Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying another beagle, this time a lemon coloured one, but I have heard that two beagles together bark ALOT. What are your experiences with this?
I live in suburban area with 1/4 acre block so neighbours are definately in hearing range.
Are there any other issues that could arise with having two?
My existing male is just past 6months and i'd likely be buying a young (around 8 week) old female. Should i ease them into eachother to ensure jealousy/rough play doesnt get the little one hurt?

·
Registered
890 Posts
If they are already barkers, they will bark. If they are quite, they will be quite. The only difference is that there are now two sets of noses and eyes to find thinks that are barkable.

In terms of having them meet. They should meet on neutral ground so there is no territorial issues. Have them walk together on a long walk so they can feel like a pack. If it is possible to have them meet several times and walk together a few times before they have to live together, that would be great. The hardest part is if both of them are dominant, as they will need to figure it out between them who is top dog. You can help out by being a good leader and by designating one as the top dog and making sure they know it. Feed and give treats to the top dog first. If you are a good leader, they will follow your lead and your designations for the pack order. Of course there is always the possiblity that the puppy will decide she wants to be over the older one, and then you may have scuffles until they work it out.
When we first got Tucker, he was a lot younger, bigger, and more dominante than Cleo. We made sure they both knew Cleo was the top dog. Tucker tried to challenge it a few times and found out you don't mess around with cranky old woman.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! The idea of taking them for walks together sounds pretty good to me and something i'll definately do. After all, Beagles are bred to be with other Beagles...

I'm sure I will manage just fine, especially with the abundance of knowledge available here at Beagle World!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
100% agree with Tuckers Dad. Dogs, in my experience, always do better when not alone. Everyone needs a friend right?

·
Registered
118 Posts
What is a good age to introduce another dog? Gracie is 5 months (today!) and we are considering the idea of another beagle. My original thought was to wait until she was about 1 year as I would like to let her get through some more of her 'puppyhood'. A family member recently suggested waiting until she was around 2. We will probably get another young puppy and would like Gracie to be able to help with the training....is 2 a better age to wait for? To be honest, I would love to already have another lil' beagle running around with Gracie! (I ran across a post or signature on here that beagles were like potato chips, you can't have just one...I completely understand that now!)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Having 2 Beagles in puppy hood might be tough. Beagle #2, Vinnie, was the puppy that NEVER grew up. We took in a neighbors dog when they got divorced. Vinnie was about 2 1/2 when that happened. But after 15 months is when we started letting him roam free when we were not home and that is the age we feel he was done needing all the puppy attention and grew up, so to speak.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i bought an adorable 8 week old lemon on the weekend named Bindi. We introduced her to Milo who is 6 months, but he plays too rough for her so we have had to keep her at a friends until she grows abit and Milo learns to be gentle. I guess this is why your family member said to wait until your dog was 2?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Do you think that Milo may need to be around her to learn how to play more nicely?

As for barking, the only problem I EVER have is that mine bark when playing with each other. That's the most they ever really make noise. Otherwise, they are pretty darn quiet. They don't generally cause each other to bark.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh yes, we regularely bring them together to play and get used to eachothers company, but while we work and sleep, little Bindi needs somewhere else to stay... seperating them in the yard/house is not an option for me...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a pair, and they established their own little rules - someitmes with a very noisy argument...Luna is dominant and makes sure Lemon knows it, but they know that I AM the REAL boss.

Mostly though, they just tolerate each other - and miss each other when separated. Mine were rescues, though, so there were some other issues. Lemon has the stronger beagle drive and is more of the barker - Luna usually just joins in because its fun....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea the problem with establishing their own rules is that milo is approaching 7 months and bindi is only 9 weeks. milo is gentle with his mouth (even when her needle like teeth latch onto his ear or lip), but i cannot say the same about his paws and he often rolls her over... but i'm glad to say they are improving each time they meet and with much persistence, they are learning to be more gentle...soon she can stay here full time...

i'd love to post images but i am not sure how to....

·
Registered
890 Posts
Originally Posted By: Dinoz
i'd love to post images but i am not sure how to....
Click on file manager below where you type, CLick browse and find the picture on your computer. Add a caption if you want, then hit Add File. When you have added all you want, click done adding files. It is real easy. the only hard part I find is resizing the photos. Do this before adding them in as I have no idea how to do it after the fact. The photos can't be too big or they won't work right. For further instructions, go to the how to section at the bottom of the forums.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts