Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, I bought a few plants and mom transfered them into larger pots in the front yard. A few days later when I came home from work, mom showed me a few flower buds she'd picked up from the grass, saying she couldn't find the culprit and thought it was probably the birds (small, noisy, tweety kind, flocks of them here). Then the other day when we came back in from our walk, Boeing ran straight into the front yard, paused in front of a plant, nipped off a few buds and spat them out. I was right behind and saw what he did with my own eyes :angry: There's the culprit for you, mom.

I don't know why he did that. One of my previous dogs, a Westie mix, also liked to nip off rose buds. Poor flowers...they never got a chance to blossom /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Maybe Boeing mistakes them for fruit. Our first beagle, Bilbo, watched the ducks come up the garden and start eating raspberies off the bush. Bilbo decided to investigate and from that moment on she ate the rasps as well!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Tell Boeing it's "stop and smell the roses" NOT "stop and eat the roses" :lol2:

Poor Mommy! I would ask your vet if it could be some nutritional thing, if not maybe they have some good advice.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Henry is a fiend for vegetal and plant matter. He crops grass like a horse on our long hikes. And he gave me a scare a few weeks ago when he ate some weird looking berries. I found out what they were (Carolina Horsenettle berries) and that they were poisonous! Thank God for the emergency vet! (Of course, it was a Sunday) I induced vomiting to prevent him from having copious amounts of diarrhea for 2 days. He's fine, the crazo. He knows I get on to him if I catch him, so now he tries to grab mouthfuls on the sly!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I hate to say, Boeing is not welcome in my yard in Spring time. :biglaugh:
Marlin, my senior retriever used to nip off plants too. But it was kind of a remedy that pets do when they don't feel well, especially cats. They'll eat weeds and vomit later on. My mom said they know exactly what kind to eat to cure themselves. So did Marlin, he was sick, everytime he felt the pain, he nip off grass and plants in the yard, and vomit it out. He loved eating my tomatoes! But sometimes he might picked the wrong plant. But the vet and I were trying hard to stop him from doing that.
I hope this is not your case. May want to get some advise from the vet, may turn out not so funny after all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts