Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've known for a while now that Caesar is getting fat, really fat. It started in the spring when he had knee surgery and we weren't allowed to walk him. Now even though he's walking again he's just getting bigger. I had him on a homemade food but stopped that because it is so hard to find bonemeal for the recipe so now he is on Origen. But I must have read the bag wrong because I was giving him twice the amount that he should have been getting! Bad beagle mommy. Now he's on the proper amount. Plus we have to make sure that all food is off the counter. Last week Emma pulled a full loaf of bread off the counter and we're sure Caesar ate most it. An entire loaf of bread!!! It's time to get serious about this. He's already had knee problems we don't want any more health risks. I weighed and measured him today. Are you ready for this? He's 40lbs with a 28 waist.
I'm going to weigh him every week and record the progress in a book. Now....it's time to go for a walk. Wish us luck.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We took Bodie to a dog park over the weekend. And a so called Beagle expert said he's over-weight. But you know what, we're not buying it. Bodie weights about 24-25 lbs. now and is in perfect health. In our opinion, he has enough weight on him so his ribs don't show. And as long as he's healthly and running around I'm not going to be concerned about his weight.

So use your judgement and if necessary your vet's. Especially taking into account the health issues. If you think he looks over-weight, give him one less scoop of food and increase the exercise if you can. Give it a week and re-evaluate.

Good luck!

·
Registered
400 Posts
24-25 lbs is definitely within range for a healthy male beagle.

Good luck to Caesar! It may be a bumpy ride, but it's worth it!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our vet said last year that Caesar should be about 26lbs. I think I'll pick up some carrots for him to snack on, I know he'll be hungry.

·
Registered
91 Posts
How do you like the Orijen? When I was in Calgary I fed my dogs Orijen but I found that the kibble was different from bag to bag, different shapes, sizes, very little consistency. The beags didn't care for it too much but I did mix in a bit of salmon or chicken to flavour it up a bit. That seemed to help. They gained weight on it too despite me feeding them less than the recommended amount.

My beagles won't eat raw carrots but I find if I steam them in some chicken stock they'll eat them for snacks.

I'm constantly battling the weight ... we get tons of exercise so I know the food is the problem. They'll never beg or lunge when we're eating, they just wait patiently for a little morsel ... it's so hard to resist those precious beagle eyes!

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Caesar loves Orijen, but Caesar likes everything. I wonder if he'll gain weight on it too. I hope not. What are your beags on now?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts