Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, seeing all the different posts about different dogs' health problems, I've gotten the impression that Beags are rather sensitive.

Is it coincendence? Am I being too sensitive? Or are Beagles high-matinence in noise, companionship, AND health? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Beagles are normally VERY healthy, strong, rugged dogs. Not sensitive at all. Though, like all breeds, are predisposed to certian ailments. Health issues are usually mild like ear infections. But back issues are a known major problem.

If you look into ANY breed long and deep enough, you will find plenty of health issues. Enough to make you not want any pet.

I know of many people who NEVER took their dogs to a vet throughout their entire lives. The dogs never had a problem, lived a long, happy life and passed away peacefully.

Is not taking your dog to a vet a good thing? NO, of course not. But if something is wrong, a vet is most likely to find it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You also might get a skewed view by reading our posts. Speaking for myself as someone who has a beagle with a long history of health problems, it is very comforting to be able to share issues that come up with people who can relate and sympathize such as all our wonderful members of BW! Just keep in mind that there are many, many members who lurk and do not post who probably have very healthy beags.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I come from a different avenue or point on the health issue. 90% or 9 of my 10 dogs have been "used" dogs and in some cases abused dogs. Some came with just minor health or behavior issues and tiny little baggage problems. And some came with major issues and steamer trunks of problems. I always felt that considering what they had been through they deserved to have the rest of their lives made as good as I could. It is my way of trying to atone for their past bad treatment. I have had 2 dogs that have had broken bones in their feet and legs that were never attended to and have therefore needed special attention to not make their situation worse. If that means expensive supplements to keep their joints mobile and healthy - so be it. For what they give to me I feel I owe them that and so much more. End of soapbox. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I worried about this also when I saw so many people having health issues with their beagles. Then I decided that since we are focused on beagles, of course thats what we hear about. One of my friends has a four year old boxer that went totally blind in a period of a few weeks from a form of glaucoma that is common in boxers, another friend has a springer spaniel that began having seizures at the age of three.I am glad to be able to read all of the health posts because I am more confident that if Maggie develops a problem I will see it earlier, be able to have a more informed discussion with my vet and of course come here for advice.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Based on the research I did before choosing our beagle, Duke, to be our newest family member, I'd have to say that beagles seem to have relatively few health problems compared to many other breeds. I have 2 older labs and labs have a number of genetic health issues, including eye and hip problems (which I am dealing with). All dogs will eventually run into some issues as they age, but the same can be said for humans.

I also think every dog is high maintenance at times (especially pups), just like a child. You have to be willing to devote time and love to them. But they are worth every second you put into them because, like a child, they are a part of your family and the joy you get from them can't be matched!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
In general, Beagles are a rather healthy breed. It's unfortunate, as that is one of the main reasons they are used in laboratories for experiments. Some of us here have Beagles with more health issues than others. Jersey has had several stomach issues, all self inflicted. Her nose has led her into much trouble for her tummy. Otherwise, she's very healthy (knocking wood as I type!). Plus, you have to remember that the focus of the board is to discuss our Beagles. So it's only natural (like Judymaggie has said) to turn here for support when something goes wrong. Lots of people never post any problems about the health of their Beagles. They are noisy sometimes, and do often have separation anxiety issues (they are pack dogs by nature and don't like it when their pack isn't together...ask Jersey! Or rather, ask my neighbors!), but from an overall health standpoint, Beagles are pretty sturdy creatures.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
TD,

Keep one thing in mind about Summer and Murphy, they are both rescues. We know next to nothing about their lives before they came to us. Murphy was left tied to a fence and abandoned before he was one year old. Summer was a found roaming the streets in New Jersey, again before she was one. We do not know if they are puppy mill dogs or from reputable breeders. We took a chance when we adopted them and we will stand by them doing what ever we need to do to keep them happy and healthy.

If you are going to adopt ANY pet, you had better be prepared to live up to that long term responsibility. If not, don't do it.

Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, nothing I've seen yet would keep me from getting a Beagle. I've met maybe two so far, but already I'm completely in love with the breed.

Sorry for all the questions. I never had a purebred dog growing up; it was all mutts, rescued from the shelter. And about ninety percent of the time, our 'mutts' were perfectly healthy. They did have the occasional bouts with vomiting (what dog doesn't?) but that's about it. But aside from the shots and getting them fixed, we usually couldn't afford to take them to the vet. I felt bad and guilty, but being a kid, I really couldn't do anything about it. Then my dad started working at a vet's clinic, and we were able to take the dogs in when they needed it. It was comforting to know that when we did give our dogs away, they were happy and healthy.

I just asked the questions to know what I'm getting myself into. The reason I joined these boards was to catch a glimpse of what owning a Beagle is like. The only two things that are keeping me from getting one right now are space and money. As soon as I have enough saved up for the purchase of the animal and supplies, plus a 'safety net' allowing for any emergencies, and we're in a house with a yard again, you'll be seeing more new Beag pictures up. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Sorry for the rant. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I'll get off my soapbox now. :soapbox:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts