Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is Chris, I'm a 28 yr old male in the United States Army in Korea. I love just about all animals, and it may very well show in some of the stories I may eventually tell on here. I recently got an adorable female beagle pup named <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: pink">Snoopy</span></span>. She's my third pet since I've been here in Korea. I also have a 1½ yr old male Siamese cat named <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: blue">Babo</span></span>. I also have a 2½ yr old male dauchshund named <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: blue">Georgie Porgie</span></span>, but now <span style="font-style: italic">he</span> lives with my ex-wife in Texas.

The biggest reasons I joined BW was to a.) share stories and information on the newest member of my family, and b.) to get some information on Beagle quirks and nutrition requirements. When I came to Korea, I had an adolescent Rednose American Pit Bull Terrier* named <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: blue">Pauly Walnuts</span></span> (Snoopy shares his lastname in his memory); but sadly, Pauly was hit by a car while staying with my parents in the countryside, <span style="font-weight: bold">RIP</span>. I learned so much about pet nutrition when I had Pauly, and I'm curious of how much of that carries over into the Beagle. I mostly fed Pauly Canidae dry daily with a 5.5oz Can of Canidae wet every other day. I also fed pauly green tripe, Grizzly Salmon oil, and treated him to a raw egg and some plain yogurt about once a week with acidopholis for his digestive tract.

<span style="font-weight: bold">*Disclaimer* - I'm not preachy, but I always have to give this little schpeel when I talk about Pauly.</span>
<span style="font-size: 8pt">I know American Pit Bull Terriers have a bad rap, and I know many people think they're volatile, tempermental, and dangerous. I would, however, like to offer some words in their defense. Just like any animal, APBT are a product of their environment, upbringing, and a direct reflection of their master; however, sadly I believe the only thing that sets them apart from any other dog in their situation is that they were cursed with a lot more strength than most dogs, and I believe any other dog in their situation would be the same way if they were strong enough to do anything about it. Too often you hear about APBT pets turning on their owners. Please let me remind everyone that by keeping an animal tied to a 2-5' rope/chain outside and only interacting with it once daily to feed it... does <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> make it a <span style="font-weight: bold">pet</span>, but rather it makes it a captive. Millions of people around the US own and Love APBTs and DO keep them as pets and never ever have a problem... but you always have those folks, that keep an animal, as merely a captive, and when that captive turns on them... rather than take responsibility for the years of abuse they afforded that poor animal... they sleep better at night by blaming it on the breed; nevermind that they neglected the poor creature and deprived it of the critical human interaction required to make any animal tolerant of people. I won't even go into the horrific & Illegal things some people do with APBT. So please, next time you hear one of those stories... ask yourself whether or not that was really a pet... or just a dog they kept chained up with no interaction; because believe it or not... if your Beagle, Dauchshund, Shitzu, Lab, or any other dog was treated like that forever... they too would be dissociative, viscious, and unkind... but they however, are nowhere near as strong. Please Love your Dogs, Cats, etc... If all you plan to do is put him/her in a cage in the backyard, tie him/her to a short leash, and only interact with him/her once daily for food and water... please find something else to amuse you, these animals need more than just a place to live... they need a life with love, affection, and a sense of family. If you can't or won't provide that, let someone else. There are plenty of people out there that will. </span>
[/Rant]
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">RIP Pauly</span></span>

Okay, so right now I feed little <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: pink">Snoopy Walnuts</span></span> Canidae Lamb Meal and Brown Rice Formula dry food, no wet yet (her little stomach just can't handle that quite yet. I <span style="font-style: italic">do</span> supplement her diet with a little plain whole fat yogurt weekly to help her GI Tract. Over here in Korea though, two things I've found out are that a.) They breed VERY VERY well. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: blue">Georgie Porgie</span></span> got back to the states and got registered AKC and has won some stuff (not sure what, the ex keeps me in the dark) but he's beautiful; and b.) They aren't too healthy when you get them. Both dogs I've bought here have had horrible stomach worms (no heart worms), and many friends' pups have had Parvo (FYI, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: blue">Pauly Walnuts</span></span> had and BEAT Parvo as a young pup, he was such a stud!

Oh yea, anyone have any advice on potty-training Beagle Pups? I live in an apartment here (very few yards in Korea. 99% of all unoccupied land here is used for farming) and I'm paper-training her. Im actually thinking about getting a plastic kiddy pool and filling it with kitty litter and trying to let <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: blue">Babo</span></span> Teach <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: pink">Snoopy</span></span> how to use <span style="font-style: italic">that</span>! Of course that would require scooping the litter instead of bagging it, but who knows... just a thought.

Anyhow, enough babbling and rambling. Here are some photos of my baby girl and baby boy:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: blue">Babo</span></span> as a baby kitty

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: pink">Snoopy</span></span></span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: pink">Snoopy</span></span> & <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: blue">Babo</span></span> playing</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">One More</span></span>

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Thank your for your service to our country. Snoopy and Babo are precious.
I'm sorry for your loss of Pauly. I share your opinions on chaining dogs, and agree that no dog should have to live like that.

All my dogs are adults, so I'll leave housebreaking tips to those with puppies.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Welcome to BW! First off, thanks for your service.

Your pup (and kitty) look adorable!! As for nutrition, I don't have much to add - looks like you're doing a great job already. Canidae is supposed to be a very good brand.

And I totally agree with you on pit bulls - they're very misunderstood. Can be great dogs if you treat them as well as people treat other breeds.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to BW and I join the others in thanking you for your service to the USA! Your gang is just fabulous. I think the addition of the plain yogurt to Snoopy's diet is a great idea and you are using a very nutritious brand of dog food.
I, too, have a senior pup but you will see many, many posts in our discussion section about housetraining.
Looking forward to hearing more about Snoopy and we love pictures!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Your critters are so adorable! I hope the housebreaking works out well. The litter idea sounds intriguing, but I wonder if Snoopy won't start snacking on what Babo leaves in there (I'm sure you've run into that before, though). My two beagles, both just over a year old, ate their own leavings for a while, though they seemed to grow out of it (and did not touch the coprophagia-curbing supplements I tried to give them). My baby sister and my older brother, now both ex-Army, were stationed in Korea about 4-5 years ago; they both complained about the weather and being a little bored, but I hope you're not having their experience! Hope to see lots more pictures of Babo and Snoopy.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy Welcome to Beagle World. A big ole welcome arrooo to Snoopy and gentle sniffs to Babo. Your love for Pauly and service to your country reminded me of a most decorated WWI Pit Bull mix named Stubby. His heroics and loyality are legendary. Look forward to exchanging tales about our beagles.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. I am sorry for your loss of Pauly. He was a beautiful dog. Babo and Snoopy are also beautiful . One of my four cats is a Seal Point Siamese and one is a Lynx Point Siamese. It sounds as though you are on the right track with diet and nutrition.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Welcome Chris!

Thank you for being there for our country!

And thank you for being such an outspoken proponent of a very misunderstood breed of dog. Bravo to you!

I'm sorry I can't help you with your puppy, we have all adult rescues (1 real beagle, 1 beagle/basset/dachsund mix, one border collie/lab mix). But you'll get plenty of help here on BW with puppy issues.

I am curious...how hard will it be for you to bring your animals back home to the States with you?

Welcome!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well,

when we took <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: blue">Georgie Porgie</span></span> back to the states, it wasn't too hard. Before they can fly, they have to have a US vet check them out (plenty on military installations) and they need to have their rabies shot. Plane ticket costs vary between breeds, but Georgie rode in the cabin & his ticket was about $250. However Georgie was only 5 months old when he traveled; hardest part for him was getting his rabies vaccination soon enough for him to travel (they can't fly for 30 days after vaccination).

I believe <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: pink">Snoopy</span></span> will need to ride under the plane as he will be an adult when its time to go home.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i too thank you for your service. i have two nephews in special forces and words are not enough. (in my job as marketing director for a regional mall, i hosted quite a few fundraisers for a non profit called Pillow Talk. they get new donated pillows and have people sign them with messages for our troops and then the post office ships them to our forces all over the world - i've been told the government does not give pillows to our service members in action... we do close to 30,000 customers on a saturday so we did a lot of pillows! one,very small way of saying thank you.)

i am a new member and new beagle owner of a two year old so probably don't have any good potty training advice either. but i too wanted to say good job for standing up for pitts. every dog has its temperment but i believe there are more poorly trained owners than there are dogs...

thanks.

me, i just have a broken paw - thus the poor typing. surgery next week!

AND FOR GOODNESS SAKE, I ALMOST FORGOT...YOUR ANIMALS ARE PRECIOUS!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Believe it or not... getting them into Korea from the US requires a quarantine... but getting them out only requires a physical @ a US Vet on post, rabies vaccination, plane ticket, and thats it. Truthfully, I was a bit disappointed shipping Georgie home. When we went to the Airport pet check-in, they needed to look at his papers from the physical & his shot record... but they never even looked at GEORGIE!
He stayed in his little carrier on the floor the whole time, so there's no way she could know he was evena Dauchshund... much less MY Dauchshund. I could have just BORROWED a shot record. lol

My ex-wife said they didnt look at him at all once she got to the states either. They were more interested in looking through her toiletries than the dog.

A few friends of mine said it can be a little bit of a pain when you bring them here to Korea FROM the US though... but that it was more of an interpersonal issue and not a legal issue.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Your critters are gorgeous -- wish I could see Georgy. I will always have a soft spot for Daschounds because we had three when I was growing up.

I'm so sorry that you lost Pauly
I, too, believe Pitt Bulls are not treated well or fairly. Here in Ohio people have to have $100,000 in insurance in order to own one. But, at least, they haven't banned them yet.

The pics are great! The cat is lovely. I do miss my two. Snoopy is so precious
Beagles are very independant thinkers; in other words, stubborn. They're like that because they were bred to be hunters and hunters need to make quick decisions. But they are loving, affectionate and little clowns.

Your food regimen sounds absolutely perfect, except that many vets advise to feed cooked eggs instead of raw because of salmonella.

So glad to welcome you to our group. Thank you again for your service to our country
Looking forward to hearing much more about Snoopy.

Monica and Daisy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here you go... Here's
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: blue">Georgie Porgie</span></span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="color: blue">Georgie</span> Again</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">One More <span style="color: blue">Georgie</span></span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">And Lastly, One More of <span style="color: blue">Pauly Walnuts</span> after swimming with Daddy; God Rest His Soul.</span></span>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
btw,

I fed Georgie and Pauly the same diet as Snoopy:

• Plain Whole Milke Yogurt - helps GI Tract

• Grizzly™ Salmon oil, eggs, & Triple Fish oil for their coats (you can get the fish oil for $10 for 150 gelcaps @ GNC. I puncture two caps and squeeze the oil onto his weekly supplement meal.

• Green Tripe - helps with proteins and veggies (Green tripe still has the grass from the cow's lunch in it.)

• Liquid Echinaciea - builds immune system (this may very well have been the difference between life and death for Pauly when he had Parvo. (I squeeze one dropper full onto supplement meal)

I know this all may sound like a hassle and I was reluctant at first, but the results are phenominal. This is NOT their diet though... these are given weekly.

Their actual diet consists of a quality dry food daily (NOT Alpo, Pedigree, Pukenuba, etc). Those contain a whole lot of grains and dogs cannot digest grains well. Quality foods are (but not likited to): Canidae (my preference), Wellness, Solid Gold, and Timberwolf)

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">When looking for a good food,here's what to look for:</span></span>
• Crude Proteins (at least 20%)
• Crude Fats (At least 10%)
• Crude Fiber (no more than 10%. I prefer <5%)

If any type of grain is the first ingredient, then the food is very poor and unhealthy. Chicken meal, beef meal, lamb meal... are not grains... they just sound that way.
Because they cannot digest the grains in most foods.... 50-75% of their food passes through them without being absorbed in the digestive system; so they end up needing way more foor to get the nutrients they need. If you give them a food with much less grains... they will require way less food to gain much more nutrients (because the foos has an incredibly higher digestible material content. They will eat less, but absorb much more from the food if it has less grain. Additionally, he/she will poop a LOT less because it absorbs so much more of the food into the body instead of just passing it all. A 10 lb bag of quality food will last longer and be healthier for your dog than some 15-20 lb bags. Plus they crap less... Oh, and their poop will be smaller and it will biodegrade in days instead of sometimes months... because there is very little undigested material in it.

I also will feed him 5.5oz can of wet food every 3rd day to mix things up. I would imagine dogs/cats dont want to eat the same thing every day for eternity, so mix up the flavors

Ok, enough rambling by me... I just thought I would share some pet nutrition knowledge for those thats are unsure.

the quality stuff costs a little more... but remember, you will be using a LOT less...theres no need to save a buck or two if you're just feeding him/her stuff that they will only digest 40-50% of. The cheaper brands are cheaper because they use the grain filler to create a large VOLUME of food (tricks people into thinking its more sustenance) and actually give you less nutrition. Pay the extra buck, feed him/her less food (but give him so much more nutrition), and for God's sake... make less POOP!

</rant>

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to BW and Congratulations on your adorable Snoopy. You're on the right track with feeding good quality food - having 9 beagles I don't like to scoop poop as much as I'd have to with a cheaper food. That said - I had a litter of pups here 3 years ago that I DID litter box train - starting when they were about 3-4 weeks old, as soon as they were weaned (up until that time their mommy took care of them). I got a fairly large kitty pan and experimented. Plain clay litter didn't work well - they thought it was great fun to play in. You can actually buy (here anyway) paper pellets, so I decided to try that - only I used paper from the shredder at work. I put a puppy pad in the bottom of the pan then put the shredded paper on top. It was so cute to watch 4 beagle puppies line up to go potty. My house is not really conducive to early training - since it's 3 stories - and this was a winter litter - so taking them upstairs, all the way through the main floor, then downstairs into the yard was not really an option. By the time they were old enough to leave they were all pretty well litter box trained. I'm going to try that again with the litter I'm hoping for in early October.
I co-manage a beagle group on MSN - and my co-manager got me interested in canine nutrition. She has her own library of information, so I learned a lot from her, including trying BARF feeding for a while.
Congratulations on your baby girl. She's adorable - but then so is the kitty - I have a fondness for Siamese kittens, but with 9 dogs in the pack, it's not fair to have a kitten here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would feed a BARF diet if I could get meat at a reasonable price here.

Here in Korea, the food setup is a lot different too. In the states, we usually have meat as our main dish with soup, rice, veggies on the side. Here in Korea... their main meal will consist of white rice and a soup, 4-7 small sides of veggies, and usually one small side of some type of meat (the type of meat varies, but beef is 3-4 times the price of beef in the states so beef is very very rare in most middle class households). Most other meats are reasonable priced... but historically, meat has always been a scarce comodity in Korea so over time it became less and less of a staple of their diet; replaced mostly with soy foods (not just tofu, they also have some really good soy foods also; one of them is alot like refried beans. Its a spiced soy paste they use for flavoring)

Anyhow... because meat (evenreasonable priced meat) isn't as readily available as the US, I chose not to do the BARF here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.