Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted in a long time, but I think what has happened with my girl Cecil should be shared. For the pastnine months Cecil has been gaining weight. I Put her on a diet about three months ago and she did not loose weight. A friend of mine with 2 Norweigen Elk Hounds told me that this happened to one of her girls who was much older. Cecil will be 4 in August. It was hypothroid. Weight gain and high chloresteral. When put on a diet, no loss. I took Cecil to the vet for a wellness checkup yesterday and told her to run thyroid tests. Today the results came back. She has hypothroidism. Now she must take 2 pills a day for 30 days and then 1a day for the rest of her life. She will lose weight. My vet told me to forget the weight management things we had discussed and feed her as usual. This is not life threatening except for some Golden Retreivers. Please, if your beagle is gaining weight for no appearant reason and not losing it on less food, losing hair more than usual, or drinking more water, somewhat of a couch potato when in the past not so....get him or her checked out. Specifically ask for the check on the thyroid. I feel better now and I hope this helps at least one person.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'm sorry this happened to poor Cecil, but thank you for sharing this information; it may save someone a lot of worry someday.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks you so much for this information!!

I am so glad you found out what was going on with Cecil and that it's being managed.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing this. It is wonderful that you were able to find this out and can get the help needed to control it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My wife has thyroid cancer, they removed it, then gave her medicine to replace the thyroid. this medicine can have some serious mood altering effect.
like really emotional etc. watch Cec closely, and if she starts acting strange, or different dont freak. i would be a little careful about trusting her around kids for a while, and not alone with expensive items she may start chewing, etc.
my wife was a different woman for the first 30-45 days.
glad thats over.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Our lab developed the same thing as he started getting older-somewhere around 11 or 12 years old.

He didn't gain much weight, but became noticeably lethargic. We had his thyroid levels tested and started him on 2 thyroid pills a day. The change in his energy and alertness was very noticeable and came back quick.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally Posted By: ChabonclyMy wife has thyroid cancer, they removed it, then gave her medicine to replace the thyroid. this medicine can have some serious mood altering effect.
like really emotional etc. watch Cec closely, and if she starts acting strange, or different dont freak. i would be a little careful about trusting her around kids for a while, and not alone with expensive items she may start chewing, etc.
my wife was a different woman for the first 30-45 days.
glad thats over.
This is not replacing the thyroid. I asked about side effects and there are none. It's like taking chlorestal meds daily once we get both levels right. According to my vet, she will lose weight and regain her energy level. I might miss some of the couch potato, but will smile when I see her chasing her sister around and around again.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Thanks for sharing this information. I am familiar with hyperthyroid because it is fairly common in older cats but I haven't had to deal with hypothyroid. It is good to know the signs to be aware of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts