Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot this little game that I taught Dodger this past summer, knowing he’s a beagle and lives by his nose I took some sharp cheddar cheese and cut it into small cubes then he an I went out to the yard, now he was just a pup so he was off leash so that could be an issue for older dogs and leash rules, but any who, I took that cheese and tossed it all over the grass and said find Dodger find, and boy did his sniffer go....lol for the next hour no kidding he just worked that grass I had to drag him into the house, so today or this morning I got the bright idea of hiding his reward treats all over the house and the cheese stuck to all sorts a weird stuff, cords, hinges, you name a places to hide or bury a treat Dodger can either find or come close too and he seems to understand me when I direct him to lift his head up or point him to where to look, shows me how smart he is. It’ 2 hours now and he still thinks there’s more treats to find I even took him for a walk.... he’s so funny thought i’d Share this little game and the other thing I am teaching him is the take me home. When we are all done with our walk and he’s done his duty, now we have structured walks except for his business and when we get home that’s when I release his leash and say take me home and he’s been sniffing me down the sidewalk of the complex and with my help, slowly he’s getting use home with only a few side step distractions, and they say beagles are dumb? I just try to play and teach with Dodger a nose level he was bread to hunt so we as owners need to understand.... oh oh have any of you seen these scatmats??????? They are soo cool YouTube them some beagles that counter serf, ( like Dodger) move those suckers .....lol to cute

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
That's a great game! Good job!

Beagles are smart, but they think for themselves - I wonder if that's why people think they're dumb? You're right though, they're not at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If anyone think a Beagle is dumb they need to search YouTube for “beagle open toaster oven”. Watch it then tell me a Beagle isn’t smart as heck.

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
We do "kibble search" at our house. In warm weather I toss some kibble into the grass and let them search for it. In the winter, I use tiny Dixie cups and hide the kibble throughout the house under the cups and let them go find all the cups. It's cute when they try to get the kibble from under the cup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts