Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 week old Cosmo has been with us for a week now. He is still adjusting to his new home, hasn't been eating as much as he should according to our vet. He won't eat out of the bowl, I have to feed him from my hand or place the kibble on the floor then he plays with it and eats slowly one by one. A suggestion from our vet was to break up one of his favorite treats (liver bites) in the kibble. It worked great, he eat the entire bowl in a matter of minutes, then slurped down all of his water. As he walked away his sides were bulging, he looks like a balloon! He kind of burped and is still going to the bathroom 1 and 2. Is this from swallowing too much air and/or swelling kibble?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
From what it sounds - it's completely normal. When Chloe just finishes her bowl of kibble, she is a little bloated too.

You can also try and add a little warm water to the kibble, it creates a gravy like topping to the food, and the smell is much more intense and gets them to eat it rather than just play with it.
I would try to avoid hand feeding just so that he won't get used to it (they do!).

If you are concerned, make sure with the vet!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has deflated, today he eliminated many times (4 times so far) and its only 2:00 PM, he usually only does this twice a day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Purina puppy chow, its what his breeder fed him so I was told to continue feeding him the same (I don't know when I can switch). I want to switch to EVO eventually.

FYI. his elimination count is at 7, we have a vet appointment tonight, I decided to see what the vet thinks about his pot belly.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I would try a different food. Most of the Purina foods contain a lot of corn. Maybe you could switch him to the Evo puppy food. You might want to do a gradual switch so his tummy doesn't get more upset. Has he been checked for parasites? A vet visit is a good idea.
I do remember that when Maggie was a pup and she ate, her little belly seemed to swell.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yes, I agree with Jassy. You should probably try a different brand of food. I use Innova and couldn't be happier! Other good ones are Wellness, Merrick, and many more. There should be a thread here somewhere about how to analyze the food. Let me find it.

Found it: Here it is

1 - 7 of 7 Posts