Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put down my 15 year old lemon beagle, Bruce... and am trying to decide if Annie, the 7 year old Beagle/jack-russell mix needs a new pup. Advice welcome

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. If you do decide to get her a friend, try to bring her to meet the potential new dog to see how they get along. I have had 3 at one time and there have been some fights over food, toys and attention.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Welcome. Very sorry for your loss. We lost a beautiful, wonderful Rot 2 years ago and it's still sad.
If you've had beagles you probably already know this but consider this a reminder. ..
I got my beag at 8 weeks. She was full of cute and MISCHIEF.!! I was home full time so I could dedicate time to training and monitoring. It was a non stop dealing with puppyhood. At times I cried thinking what have I done getting this dog. All despite reading 9 books on puppies. I spoke to other beagle owners and they all said the same thing...they dont calm down until 3 years... I sighed but looked forward to time passing. My dog is 8 years old now and she knows what I expect. She understands my words and hand signals ...a huge change. If you are home for monitoring and training then go for it. But if not... think it through. Or get a mature rescue and skip puppyhood.
Either way.. Cassie says hi.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
So sorry! Some people need time some people just go right into it again with a new pet. I needed to wait almost 2 years before I was ready. My daughter and son in law got a new puppy right away. It just depends on what you feel you want to do.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. The timing of another friend is going to be very individual. I tend to get animals quickly, but I know people who have waited for years. Either way works, as long as you assess the new addition properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts