Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went up north for the weekend since Saturday was our anniversary and Sunday Toby's birthday.

The days were hot - 30C - and sunny. We were staying in cabins (no AC or fans). Xerxes likes to chew wires so we had the bedroom door shut (at home we have a gate) Friday night. Saturday we put a chair in front of it and that kept the dogs in and better air flow.

We swam Saturday morning (so did Neb) then relaxed reading. The dogs were on tie outs, and had access to shade and water, though Neb lay in the sun (he's part husky and double coated). I figured - well, if he's hot, he'll come into the shade.

Saturday he ate around 5pm, around 7pm I was making dinner and he threw up 3 times, kibble, in the space of a minute and a half. There was a firepit, and over the last year (when it hasn't been hot), he's eaten charcoal and grass while camping and puked. So we didn't fuss. Then as we were going to bed, he threw up three more times. And once while we slept (well, I slept - Toby is a light sleeper and apparently Neb paced all night - but he didn't hear the puking).

He was obviously unwell when we woke up - so the plans for the day to hike were off and we headed for home. He had a big drink then I took him out and he vomited water 2 times. About 2hrs south is the nearest emergency vet - by this time, we figured he had heat exhaustion and need sub-q fluids - we stopped there but they had a 4-6 hr wait and we figured Toronto/home was the better bet - and an hour away. He puked in the car once. We went straight to the e-vet. We were there around 4, 4.5hrs, but they did do bloodwork.

Of note - on tenting, they saw about 5% dehydrated. Hemo (I think?) concentrated and low potassium - his electrolytes were off. They said sub-q fluids wouldn't be enough because of how much he'd vomited. They said we could do x-rays to check for a mass or obstruction - but he's not like an eater of socks - and we decided to wait to see how he responded to the IV fluids.

He stayed overnight, I woke up at 5am to call and see how he was - better - so we didn't do x-rays. They were feeding him small amounts of food and he was keeping them down.

I picked him up just before 8am. He's walking slower, but better than he was on Sunday. He ate a small amount of kibble when he got home, and I regulated his water intake. He's sleeping a lot, but is probably exhausted from the ordeal - I know I am!

·
Super Moderator
5,068 Posts
Poor guy! That almost sounds like what happened to Molly last month, she was vomiting and not able to keep food or water down. Hydration and some nausea meds got her back in shape. Hope Neb feels better soon.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Glad to hear Molly's better!

Our dogs scare us sometimes, don't they.

·
Super Moderator
5,068 Posts
Yes, they do for sure. When I took her to the vet that day I thought it was time to say good-bye. I was in shock when they got her fixed up and she got to come home!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh poor Molly! And poor you! I know I am exhuasted, it's emotional.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Wow glad to hear "The Nebster" is feeling better...scary. i worry about Cassie on hot days being outside for any length of time. Now this morning it was gloomy and cassie didnt want to go outside.. she finally went out for the biz then went back to her crate. So I was worried something was off with her. I eventually put food down and she came out of the crate to eat then back in to it. Once the sun came out so did she...lol. she proceeded then to go watch for lizards and she seemed normal. .. crazy.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cassie is like, I go outdoors for lizards, and the lizards ONLY. Silly girl!

Thanks - he had a normal poop this morning and kept down 70g of food last night (he normally gets 80g, which we have him this morning). So he's getting back to his regular self. Better energy too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts