Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Beagles are normally VERY healthy, strong, rugged dogs. Not sensitive at all. Though, like all breeds, are predisposed to certian ailments. Health issues are usually mild like ear infections. But back issues are a known major problem.

If you look into ANY breed long and deep enough, you will find plenty of health issues. Enough to make you not want any pet.

I know of many people who NEVER took their dogs to a vet throughout their entire lives. The dogs never had a problem, lived a long, happy life and passed away peacefully.

Is not taking your dog to a vet a good thing? NO, of course not. But if something is wrong, a vet is most likely to find it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You also might get a skewed view by reading our posts. Speaking for myself as someone who has a beagle with a long history of health problems, it is very comforting to be able to share issues that come up with people who can relate and sympathize such as all our wonderful members of BW! Just keep in mind that there are many, many members who lurk and do not post who probably have very healthy beags.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
In general, Beagles are a rather healthy breed. It's unfortunate, as that is one of the main reasons they are used in laboratories for experiments. Some of us here have Beagles with more health issues than others. Jersey has had several stomach issues, all self inflicted. Her nose has led her into much trouble for her tummy. Otherwise, she's very healthy (knocking wood as I type!). Plus, you have to remember that the focus of the board is to discuss our Beagles. So it's only natural (like Judymaggie has said) to turn here for support when something goes wrong. Lots of people never post any problems about the health of their Beagles. They are noisy sometimes, and do often have separation anxiety issues (they are pack dogs by nature and don't like it when their pack isn't together...ask Jersey! Or rather, ask my neighbors!), but from an overall health standpoint, Beagles are pretty sturdy creatures.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
TD,

Keep one thing in mind about Summer and Murphy, they are both rescues. We know next to nothing about their lives before they came to us. Murphy was left tied to a fence and abandoned before he was one year old. Summer was a found roaming the streets in New Jersey, again before she was one. We do not know if they are puppy mill dogs or from reputable breeders. We took a chance when we adopted them and we will stand by them doing what ever we need to do to keep them happy and healthy.

If you are going to adopt ANY pet, you had better be prepared to live up to that long term responsibility. If not, don't do it.

Sorry for the rant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts