Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hunter is now 4 years old and I have never treated her for heartworm. When I asked my vet about it when we first got her, he said that here in Canada their are no cases of heartworm, so it was unnecessary. I recently heard that their are some cases in Canada, so I am wondering if I should start treating the girls. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If you have mosquitoes, you probably should test for heartworm and use a preventive treatment since mosquitoes are how heartworm is spread.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
yep...what Sandy said. If you ever have mosquitos you should do the blood test and use the preventative during those months that you do have mosquitos.

here is Florida we have to treat year round.....

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Actually you are very close to me! Your vet is right and he is not. I believe he must have meant in Alberta rtather than in Canada. There have been in the past 10 years only 5 documented cases of Heartworm in Alberta. 3 of them, the dogs were coming from BC where there is heartworm. One of them the dog came from a local shelter where he made his way as a stray so who knows where he came from and the last one was unexplained. So really, there is very very little chance for a dog to get heartworm in Alberta. Now, if you do travel in Ontario or BC, then by all means, do treat your dog. The same is true for fleas and ticks.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Gee - Alberta has all the oil, no rats (or so I have heard) and now I find out no heartworm either?! Well at least we have the ocean here in BC(filled up with all of our rain...)!

Some of the "all in one" flea medications include heartworm (and other worm) preventatives - we use Sentinel which does it all and isn't therefore any more of a pain than just going after the fleas.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by BookerMoose:
Gee - Alberta has all the oil, no rats (or so I have heard) and now I find out no heartworm either?!
Gee, now if it just didn't have snow it would sound almost perfect!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts