Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a little question about my Augie. We have a nice, large fenced in backyard that I let her run around in and she does a good job of it, but only if someone is out with her. She absolutely refuses to stay out alone and bask in the sun or relax in her dog hut. She is fine outside either running in the yard or on her chain until I go to walk in the house.

When I have her running around she follows me right in the back door which is totally fine, I wouldn't want to leave her running around the yard, even if there is a fence (I am paranoid), but when I put her on her chain, which by the way is very long and gives her pretty much free reign of the perimeter of our backyard, she will stop, not move, walk as close as she can to our patio door and that'll be it.

I think she has an idea in her head that I'm leaving her and never coming back. She'll whine and howl until I go back out and get her. Which is usually only after a couple of minutes with the way she carries on.

Am I wrong to be concerned about this? I'm just confused, I thought dogs were supposed to enjoy some freedom? She has all kinds of toys and her hut out there to play with and she won't do it unless we're out there with her.

I bring her to the dog park, with the idea in my head that she'd run around crazy like she does in the backyard, but I was wrong. She just stood there the entire time, looking at me.

Is there anything that I can do to get her to enjoy the outside and not get so scared when we walk into the kitchen to cook while she plays? Help!

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At least I'm not the only one!

When she is chained, she can see us. The only time I really leave her is if I need to get dinner going and our kitchen and patio are lined up so I make sure she sees me. That seems to make it worse, actually. Seems like she just wants to be by me all day. I don't have a problem with that, though

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.