Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sherry went to the vets today for the first time since I got her for a check up.

She has a heart murmur. I already knew she had one because the fosterer said the vets told her she had a very slight heart murmur when she went in for her vaccinations.

But my vet said that it isn't slight at all but in fact severe. His exact words were "oh my she has a stonker of a heart murmur" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

She doesn't have any of the symptoms associated with the condition at all so he said that nothing needs to be done as her body is coping with it very well.

Other than that she is very fit, good teeth, no signs of mammary tumours, eyes and ears all clear and normal pulse and temperature.

He said to carry on with the amount of exercise I am giving her because she needs to be physically strong for later on when presumable it will catch up with her. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I'm sad about this but at the same time happy knowing that no matter how long or short her time with me is at least she will be having a better life.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Jennifer,

The good news is that since you know that thing is there, you can watch for and recognize signs and symptons when and if they ever occur.

Did he mention the reason for the murmur or if it associated with her age? Something that may or may not correct itself as she gets older?

People and animals can live out their lives with "stonker" murmurs, especially with the right treatment if symptoms begin.

It's scary to hear buy hopefully not as bad as it sounds.

My fingers are crossed, anyways.

~Denise

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are a few medications they can give for heart issues, depending on the trouble. Many are relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Geez, that's too bad. I agree with Gingergoose though about how it's better to know. Hopefully if it does bother her, it won't be for many years.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Among Murphy's many other ailments he has had over his lifetime, he too was diagnosed with a heart murmur when he was young. It disappeared long ago.

My advice, don't worry about it until you have to worry about it.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I agree with MD. Worry about it when you notice trouble. With luck it wont happen. Shall keep you in our thoughts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts