged to Andrew Brace. make of that what you will! lol

Even though I wont be having him for two months I am off to Petsmart tomorrow to get a few bits - I'm thinking that if I stock up now then the initial cost of Puppydom won't be as expensive - so if anyone can list a few things, again, I'd be most grateful /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

And dont worry - as soon as Bailey arrives and i take pics you'll be the first guys to have them!!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
O.K. Mister Jim, the basics you will need will be a bowl for water and one for food. We use the type that stands on a stand. We use a collar with the dogs identity disc on, and a harness for walking. Our leads are the type that can be wrapped arond the body or over the head and shoulders, so if you slip there is no chance of losing the beagle. Then you could consider a basket with comfy bedding. Before you bring the pup home ask the breeder about food. It would be a good idea to stock up with the same food to start with. Some people crate train their pups, i.e. make them sleep in a cage. We havent done this but they say it helps house-training. A few toys are also a good idea. A childs hot-water-bottle with a cover, is useful for the first few nights to help the pup adjust to having no siblings to cuddle up to. Some people also use a ticking clock placed nearby.

As you live in the UK, consider now whether or not you ever plan to take your beagle outside the country, holidays etc. Although quarrentine has been relaxed in Britian, you still need a good 7 months preparation before you can re-enter Britian the first time. Just incase, get your vet to microchip your pup BEFORE he vacinates it against rabies. It has to be done in that order. Then after the vacination one has to wait a month before the vet takes a blood sample and sends it to an EU recognised laboratory. You will then get a certificate to say the dog is vacinated successfully against rabies.Your vet will then issue a Passport for your beagle, which has to be kept up to date- i.e. the annual vacinations have to be done before they run out. The first time you have to wait six months before you can re enter Britain, but after that as long as the passport is up to date you have no waiting time. There is a final thing you have to do before re entering GB and that is the dog has to be vacinated against a special worm and ticks, a minimum of 24 hours and a maximum of 48 hours before crossing the border. Sorry, it is GB you live in!!!!!

If you see a couple with 2 beagles and a German camper-car, in April, it could be us.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's some great advice Doghouse - i was wondering what happens if I wanted to take Bailey abroad. I'm a Pub Manager at the moment and I have been offered to run a bar in Spain next year so I was wondering what would happen to Bailey. I was prepared to turn it down because of my commitment to my Lil' Man, but am I right in thinking I would just need the right documentation?!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.