Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Andrew and this is my beagle Casey. He's 19 weeks now and is a handful, but we (my wife and I) love him. We got him waaaay too early (6 weeks), but we didn't know any better at that time (we blame the breeder, but mostly ourselves for not doing enough research). He's a great puppy - has learned all the basic commands like sit, stay, down, up, heel (but when he smells something interesting or is having an energy burst, he won't listen to anything). If you are wondering what an energy burst is, it's when he runs from room to room to room at top speed making soft growling noises for about 10 minutes. He's not aggressive at this time...just playing.

We go for walks everyday that it doesn't rain, but he sometimes doesn't want to walk. Actually likes to walk 'back' from places more than 'to' places. Is that strange? He also eats everything that he can put in his mouth. We are constantly prying his mouth open and taking out rocks, leaves, and orange peelings...last week even had to pull out someone's chewed gum...

He's very food orientated and understands the words 'hungry' and 'snack' so well that he licks his lips every time he hears them.

He's still very timid when meeting other dogs, so we are trying to give him more contact with play dates. The last play date went pretty well, but the two of them chased each other and barked at one another for about 2 hours (no biting other than play nips).

Any advice or tips here are greatly appreciated. W e have already read so much from the forums. Cheers!

Andrew, So Young, and Casey

Casey Photo Album

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
A huge welcome to beagle world!!! My goodness I believe you are the first members from South Korea.
What a beautiful beagle. From what you describe, you have a very typical beagle. This is why few of us dare let our beagles off the lead whilst outside the safe haven of our homes. At the moment Casey loves his home, thus the reason for being keen to walk back rather than away from. This will change as he grows more confident.
Ask any questions you wish, there will be an answer somewhere on this forum. Again, welcome.
Angela

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Casey is a pretty dog. We sure went through the prying things out of the mouth stage. Now that Maggie is older (nine months) I can't pry her mouth open but we have been and are still going to obedience classes and she has learned the command leave it which she obeys 95% of the time if we see her before she gets something. We are now working on drop it for those things she gets from who knows where and we haven't seen her in time. If she has something that I think would be dangerous I offer to trade for a green bean or a baby carrot. Not a good way to teach her to leave things alone I know but better than chancing swallowing something that might hurt her because she doesn't want me to have it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW! Casey is very handsome. Although I don't have a puppy (and am sure teaching methods are different as others here will advise) a good word that I taught my Maggie is "nasty". Every time she picked up something yucky outside, I would use the word. Now I can say the word as she approaches something and she will change her route. Looking forward to lots more pics and stories of Casey's adventures (which will, I am sure, be many)!

·
Registered
89 Posts
What a handsome dog Casey is. :happyhappy: Welcome to BW.

Angela
Willow & Katie beagles

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy, welcome to Beagle World and a big arroooo to Casey. Casey is a good looking pup. Whatever Casey didn't learn because of early removal from his siblings and mother, he has and will learn from you. Sounds like you did well considering the fact that like you say, 6 weeks is way to soon. There are several of us who have experience with rescues only while many have raised their loves from pups. As Casey gets older, training gets simplier and Casey becomes more of a family member and lesss of a puppy terror. Look forward to hearing more of Casey as he matures.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
:bounce: Welcome :bounce2:

Welcome Casey, Charlie said arrrooo, he is doing it as we speak in the yard!
South Korea Wow! It must be beautiful there, that will be our next trip.

Charlie mom
Rhoda

·
Registered
146 Posts
Welcome! What a gorgeous beagle you have there. The crazy running from room to room is commonly refered to as the ZOOMIES! and it is so typical. Puppies are so awsome, but you are right they will chew any and everything. My first dogs list included drywall, linoleum, a razor, two heating pads while they were plugged in, loads of socks and underwear and his first and only wicker puppy bed (stupid idea). Your pics are awsome.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World!! Casey is wonderful :heart: He looks a lot like my Milla, and from what I read, they have a very similar nature. Hope you enjoy this forum /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
345 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. I absolutely love that picture of Casey flutter kicking in your signature. It's cracking me up every time I look at it. By the way, Casey is one good looking beag... I love his facial markings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much for the warm welcome everyone.

As for Casey's facial markings, we picked him from a litter of 4 that all looked identical so he has 3 brothers out there that look the same as him. He is rather photogenic though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts