Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is everyone!? :wave: Well I'm very excited to be a part of this community. Well, actually not quite yet. I need some help! I have been doing some research :read: on Pocket Beagles, and I am just about on the verge of getting one. But I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on what they thought of the Pockets :heart: .... Please help! I desperatley want one! Thank you so much! I look forward to getting to know everyone here! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts

Some good info:
Quote:Quite often beagles of this size are often only short by virtue of shortened legs caused by poor breeding or the dwarfing of chondodystrophy (see the Health problems page) with it's ensuing health problems. It must also be noted that many times it is impossible to predict mature size of a puppy, even when both parents are under 13". Birth weight may be a good indicator of final size, as is size at around 8 weeks, but they are no means reliable. If you want a beagle that will be small get one at around 9 months when the dog has pretty well finished growing, or from a breeder who has never produced an over 13". In this way you will have a much better chance of getting a small dog. However, be also aware that usually the smaller the beagle, the more hyperactive it is. But, there are exceptions.
http://clubs.akc.org/NBC/NBC_FAQs.html#27.%20%20W

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome!!!!!

I saw a pocket beagle, they are cute, but look slightly deformed (to me!!!!).

I guess they have the same antics and character as other beagles have, it's just the size. Beagles are great, I just love my Chloe and can't see myself without her. She is 13" beagle, red/white beauty.

Let us know when you are getting the pup. We also adore pictures!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW! I think the quote that Jamie posted covers why most of us would be concerned with you getting a "pocket" beagle. Here is some similar info from the Beagles on the Web website at http://www.beagles-on-the-web.com/questions/ :
Pocket beagles were bred in the 1300's and 1400's and were said to be about 9" at the withers (shoulder). There is no such thing as a modern-day pocket beagle and in fact, the term "pocket beagle" has become synonomous with poor quality puppies bred for the pet market, and often sold to pet shops. Reputable (U.S.) breeders breed according to the Standard defined by the American Kennel Club, which includes two height varieties: not exceeding 13" at the withers, and not exceeding 15". The light bones, high ear sets and toyish heads that tend to go along with very small sized beagles are listed as faults.
In addition to not breeding according to the standard, the majority of "pocket beagle" breeders allow many of the common genetic defects (e.g., hip dysplasia and epilepsy) to be passed along. The result is often an unhealthy dog. If you still want a small beagle, then consider the option of adopting a fully grown adult from a rescue or the pound. Most beagles are fully grown by about 1-1/2 years, and breeders can usually tell by about 8 months if a beagle will remain under 13".

You've come to a great place to find out about beagles - if you have the time, do a search in the "discussion" section regarding specific issues. You can also put in "pocket beagle" as your search terms and see what comes up.
Be sure to let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Shiloh & I welcome you to BW . :wave: I have included info on pockett beagle. The first reference about "Pocket Beagles" can be found in the Elizabethan period. Queen Elizabeth I- was known to have these type beagles. It is said that they were small enough to be carried in a glove or gauntlet. The standard of the British Beagle Club in 1890 stated "that they should be no more than 10 inches in height......should be compact and symmetrical throughout, of true Beagle type and show great quality and breeding."

The current British Beagle Standard and the current American Kennel Club Standard DOES NOT make mention of the "Pocket Beagle", at all. In England the standard reads that "the desirable height should not exceed sixteen inches or fall below thirteen inches. The American Standard has two size "varieties" 13 inches and under, or over 13" to 15 inches. Any dog over 15 inches in America can be disqualified from the showring.

The last reference to the "Pocket Beagle" I can located in a reliable reference is in the 1960"s.

While there may be a few beagles that have the genetic tendency to be very small, you must also consider whether the dog looks like a beagle or just a small dog with beagle coloring. Many structural problems, whelping problems and other genetic concerns must be considered when breeding beagles. Breeding for size only could be a disaster waiting to happen.

I would hesistate to purchase a beagle for its unusual size, especially if the breeder was wanting a higher price for this "rare" pocket beagle. One source states that a "reputable breeder" does not breed for pocket beagles. Pocket Beagles are DEFINITELY NOT a special size recognized by AKC.

FYI--you can breed two 13 inch beagles and get an entire litter of 15 inch beagles and vice versa. Or you can get a litter with some of both sizes AT MATURITY. Reputable breeders make educated guesses at 8-12 weeks of age; but no one can guarantee that a puppy will stay a 13 or 15. That would be like looking at a 6 year old and guessing if he will be tall enough to play basketball or be stocky like a linebacker.!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

Be very wary or anyone selling POCKET beagles. If they mean 13" beagles, thats one thing (but it does mean they are using bad seeling tactics. Either way, be very careful.

Keep in mind, as a puppy, you have no way of knowing how big that beagle may grow. It may be an undersized beagle (as advertized), it may be a 13" or 15". It could also be a mixed breed that may grow far bigger that you expect.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Welcome to the pack! But "True pocket beags"
went extinct in the Victorian era! Some "bred-
down" beags like Rufus are available but are very
rare! Rufus, was rescued from a family that have
never owned a dog before! He is 10 inches at the
withers & only about 4 years younger than Goober.
Both Rufus & Goober were "trained by Duke" that
was also a rescue beag & still holds our record as the most adaptable dog!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. I must agree with the others - PLEASE be very wary of anyone who advertises "pocket beagles". The information they've all provided is correct. I have a couple of SMALL beagles, but they are by NO means, "pocket" beagles - the few people I have known have been badly burned by these people who advertise "pocket" beagles. There are almost always multiple health problems. The others are right - you just don't know how big beagle puppies are going to be - my friend Deb has an 18", 53# beagle (he's my JoJo's uncle), and HIS full sister (Jo-Jo's dam) is about 11" and 20#. Not littermates but same parents. JoJo is someplace between - and her pups are all smaller, but their sire is a small beagle.
PLEASE do your homework and don't get involved with these unethical breeders who advertise something (at astronomical prices) that doesn't really exist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW!! Thank you for such a warm welcome. I really appreciated that and another thank you for all the wisdom that you all bring in regards to your adorable beagles. I'm envious! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I was also surfing the web when I came across :heart: "Jalapeno" :heart: under brushyrun?? with Kristine Kraeuter's name. I am very very interested in that dog! he is little, and I wrote Mrs. Kraeuter an email requesting info on this dog. Is it a puppy? male or female? what is the exact coloring? Jalapeno is exactly the dog i am looking for! I would post his pic on here, but I don't know how... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Any information you could provide for me on Jalapeno would be soooo appreciated!! Thank you all so much for your help. I can't wait to become an "actual" member with my own beagle. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well Kristine was one of our initial advice givers back before Beagle World. Joe (Murphy and Summers Dad) started Beagle World when the previous website folded. We tried to lure Kristine over but she was very busy. I heartily recommend her book and can assure you, she is a responsible breeder. I’ve lost track of her but her advice in training my beagle was priceless.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I did a search for bushyrun, but came up with no beagle breeders - do you have a link for it? I'm not familiar with them, but that doesn't mean anything.
To be honest, I am leary of buying a pup online - I'd be much more comfortable with a local breeder. My suggestion is to ask your vet (if you have one) for the name of a RESPONSIBLE beagle breeder in your area - OR better yet, if you have your heart set on a SMALL beagle, get one that is already grown - everyone here is right, you can't really tell how what size a puppy will be when they're little. I DO have a little experience with that. My Chloe is 3 weeks older than my Romeo, and I got them within a week of each other - Romeo was (and remains) OVER twice Chloe's size. She was the smallest beagle I'd ever seen, and is still my "tiny beagle", tho I do have another small female, Lottie, she's about the same height as Chloe, but much "chubbier". Within the same litter you can have a variety of sizes. My JoJo's first litter, she had 2 boys and 2 girls - 1 large boy and 1 small boy, 1 larger girl and 1 smaller girl. I have both the boys, and Jack is still larger than Joe, they're built totally differently - Jack is built like his "Grandpa Joe", and Joe is built more like his "Grandma Spotty" - much slighter, though BOTH look more like their mom. My Bella is also quite small - just a tiny bit taller than Lottie (her mother), but her sire is quite a small beagle (but by no means a "pocket" beagle). He is the father of Joe, Jack, Bella and Angel. Here's the whole pack! Like you, I love the little ones.
IF you're determined to look for a small beagle online, the last time I checked out Mojave Desert Beagles, they had some pups that are SUPPOSED to be small when grown. My Tanna is from the Mojave Desert line (Mojave Desert Santana) - but NOT all pups that they sell ARE from their lines. Tanna's parents are both International Field Champs, but he is really a pretty LITTLE beagle.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Do you have a link to Kristine's site? Would love to check it out.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Found this on Kristine's Website

http://www.geocities.com/brushyrunbeagles/

Welcome to the web site of Brushyrun Beagles. We are no longer actively breeding beagles here at our home. If you are looking for a purebred, AKC registered beagle, we recommend that you contact Linda Byerly (Twindale Farm & Kennels) in Rebuck, PA at 570-758-9220. Linda & I have been involved in a breeding co-op for many years, and have co-owned numerous Champions. Please feel free to contact Linda or myself regarding stud services, or the current availability of litters sired by our Champion stud dogs. If you are looking for a family companion only, and are willing to consider providing a home to a rescue animal, we suggest that you please visit www.Petfinder.com

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Thanks, Bob - but was unable to go farther than the 1st page, so didn't see the little beagle she was referring to. The little one on the first page is adorable, though! But then, ALL beagles are adorable.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by beaglesmom:
Thanks, Bob - but was unable to go farther than the 1st page, so didn't see the little beagle she was referring to. The little one on the first page is adorable, though! But then, ALL beagles are adorable.
I'm sorry, she had some beautiful beagles. Ten Years ago Joe (Murphy's Dad), Red, Jennifer, Sandy, and others inhabited a site called DogJunction and Kristine was such a prime source of information. She finally put all her advice in to a book "Training Your Beagle" which was and still is a best seller. When Dogjunction ceased, most off us ran off to the scenthound page at AcmePet which ceased the next month so Murphy's Joe (This is before Summer) started Beagle World. We just couldn't drag Kristine in to our little (It was then) group. I really think I have a healthy well adjusted beagle senior today because of Kristine sdvice back then when I had a untamed four/five year old rescue!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yes, you have excellent taste. Thank you for the link. By the way, Beagles Unlimited is "run by" Donald Potts, the "owner" of Mojave Desert Beagles. My Tanna is from Mojave Desert Beagles - his "legal" name is Mojave Desert Santana. I specifically looked for a small male with excellent pedigree to breed with my JoJo, so I have had dealings with them. Tanna is a beautiful small male - and typically sires smaller beagles.
Here's Tanna with his daughter, Bella. She's the only one of his "kids" that looks like him - the others, Joe, Jack, and Angel all look like THEIR mother, JoJo. Bella's mom is "Lottie".

Here is Bella and her littermate, Pochi, as you can see, there is a great difference in size in the two of them, and they have the same parents.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts