Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have previously had some aggression issues with Caesar but we've been working on it and he's been great for months now. Last night was differant. He started to bark at the front window for no reason. The blinds were closed and Emma (German Shepherd X) who is our resident guard dog wasn't concerned. He went into our bedroom and didn't want to leave. The dogs are not allowed in there unless we are there. So I tried to use my body (legs) to move him towards the door. He barked and growled at me the whole time but he eventually left the room. Then I was in the kitchen getting my lunch together for today. I opened the cupboard with the tupperware and he tried to get inside which is typical for him. Usually I'll go to close the cupboard door and when it touches his bum he moves out of the way. Last night was differant. He freaked out, growling and barking almost like a nasty temper tantrum. So Emma came in and barked at him which made it worse. I eventually got them both to be quiet but I realised that my foot and pant leg were wet. There was a few spots of pee on the floor, not like a full pee, but like he lost control and peed a little. We did recently change his food and (this might sound nutty) there is full moon tonight. I didn't yell or anything like that, I always try to stay calm (we watch a lot of Dog Whisperer). It breaks my heart to think that he was so angry that he actually lost control of his bladder. I'm at a loss to think of why he reacted so strongly.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
They have their moments. Make sure you remain alpha member of the pack. Our last beagle, Spotty had moments like that. If he does ask to go out then let him check that nothing is out there.
You have a female dog as well? The odd peeing can be marking. Snoopy does that occasionally to put claim on Susi.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well dogs certainly do pee out of fear/nerves/anxiety, and aggressive behaviour can stem from fear, though it doesn't seem to fit with your situation.
I can say for certain, I worked at a vet hospital and know that very angry cats will pee from fury. I only saw that when a cat was stressed to the max, though thinking about it now, it would have been linked to fear as well.
It's possible that your pup was stressed out over something and the argument with the other dog might have exacerbated the stress. Hard to say!
I do agree with the above poster, unwarranted aggression (esp. in beagles) is usually linked to pain - teeth, paws, ears, anal glands, skin wounds, things like that.

One more thing - the full moon thing isn't nutty! At my vet hospital, incoming emergencies and kookoo patient behaviour quadrupled on full moon nights like clockwork!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I took Murphy on a walk once a long time ago. He was very excited to go. We leave the house and round the corner, our next door neighbor calls us over and starts talking to me. We stop and a full blown conversation gets going. After about 10 minutes, Murphy had enough. He walks up to my neighbor, lifts his leg, and pees on her shoes. I was flabbergasted (yeah, an old word... look it up). She just laughed it off. But Murphy made his point, we continued on our walk.

·
Registered
837 Posts
There are two types of aggression in dogs. Rank aggression, which stems from the dog being over confident, and fear aggression which stems from the dog being under confident. Fear aggression is VASTLY more common than rank aggression, my behaviourist probably only sees about 5-10% of rank aggressive dogs.

A rank aggressive dog would not respond to something out of fear (obviously). If he is acting out of fear aggression, he's not angry or having a temper tantrum, he is reacting out of fear and anxiety, hence urinating/loss of bladder control. Obviously, it is not something that can be diagnosed over the internet but from your posts I would suspect that Caesar is fear aggressive. When does he normally display aggression? A dog can actually be both rank and fear aggressive in different circumstances, I have a dog here who is both in regards to other dogs - but as I said, fear aggression is much more common.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts