Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 3 year old basset cross. He was really hard to housetrain, but eventually I suceeded. But lately he has been going to the bathroom inside the house at night while i'm sleeping. The thing that gets me is that I take him out to relieve himself right before bedtime.

I really don't want to have to crate him as he hates it so much that he has hurt himself trying to get out. As well as I wouldn't get any sleep with him crying and barking all night.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Are there any new changes to his diet or new pets in the house? I'd look at what's new and different since he's starting doing this. If not, I would try pulling his water prior to bed and see if that helps.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not changed his diet and I do take his water away later in the evening, but he still does number 1, and sometimes even number 2. Squeeker became part of the pack about 2 months ago. From what I see, they have recently bonded. Before he wouldn't really play with her, now they love to play tug of war all the time together. Do you think that is why he's going to the bathroom indoors at night?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Since it's getting cold now, maybe it affects him. I know I never wake up in the middle of the night and the past few night I had to wake up.
I know I am keeping Chloe in the crate more than usual during the night, just because I know that when she's in the crate she will hold it, and when she's not she will probably relieve herself by the door.... (and most likely not on the pad
) so it's easier. I take her out first thing and it works best for us.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know I should be putting him in his crate, but he just hates being in there so much. He has hated it with a passion ever since the first day I got him as a puppy.
The only thing holding me back from putting him in there at night is he has hurt his face and teeth pretty badly from trying to get out.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Work with him on staying there. Work with treats (sausages and such). Sit by the crate, put a piece in it and let him go there willingly, praise him and give him another one. Repeat this a lot, so that he feels comfortable and not anxious. Then when he goes there willingly for the treats, close the door, don't lock. If he is still calm, treat and praise, keep working in steps like that.
Eventually lock the crate door. Sit next to him for a while, then let him out and praise and treat.
He will get the hang of it. I even put Chloe in the crate when I clean so that she is not in my way. She just goes to sleep, and when I finish she is let out.
It's not magic, but I believe that within 2-3 days of working with him, it will work.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everytime I have to put him in the crate before I go to work I give him a treat. He is so distraught that he won't eat it until I am out the door and out of sight. (I know this beause I peeked in the window and I saw him eat it then)

But I will keep working on it like you suggested.

But in the mean time, I don't understand why he's been going to the bathroom inside the house at night.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I know what your going through. My two will be 3 in April and it seems at night they have regressed. So they were having full run of the house, but the past 2 nights they are back being locked in the kitchen. They only thing I can think of is its cold outside and they don't want to stay long. So I broke out there sweaters and now they go out with no problem. So low and behold the past two night they are waking up dry in the kitchen. I'm going to keep this up for a few weeks and then try letting them out in the house again at night. I guess its just constant training....

My suggestion would be do you have a room you can gate off and keep him in it or like Chloes mom said he will like his crate once he gets use to it... Good Luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's been 3 years and he still doesn't like being in his crate, but I won't give up trying to get him to like it.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Do you take him for a long walk before bedtime? When a dog is walking for at least 30 minutes then he/she will usually do a wee etc if needed. This might help.Is he doing a lot in the house or just a dribble? I see you have a new bitch, it could be he is showing that your house is his territory and Squeeker belongs to him. If we take Snoopy and Susi to a hotel they havent been to before, Snoopy will inevitably pee in the room, to mark it, whereas at home he is housetrained with no accidents.
Doing nr.2 is unusual though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He isn't just dribbling, it's a full blown puddle of pee. As for the walk before bedtime, I stay outside untill all three dogs have done #1 and #2. So the walk ranges between 20 min to 40 min (sometimes Squeeker takes a little longer to get her business done)
Jabroni always pees right away and multiple times in one walk. That is what is completely throwing me off with him peeing at night.

If it is the fact that he is trying to claim his territory and/or Squeeker(female), is there anything I can do to prevent him from continuing to do this?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Our two are about 3yrs old and we rarely have any problems. However, last week Daisy was peeing AND pooping in the house EVERY day. It went on for a couple of days and we finally related it to her not feeling well. She had eat a LOT of grass a few days prior and didn't throw it up. When I spoke with the vet he said it was quite possible it was making her feel sick and she just couldn't hold it while we were at work. After a couple of days all the grass passed and she's fine now.

If this hasn't been going on too long, maybe he's not feeling well? It wouldn't hurt to talk to the vet. Just a thought!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts