Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a little question about my Augie. We have a nice, large fenced in backyard that I let her run around in and she does a good job of it, but only if someone is out with her. She absolutely refuses to stay out alone and bask in the sun or relax in her dog hut. She is fine outside either running in the yard or on her chain until I go to walk in the house.

When I have her running around she follows me right in the back door which is totally fine, I wouldn't want to leave her running around the yard, even if there is a fence (I am paranoid), but when I put her on her chain, which by the way is very long and gives her pretty much free reign of the perimeter of our backyard, she will stop, not move, walk as close as she can to our patio door and that'll be it.

I think she has an idea in her head that I'm leaving her and never coming back. She'll whine and howl until I go back out and get her. Which is usually only after a couple of minutes with the way she carries on.

Am I wrong to be concerned about this? I'm just confused, I thought dogs were supposed to enjoy some freedom? She has all kinds of toys and her hut out there to play with and she won't do it unless we're out there with her.

I bring her to the dog park, with the idea in my head that she'd run around crazy like she does in the backyard, but I was wrong. She just stood there the entire time, looking at me.

Is there anything that I can do to get her to enjoy the outside and not get so scared when we walk into the kitchen to cook while she plays? Help!

·
Registered
185 Posts
as to the dog park thing, do you have a neighbor with a dog friendly dog? maybe start her out with one dog and work her up to more...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe won't stay alone in the back yard also, and everytime I went inside at my family's place, she followed me, even during play with the other dogs.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Boeing wants to be outside when we are sitting out in the front yard, but once we go back inside the house, he wants to be back in too. I guess they simply love to be where we are and they don't want to miss out on whatever fun they think we're having. As for the dog park, I've never tried it as there aren't that many here and the very few that exist are very expensive. You have to pay the fees to get your dog in there to run around and play. So I just take Boeing for walks in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Sherry is the same. She's in and out the the dog door to check on me 100 times a day. She will stay out when I'm inside but not for long. Only long enough to go to the toilet then she's back in. She wants to be outside with Rosa but at the same time wants to be inside with me, hence the in/out in/out of the doggie door over and over again.

I think it stems a bit from insecurity. Rosa knows I'm not going to leave her but Sherry's not so sure. Maybe Augie feels a little insecure too.

I'm not sure about the dog park situation, maybe she just needs a few more times there to adjust and feel comfortable.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Mine don't really do that but maybe it goes back to what I've read here on BW over and over. Beagles are pack animals and hate to be alone.

And I guess some feel that pack mentality more than others.

It may have to do with their background, too. Especially rescues.

Who knows?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine is happy to stay in the garden, but if I'm in the house she'll keep coming back to check up on me - she just opens the door, makes sure I'm still there, says hello, and then runs back out to play. I don't know anything about chaining, but I'm wondering, when she's chained can she still come in the door and see you?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At least I'm not the only one!

When she is chained, she can see us. The only time I really leave her is if I need to get dinner going and our kitchen and patio are lined up so I make sure she sees me. That seems to make it worse, actually. Seems like she just wants to be by me all day. I don't have a problem with that, though

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Roscoe loved outside and would stay out there all the time, especially if we were out. Duke also is an outdoor dog and it's hard to get him back in at times.

Cassie, on the other hand, has no use for outside and will only go out if we are, to eat, or to chase a squirrel. Otherwise, she runs out, does her business, and runs back to the door. We call her the quickest potty in the West. LOL

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel expects to be with the pack (me). If I leave for work, he prefers to be outside but if I'm home, he only wants outside when I go outside with him. We have set his schedule so he eats in the morning when I go to work, patrols outside all day, handles all his toilet duties for the day, and when I come home, he comes in and stays in and with me until the next morning. Beagles were bred to be very pack oriented, Augie just wants to be around her pack. I don't think you should be concerned, it is a beagle thing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Blue was like that. One morning I left him out while I took a shower and I came out to a drooling dog that kept jumping on the door looking in for someone!! We got him in September and with Wyoming weather, it didn't give us a lot of time to get him used to playing outside. Our neighbor behind us has two dogs that he loves to talk to and that is why he now stays out. He likes to taunt them with his toys and dig up Mom's rose garden. I think after time, she will get used to it. We leave the patio door open and let him come and go as he pleases, but most of the time he would rather be out running free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts