Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got a new Beagle puppy last week (her name's Bella). She's our first dog and we're having one heck of a time training her with the pee mats. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on this? She'll sniff the mat and then go pee somewhere else half the time.

Also - she's a nipper. We try to get her to chew a teething bone each time she starts chewing on something else, but she just thinks we're playing and tries to bite us or growls if we hold her and try to calm her down.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My first dog was also like that with the nipping. I was extremely consistent with him. Every time he would nip I would sternly say no and if that didn't work, I would put him on his back and hold him by the chest firmly, but be careful not to push down too hard as to hurt him. Keep your pup in that position until she understands that you mean business, and that struggling will get it nowhere.

As with the peeing, my friend kept her pup on a leash even inside the house and whenever she would see the pup sniffing in circles she would either take her ouside right away or to the spot you want her to pee on. When she is on the leash, you can keep an eye on her easier.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My beagle does that whenever he is tied outside, so now I use a chain leash so he doesn't chew his way free. You can try that option if you like.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi there! My beagle puppy's been home for a month now, I know what you're going through! As far as housetraining goes, what worked for me (and what seems to be the tried and true method) is crating and going outside on a schedule. Ziggy was crated for an hour max. at a time, then straight out to pee. Once he was empty, he had supervised playtime in the living room for ten minutes, then out for a pee again (bladders fill up fast when they're playing). Then it was naptime again, and that's how the cycle went! He's almost three months old now, so we can be a bit more flexible with his schedule but that method had worked for us.
On the subject of nipping, I tried every recommendation out there and found that the yelp and ignore method worked best. Gentle mouthing was okay, but as soon as he used too much pressure it was OUCH!!! just like a dog would yelp and then I'd walk away, turn my back and IGNORE for 30 seconds. The pup learns that nipping means that playtime is OVER. Ziggy picked it up eventually, and he was a damn mouthy puppy. Punishment-type reactions never worked with him because he's an overconfident male that would fight back and cause more problems.

Hope that helped some!

·
Registered
250 Posts
i never used the pee mats. i think it teaches them that peeing in the house is ok and once you take the mats away then they will pee in the house still... i used the traditional stuff... take them out after every event.
so after
eating
sleeping
playing
or if none of those have happned in an hour
take them out every hour..

praise and lots of treats.. .treats work well with beagles.
when i was training diesel i always got super excited and ran over to him and gave him a treat repeating good boy, good dog petting him a lot and most of the time belly rubs...

it worked really well... its tough though cause most people can tell if their dog is looking for a spot when the sniff.. .but beagles are always sniffing.

so teach him to scratch the door. before you take him out. stop by the door take his paw and scratch the door with it. then open the door and go out and do the potty thing... it worked for me and now diesel scratches and patiently waites by our door to be let out.

the nipping will stop after teething and such. and dosent hurt as bad when they finally get their adult teeth. i used the ignore method. if he would nip me i would say no bite and be done playing for a few min. then try again and if he bit me again just say no bite kinda loud and deep voice. it takes patience but it works well in the end.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ditch the pee mats as they are a waste of time and money. Get your pup into a routine, every time your pup eats, wakes, drinks, stops playing, starts sniffing or starts to circle then take it straight out side and give a command like go potty or go pee-pee. Soon your pup will learn to pee virtually on command. When you pup goes toilet outside then greet every pee or poop like your pup had just won the Superbowl and World Series in one hit. They will soon learn that outside is the place to be. Crate training is great but you will have to get up a couple of time a night for a while to let them outside.

As for the biting you just have to scream and pull your hand away and turn your back on your pup they will soon learn that this is bad behaviour and grow out of it. If turning your back does not work then put them out of the room for a couple of mins and when they bite again do the same thing. You have to do it instantly so the pup knows that biting is being punished if you wait 10 secs then remove the pup they might have just sat down and then you confuse the issue as the pup thinks it has been punished for sitting. So instantly is the key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot. Those sound like great solutions. I like that there are so many people with the same train of thought. I also found this great site with free info on how to train. So if anyone wants a tonne of info on training (including crate, house breaking, biting, etc) check out www.perfectpaws.com

This isn't an ad, I just found it really useful and like I said, it's all there for free (printed out a little 33 page booklet to read through).

Thanks again everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts